General Discussion Triathlon Talk » buying a bike this weekend and i have some basic noob questions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-06 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Perry, Missouri
Subject: buying a bike this weekend and i have some basic noob questions?

i am planing on buying a beginner road bike, either a trek 1.2 or specialiezed allez sport double

Question #1, are these good choices or is there a better bike for the price?

Question #2, are these bikes good for tri events?

Statement#1 sorry for being a noob but i was just going to make sure with the pro's before i buy

2010-08-06 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3027024

User image

Sherwood Park, Ab
Subject: RE: buying a bike this weekend and i have some basic noob questions?
I am by no means a pro...

Do you have a bike currently?

Why do you need a bike?

How much/often are you going to ride it?

Have you considered the additional costs of the required gear (helmet, riding shorts, gloves, shoes, pedals, road repair kit, lights, better seat, etc?)

Have you considered getting a used bike?

If you plan on buying new make sure you take your time at the shop and that the tech at the shop fits you properly on a bike. You need to feel comfortable sitting/riding on it before you say "I'll buy it." There are plenty of extra things that a person can purchase at the time of the sale which can/will inflate the price significantly. Make sure you include those items in your budget.

Both of those bikes are fine but it really will come down to how much/often you'll ride.

2010-08-06 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3027088

User image

Veteran
Perry, Missouri
bonafide - 2010-08-06 8:50 AM I am by no means a pro...

Do you have a bike currently?

Why do you need a bike?

How much/often are you going to ride it?

Have you considered the additional costs of the required gear (helmet, riding shorts, gloves, shoes, pedals, road repair kit, lights, better seat, etc?)

Have you considered getting a used bike?

If you plan on buying new make sure you take your time at the shop and that the tech at the shop fits you properly on a bike. You need to feel comfortable sitting/riding on it before you say "I'll buy it." There are plenty of extra things that a person can purchase at the time of the sale which can/will inflate the price significantly. Make sure you include those items in your budget.

Both of those bikes are fine but it really will come down to how much/often you'll ride.

i do not have a bike at the moment

i am wanting a bike to ride distances of 20+ miles for getting in shape, enjoyment and eventully competive events suchs as tri's

at least 3-5 days a week

yeah i plan on spending a grand for total cost of the bike which leaves $200 with those bikes  for for the helmet and etc

yes i have considered used, but could not find anything i wanted or wanted to pay for, so i said f it and going to buy new and get what i want  

i have test road them both and  i am pleased with them

sorry i should of been more precise and thank you for the response and advice! 

Edited by willose50 2010-08-06 9:03 AM
2010-08-06 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3027138

User image

New user
I always recommend used as well, but a new bike from a reputable LBS will provide a few nice perks:
  • professional fitting
  • usually free service for a limited time
  • possible returns for another if you change your mind
  • rapport with qualified bike professionals
  • support to your local economy
Both bikes are good choices in the sub 1K category, Trek and Specialized are quality makes but look into the others such as Giant, Cannondale, Felt, Jamis, and so on....  If possible get components with 105 or better, lower level parts will be louder, less durable and may require upgrading in the near future

Geometries are different from bike to bike, so don't get hung up over the name or color, fit and function are far more important. its hard not to be drawn towards a shiny new red carbon frame will full SRAM red, but remember, if the bike doesn't fit, you won't want to ride it as much no matter how "pretty" it is

>jersey walt
2010-08-06 12:39 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Both are fine choices for the price.  At a tri, you will see pretty much any and every kind of bike, from walmart specials to $10k high end tri bikes.  The number one issue is fit, and a close second (in my mind) for a noobie is the bike shop itself.  If the shop makes you feel welcome, even with a lot of beginnger questions, throws in a sizing (not just "Stand over the bike - yep, it fits", but a 30-45 minute sizing, where you sit on the trainer and they tweak the height of the seat, the handlebars, maybe the reach, etc), then they are a good shop.  There shouldn't be a lot of "upselling" - high pressure means they only care about getting your cash up front (as opposed to all the upgrades and maintanence you'll buy there later, haha).

If the shops are equally pleasant and close, then go for the bike that appeals to you more.
2010-08-07 7:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Perry, Missouri
thanks for the advice and pointers,you guys have been great, if i get one today ill be sure to post pictures

oh and anyone living in missouri its no tax weekend so it will be a great time to purchase gear and whatnot 

2010-08-07 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago suburbs
Heads up that Performance Bikes is having a double points back weekend at least by me. If you join their club, you get 20% in store credit. I just bought a Fuji ACR 2.0 on sale and got the credit. I don't think they carry Specialized or Trek but thought I'd mention this as the credit can help you get the extras on the next trip. The one in Lombard was mixed but I did get with a guy who was very helpful and did the 40 minute fit thing. Good luck!
2010-08-07 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Perry, Missouri
so i bought a bike this weekend!!!

its a brand new 2009 giant defy that i got $150 off and its freaking sweet, i bought it at noon and put 20 miles on it by 5!
2010-08-08 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3029543

User image

New user
congrats, the Defy is a good choice, what components came with it?

>jersey walt
2010-08-08 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3030865

User image

Veteran
Perry, Missouri
frameALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum
forkAdvanced-Grade Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer
handlebarGiant Alloy Anatomic Bend, 26.0
stemGiant Alloy 4-bolt
seatpostGiant Alloy, 30.9
saddleGiant Performance Road, Men's
pedalsCaged w/ Clips
shiftersShimano 2300
front derailleurShimano 2203
rear derailleurShimano 2300
brakesTektro Giant specific TK-R710, Dual Pivot
brake leversShimano 2300, Short Reach
cassetteSRAM PG 850 12x26, 8-speed
chainKMC Z7
cranksFSA Tempo, 30/42/52
bbCartridge
rimsGiant Sport Road, Double Wall
hubs[F] Formula Sealed, [R] Shimano 2200, 32h
spokesStainless Steel
tiresKenda Kriterium, 700x25

this is just copied from the website but i plan on replacing the shimano stuff

its blue,black and silver

Edited by willose50 2010-08-08 9:47 PM
2010-08-09 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations on the new bike.  While the Shimano 2300 components are at the low end of their line, they should last you for quite a while and will perform more than adequately for someone just starting out in cycling, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace them before they're worn out.  Your time is better spent riding the bike.

2010-08-09 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3032214

User image

Veteran
Perry, Missouri
thanks man!

i was just told that everybody replaces them, so i was just following the crowd, but yeah i am defently enjoying the bike, i will probably have a 100 miles on it before to long  
2010-08-09 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Perry, Missouri
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » buying a bike this weekend and i have some basic noob questions? Rss Feed