Subaru Triathlon Series & Trisport Canada
26C / 79F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 13s
Overall Rank = 241/438
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up super early and drove down the morning of. This time I avoided food completely. Had my coffee, three scoops of Perpetuem (yummy (sorta) cafe latte) in a water bottle. Drove down, set up, hung out.

The only problem with this setup is since I avoided any caffeine yesterday, the sudden jolt really stimulated my bladder. Sheesh.
Event warmup:

Swam about 100m or so just to get a feel. Felt good.
Swim
  • 16m 27s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Solid MOP swim, and my fastest race swim yet! Really happy about this development. This one was quite nice. There was decent open space at the start, there few quite a few people to draft off, some people drafted off me, I kicked a few people back (accidentally of course (no, really)), and I made it back well.

I missed a few breaths, and then it took a while to make up for them. I pushed pretty hard. It kinda sucks that pushing harder doesn't really make you all that faster.

Navigation was pretty good. I drafted some pretty good navigators this time. When I did lose the people in front, I kinda diverged sharply. But what can you do? Learn to be more straight?

Funny, there's really not much to say about this swim. I just really enjoyed it.
What would you do differently?:

Oddly enough not a whole lot. Become a stronger (literally stronger) swimmer maybe. :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Lost my rack again. Found a great bike position, but for the life of me I couldn't find it. Still not a bad transition time considering. The suit was a little sticky this time, but I managed.

Bad move though... I forgot to fill my Perpetuem bottle with water before the race.

I got onto the bike pretty well, but I wasn't pushing too hard through transition so it was fairly relaxed.

Be a little more liberal with Body Glide on the ankles.
Bike
  • 52m 24s
  • 25 kms
  • 28.63 km/hr
Comments:

Not my best bike performance. I didn't do my research and I had no idea we were going to be climbing the Niagara Escarpment! I was pushing pretty hard right off the bat, so you can imagine my surprise when I turned the corner to see the road go straight up.

Not only did I blow it up the hill, but this gave me a solid reason NOT to dump my triple ring yet. 2.5k of solid climbing can really blow the tits off you. Speaking of blowing, at least we didn't have to deal with the headwind when we were going up.

Since I forgot to fill my Perpetuem bottle, I only had one bottle of fluid for the ride. I squirted half my water into the empty Perpetuem bottle, but it made it a little too dense tasting. I could eat it, but my mouth got super dry.

Most of our time in the rectangular loop was spent with a strong crosswind. Didn't bother me much. And I didn't even realize until right now I didn't see a lot of solid disks pass me.

Still I wasn't very inspired on this ride. The loop was bone flat, but as tired as I was, it just didn't do it for me. My bike training has really fallen off the wayside, and it showed.

On the one part of the loop where we had a tailwind it was freaking amazing. Then the tailwind head start combined with going back down the escarpment was mind blowing. It wasn't the fastest speed I've ever hit, but at 66 km/h it was my fastest this year.

Overall it was pretty uninspired and a little slow at 28.6. The strange thing is my heart rate was pretty high. I've never been averaging near 168 on the bike before. So even though it felt like the slowness because I wasn't feeling it, it looks like I was actually pushing hard. Harder than I was in Gravenhurst.

And the placings don't lie. I still had a MOP ride.

Well... train better. Do whatever it was that I did before the Gravenhurst race. I think that time I did 80k hard on the Sunday before and had a couple small short outings during the week.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

A pretty good transition. I was still a little drab from the ride, so I came in relatively soft and took time to sit and deal with my IT band strap and shoes. I probably should have spent more time putting the strap on, because later during the run it slipped down and I took it off.

Put my strap on properly. That's what she said.
Run
  • 40m 1s
  • 7 kms
  • 05m 43s  min/km
Comments:

This was actually a pretty decent run. Not my fastest ever, but pretty close. Let's say it was my fastest 7k in a race. My IT band hurt around the halfway point, but I was able to continue without too much pain.

I was passed a lot, but I'm used to that. I was ready to walk so it could have been worse. It's a little discouraging to lose so much time on the run when I worked so hard on the bike and swim.

Train longer
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down and ate my goodies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm going to put the blame on the running again. It's going to be a common thread until I'm able to run at the speed I want.

Last updated: 2010-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:27 | 750 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/38
Overall: 186/438
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Frequency
Course: Rectangular course, along the shore, then out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:24 | 25 kms | 28.63 km/hr
Age Group: 20/38
Overall: 210/438
Performance: Below average
AHR: 168
Wind: Strong
Course: Up the Niagara Escarpment and then a loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 101
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:40:01 | 07 kms | 05m 43s  min/km
Age Group: 28/38
Overall: 314/438
Performance: Average
AHR: 173
Course: More or less an out and back course. Very flat with a little trail run in on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-08-08 9:33 PM

User image

Toronto, ON
Subject: Niagara Triathlon

2010-09-23 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3030866

Regular
Toronto
Subject: RE: Niagara Triathlon
I see you did several of the Ontario races this year.  Niagara was my first ever race but next year I'd like to one in the spring and then Niagara again (see if I can ride rather than walk up the escarpment next year!!).  Do you have any recommendations for one to do earlier in the year (May/June)?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Niagara Triathlon Rss Feed