DQ Events
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 20s
Overall Rank = 125/250
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up 4am. Can't remember what I ate, maybe steel oats w/pb and liquids including coffee from D&D which makes me pee = no good. Foam rolled, got packed up and drove to race.
Event warmup:

Got to race early enough to not have to rush. Set up transition farthest from lake being it was my first tri and just wanted to be out of everyone's way. Jogged in flip flops to get numbers and register and then jogged back (~400m total warmup). Didn't want to ruin my precious transition setup with putting on sneaks and running,, I just let it fly. Peed a few times from so much water and D&D coffee. I won't make that mistake again. Hung out with tri-training team that actually made it through class and showed up for race which was about 8 of us. I felt good with a little stretch and just wanted to get it on.
Put on wetsuit and just made it to start and then waited for 10-15 minutes so people who showed up late could get to starting line. Race started somewhat late.
Swim
  • 8h 02m
  • 400 meters
  • 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

First open water swim in first tri, need I say more?
Started first 10 strokes with intention to breathe but never did. Panicked. Swam breast stroke just to move forward and figure out what to do. Then went into freestyle, taking breath every stroke on left and blowing out while sighting straight like my head was in water but it never went back into water face first. This worked very well and I guess the suit got me a pretty good time for my level in my opinion.
What would you do differently?:

I swam a bit in my teens, none more for 15 years, then relearned to swim during class. Put in about a dozen practice swims and that got me through.
I would have practiced in open water and for longer periods.
Also I think good advise if you can only practice in pool,, close your eyes when face is in water to simulate the open water, can't see sensation,, it'll help.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

I was out of breath and walked most of way to bike which was farthest out. Felt lightheaded with cap and being flat in water, then out of water to run to bike without practice.
Caught my breath while admiring my wonderful T1 setup, then put on socks, bike shoes, race belt, helmut, swig of gatorade, and off slowly but with everything I needed.

Everything. My coach asked me if I got a manicure while I was in T1!
Bike
  • 38h 55m
  • 12 miles
  • 0.31 mile/hr
Comments:

First I got out on bike and felt good. Stayed with a fellow or two trying to figure out what to do while they were trying to get their shoes on that were clipped into super tri bikes. I think I was surprised I was near some of the "elite" and didn't want to offend anyone by passing them. When I realized this was a race I took off and felt awesome. Then heard the "TIE fighters" behind me and got smoked by the whoosh-whoosh folks throughout the rest of the bike part.

Get a TIE fighter, I mean tri bike with the closed back wheel and aero bars and aero helmut and throw in a bike jersey and sippy straw that sits 1.5"s from your mouth so you don't have to move to get a drink.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Good transition because I my setup was right there.
Felt the brick immediately.

Practice bricks more.
Run
  • 23h 00m
  • 3 miles
  • 7h 40m  min/mile
Comments:

The brick was hard on me. From the start I was miserable and hated every step. I'm not a runner anymore especially after biking and swimming.

Practice bricks and just run more.
Post race
Warm down:

none, went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

practice.

Event comments:

Good job organizing. I didn't know what to expect fully but read a lot and used this site a little so I figured I'd give back.
Good place to have a sprint tri with nice people.

Last updated: 2010-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
08:02:00 | 400 meters | 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 115/250
Performance: Below average
Suit: sleeveless xterra basic
Course: Out and back, simple.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
38:55:00 | 12 miles | 0.31 mile/hr
Overall: 120/250
Wind: Little
Course: Road was ok. Couple little up and downs to get over major roads. Otherwise very flat and straight.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: ?
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
23:00:00 | 03 miles | 7h 40m  min/mile
Overall: 0/250
Course: Course was around b-ball field (sandy), then down road, into street with houses and turn around and head back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %same
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes