General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winneconne, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 42s
Overall Rank = 36/
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Erica and I watched the weather all night the night before in the hopes the rain would pass over, but it didn't. We drove through a DOWNPOUR on the way up but once we got there it wasn't raining too hard. We both went to pick up our chips and get marked, but I decided I should probably get the bikes and gear. I went to the car and took everything out of the bags we didn't need. Set up was a MAD house because of the rain
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam around to loosen up a bit. The water was warmer than the air. Once they started the Oly waves, we got out and went for a short run to stay warm.
Swim
  • 09m 5s
  • 481 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

started in the second line in our wave of 50. Waited for the front row to start and followed suit. I drifted to the left big time at the begining, but managed to sight in ok. I caught a couple of backstrokers from the wave in front of ours on the way back in. The timing mat was a good 150 yds. from the water exit, so that has to be factored into the time.
What would you do differently?:

swim more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I had to put on my race number belt because I couldn't get the sticker to stick to my helmet. Transition was a mess and I had some trouble getting my bike unracked.

organize better. But I did the best I could given the conditions.
Bike
  • 45m 44s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.99 mile/hr
Comments:

First ride on the TT bike after the fitting. I felt FAST. there was a pretty good headwind on the frontage road for a good 2 miles. That came back to bite a little bit a few times. All in all no major hills or turns to write about. I felt REALLY good, like I could have gone for another 10-15 miles at that pace. I'm excited to get some training in outside now. I was in the bullhorns for the turns and I took them pretty slowly because I was afraid of falling.

More time on the TT bike for sure. I want to work on my biking big time. There is a lot of room for improvement.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

3 women stopped RIGHT on the line so I couldn't go that way. So I had to jump off and run around. I had a little trouble racking the bike, but once I had it there it was shoes on, tied, out I went.

get speed laces.
Run
  • 20m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

pretty good run. My calves got rather tight on the way out around mile 1. I slowed the pace a bit and got that under control. I had a woman almost cut me off so I had to grab a water basically from her at the turn around. I ended up dropping it so it was all for not. I feel bad about it, but I told her I was coming... Strong finish.

run more. Get faster. I've been working on the longer distances and it definitely showed here.
Post race
Warm down:

ran to the car to get Nadie and ran back so we could watch Erica. Once we saw here we cheered (Nadie even cheered a bit!). All the way to the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of swimming was huge, Also time on the TT bike. I'm going to work on those during the fall in the hopes to get them up to par with my run.

Event comments:

Great first sprint for anyone. Flat bike, short swim, warm water.

Last updated: 2010-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:05 | 481 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:44 | 16 miles | 20.99 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:44 | 03.11 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-08 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-08-08 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3030293

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great race! Nice times. yeah, that rain was a mess. Some funny stuff happened to me and luckily I laughed. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed