Setup Events
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 58s
Overall Rank = 316/447
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Took the Friday prior to the race off. Good idea.
Did an easy swim with masters, 15 min bike to check the gears and tires and finished up with an easy 10 min run. All this according to my BT training plan.
Back tire had a problem with the stem. Took it to Right Gear and Jesus (Mexican and VERY good mechanic) told me to use telflon tape around the stem, to make sure the valve cap stays open. This only pertains to when I'm using the Flash Points. Picked up race packet, scoped out the swim and running route. Also, printed out the BT checklist which was a good idea.
Event warmup:

Foam roller for 10 minutes, leg stretches.
Got to the event a little late, so didn't have time to swim or run to warmup.
Swim
  • 37m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was definitely ready for this swim. Between the OWS practice at Lake Norman and the weekly masters, this was a lot of fun. Don't believe I could have gone any faster. That will have to come with picking up my pace in my morning swims. I was so comfortable with the swim, I was breathing on a 7 stroke count for some time.
What would you do differently?:

When I made the final left turn, I got bunched up with others and swallowed a fair amount of water. Nothing to slow me down, just a little uncomfortable for a few seconds.

Would not have done anything different for the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Did okay. Didn't do anything spectacular with this, something I should really start practicing though.

Since I'm still getting "killed" in this, I'd should start practicing with my shoes already clipped in at the start. I'll have to check with M.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 38s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.71 mile/hr
Comments:

The Infinite was a big player in all three events. NEVER did I feel tired in any of the events, with the exception towards the end of the run.

Not take the second water bottle. The aero bottle had what I needed for 24 miles and just sipped it the entire ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Not sure. But I know I may have taken a few seconds with changing my Garmin from Bike to Run mode. Not sure if it would have made a difference, but didn't want to take any chances. REALLY wanted the results.
Thought my legs would have been "heavy" after pushing it on the bike course, but according to my results the first run mile was my better time.

Used Blister Shield again in this race and will continue to do so. Had placed it in my bike and running shoes the night before and brought a second towel and sprinkled it on my towel.

Need to start running more at Skybrook. Moss Creek has some elevation, but nothing like Skybrook and with it being right next to Nomad, I really don't have an excuse.

Run
  • 1h 01m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Improving, but not where I use to be before foot injury. But if I'm breaking 10 minute miles on this 10K, I'm getting there.
Nothing really eventful on the run. Never really felt thirsty and only hit tow of the water stations for water, didn't drink much. Mouth wasn't dry, just wanted to make sure I was replacing fluids.

Train on hills.
Get to the event earlier to warm up on swim bike and run.
Post race
Warm down:

After I finished the run, I could tell I had pushed my limits because I was a bit dizzy afterward and had a little trouble focusing on the ground. Walked around for a few minutes, drank water, but then HAD to sit down because I just felt I might black out. Laid on the ground for a few minutes and started to feel better. Got a massage on my right leg hamstring and they did a great job. The day after it feels better and was told it was bruised most likely from the hill work.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, other than my right hamstring did "act up" on the bike course and felt it a little on the run.

Event comments:

Setup Events did a great job as usual. Everyone warned me that it's a little risky going to a new event, but I'm glad I did. Mostly because it forced me out of my comfort zone. Not sure if I will do this event next year yet, but will definitely consider Over the Mountain and look for another International. With my foot healed now I might make next year's scheduled a little more aggressive. We'll see.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:40 | 1640 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 221/447
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Square course, water temp was perfect. Ran into a LOT of swimmers in the beginning. One guy was right next to me on my left for the first 300 yards or so. Weird, because every time I looked to my left, there he was. I was spot on with sighting. I was to the right of each buoy and my left turns were all good.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:38 | 24.85 miles | 19.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 202/447
First sharp right hand turn on the course I almost wiped out! Skidded for about ten feet before I was able to gain control. Was very close to wiping out. But, with almost attaining a 20 mph average, with this hilly course, I'm very happy with how aggressive I was.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: I downloaded this course to my Garmin Connect site. This part of NC is very hilly and challenging would be the right word.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:32 | 06.21 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 249/447
Performance: Average
Course: One brutal hill and it was a looped course. Not an enjoyable run at all, but will say they had plenty of volunteers, water stations, very cold towels and support the entire course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3.8
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-08 9:38 AM

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
Subject: Stumpy Creek Olympic Triathlon

2010-08-09 4:48 AM
in reply to: #3029905

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Stumpy Creek Olympic Triathlon
Great race!  Congrats on the AG podium!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stumpy Creek Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed