Roxboro, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
Total Time = 1h 53m 48s
Overall Rank = 133/153
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke 4:50, took too long cooking a 2 egg, turkey, and provolone wrap, left 5:30, arrived just before 7. Drank a Coke on the way. Ate half a Powerbar 30 minutes before start.
Event warmup:

Jog top the water and very little swimming and treading water before the start.
Swim
  • 24m 19s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Last in my AG and damn near last overall. Right from the start I just couldn't hang with anyone, we were just 2 different speeds. I eventually held the gap more steady so I must have gotten faster or they got slower. The next 2 waves caught me, at least I got a little more drafting. Besides my speed everything else went pretty well. I swam straight, rounded the buoys well and even drafted well when I could keep up.

Good thing there were two guys pulling us up because I might not have made it out of the lake otherwise, I was beat.
What would you do differently?:

Train.
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

I was whipped. I almost fell running in, just couldn't get my balance. I walked a lot. I forgot my towel so I couldn't wipe my feet. Thought about trying to rinse them before rolling my socks on. I actually had to think, "Do we run or bike next?" I was feeling drunk.

I might have trotted a little with the bike, but I just got out of the way and took my time mounting. Even talked to Jason I think about just enjoying the day.

Train for the swim so I can hurry in T1. Remember to take my gel running in.
Bike
  • 55m 17s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Starting out I had to refocus. Took my gel and got up to speed fine. Then this white SUV showed up and couldn't pass anyone. Cars and trucks backed up behind him. For awhile they'd pass and pull away, then I would catch up, then they got really stuck and I was literally just spinning my wheels. Luckily after turning off 49 this wasn't an issue.

I had given up on any kind of result, but I did tear it up when I could and held it together somewhat on all the freakn mountains, well they seemed like mountains to me.

Drank almost 20 oz of water and probably 8-12 oz of Gatorade. Took a gel half way. Dismount was perfect. I actually had to slow down running behind a guy carrying his bike with the disc wheel into T2. I felt really good, though somewhat tired.

If I had time goals for this race I probably should have been aggressive and squeezed past thosecars on the right.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Decided before the race that although I rack by the seat to get out quick, I would rack by the handle bars in T2 because the bike is more stable. Screwed it up hitting the aero bottle on the rack. Just a little trouble shifting gears to running. Did good grabbing the hat with race belt attached.

Better mental focus and switching gears.
Run
  • 29m 54s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Loved the run although it was tough. I was breathing too hard right from the start. Took a gel first thing. Stayed with a lady who turned out to be on the podium for the Athenas most of the way, I had room, but my legs just didn't want to pass. Drank less than a cup between the two aid stations, dumped the rest on me for cooling.

Came up on a guy with 36 on his calf and my oxygen deprived brain thought he was in my AG. I called out something like, "In all fairness, you're in my AG, so if you care, now isd the time to kick my butt." And I found a burst of energy and passed him and the lady I had been struggling to keep up with. I thought I was closer to the end and held a much better pace. Then I felt stupid when I realized he wasn't in my AG, but I tried to keep it up. I kept thinking I was at the end and kept accelerating. When I finally came out of the trees for the last 100 yards some friends of a guy behind me were yelling that he had me if he pushed, ad they were very right. He was 40+, but did try to respond, I just didn't have it up that hill. This is the 1st race that I can remember considering walking the finishing chute. I didn't, but I'm scared to see the picture. The volunteer was a bit concerned about me and probably for good reason. I was overheating, couldn't move, and was thinking about where to puke.

Maybe not accelerate so much so r from the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

I couldn't open the water bottle, once I finally got it, I kept pooring it on me. Got my own Gatorade, then a Coke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

We made our own great post race activity. About 12 of us BTers met at Hog Heaven for a nice lunch and a great time getting to know each other in person.

The run is hard, but it is the highlight of this race.

Last updated: 2010-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:19 | 820 yards | 02m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/24
Overall: 147/153
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:17 | 16 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/24
Overall: 114/153
Performance: Average
Scheduled for 15, switched to 17, but was actually 16.
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:54 | 03 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/24
Overall: 119/153
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run, some very steep and very technical.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-07 8:43 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: TrySports Mayo Lake Triathlon

2010-08-08 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3029605

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: TrySports Mayo Lake Triathlon
Kickbutt job Mark.  You and I are cut from the same cloth; we love to race up through the field!  Why else would we sandbag on the swim so often? 

Really nice job out there.  It was NOT an easy course, but the conditions were good, and it was a fun day.  I really enjoyed the camaraderie on the course, and of course at lunch afterwards!  To be an individual sport, it's sure fun to share!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TrySports Mayo Lake Triathlon Rss Feed