General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Atlantic Ocean Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-08-09 11:08 AM

Subject: Great Atlantic Ocean Triathlon
I have registered for the Great Atlantic Ocean Triathlon on September 12 in New Jersey.  It is my first tri and of course I have the typical questions.  First, does anyone have thoughts as related to wetsuits.  If necessary, I plan to pick up a wetsuit and get a few swims in prior to the race.  However, is it recommended for this event?  Since swimming is my weakest event, does it make sense to use one solely for the benefits it offers (bouyancy)?  Or will I just get overheated?  Also, as a newbie to triathlons, and especially open water swimming, are there any recommendations as to placement to begin the swim in order to stay out of the faster swimmers way, lol.

2010-08-11 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3031999

User image

Jersey Shore
Subject: RE: Great Atlantic Ocean Triathlon
I am the race director for The Great Atlantic.  The .5 swim is challenging, and I highly recommend a wetsuit.  It will help you tremendously and give you confidence as you tire.  And you will tire dramatically if it is your first tri simply from anxiety and the exhileration. 

The choice is yours as to full or sleeveless.  I would look ahead, and if you plan to do some early season 2011 races, a full would be your best investment.  There is little chance you will overheat in 72 degree water and .5 distance in a full wetsuit.

Look for a mini-swim camp for this race coming up soon and try to attend.  They are produced by Jersey Shore MultiSport, and conducted by BPC Triathlon.  They have received rave reviews for their past clinics.  Click on their logo on our website to find out more info.  The date will be announced by weeks end.

Thanks for choosing Jersey Shore MultiSport, and get in that water and practice!  CW
2010-08-11 9:18 AM

User image

Regular
You HAVE to go with the wetsuit if this is your first.  It will give you a boost of confidence. Please make sure you have done that distance in the OCEAN prior to the event.  Take advantage of the swim training offer because so many people make the mistake of being able to a distance in a pool only to show up at the event and realize that there are 2 foot swells.  You either wind up swallowing a lot of water or panicking altogether.

2010-08-11 9:44 AM

Thanks for your responses.  I am going to pick up a suit today although Im not certain about sleeveless or not at this point.  I would like to use it in the Ocean a few times prior to the event and will look for the link for the clinic as suggested and attend.  I had previously looked and thought I missed all the clinics for this year.  So that is a relief.    Thanks again.
2010-08-14 11:59 AM

Subject: RE: Great Atlantic Ocean Triathlon/Open Water Clinic
Does anyone have any information on the open water clinic as mentioned in this thread.  I have not been able to locate any information for any upcoming clinics.  Thanks in advance for your response.

I got a wetsuit, and trying them on should be considered another event.
2010-08-19 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3043664

User image

Jersey Shore
Subject: RE: Great Atlantic Ocean Triathlon/Open Water Clinic
Thanks for posting here regarding swim camp for The Great Atlantic Ocean Triathlon . 

The ocean swim clinic is scheduled for Saturday, August 28th in Seaside Heights.  Meet where Hiering Avenue intersects with Ocean Terrace, (that is the transition area for Great Atlantic Ocean Tri).  Arrive for a 7am Q and A about swim and transition.  7:30am we are in the water, and will spend time wet and on land practicing and learning how to approach your ocean race swim.

BPC Triathlon, led by Dave Slavinski, will again be leading our instruction.  The feedback from their previous camps has been nothing less than outstanding. 

Dave is a world class triathlon age grouper, and teacher by trade.  His sidekicks usually include the very same people that are out of the elite wave swim first in my races.  Yet, they are very grounded and understanding to what the  beginner is thinking and facing in their first tri races. 

The swim is also supported by athletes who know they are never going to come out better than a MOP'er in a tri race swim, but have learned the tricks of the trade to help you achieve your goal, or even overachieve.  It is a great combo, and well thought out program.

There is no free parking in Seaside, so you can go to a meter or use the city lot right there on the corner.  The lot is probably your best bet, and I'll see if I can get you some help on rates.  That info would come in an email as the day gets closer.

info and registration is available at www.jsmultisport.com , and thanks for the great support here at BT.   I really enjoy this community and your energy.  Safe and smart training...

CW

2010-08-22 9:23 PM

Doing this tri and the swim camp next weekend.  Can't wait!  My first tri was the Jersey State Tri last month and I'm hoping for a litle less heat at this one!  
2010-08-22 9:28 PM

Don't mean to thread hijack but does anyone have any hotel/motel recommendations for Seaside Heights?  My wife and kids would like to watch me finish this one and I was thinking of turning it into a fun weekend at the beach for us.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!   
2010-08-23 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3057900

User image

Master
NJ

jimi75 - 2010-08-22 10:28 PM Don't mean to thread hijack but does anyone have any hotel/motel recommendations for Seaside Heights?  My wife and kids would like to watch me finish this one and I was thinking of turning it into a fun weekend at the beach for us.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!   

The White Pearl Hotel is quite nice but probly a bit more expensive than some of the other ones. There are a lot of cheap hotels there but you get whatcha pay for.

2010-08-23 8:45 AM

I signed up for the swim clinic and plan to do the ride afterwards.  Hope to do a few laps if anyone else is interested. 
2010-08-25 11:23 AM

Jersey Shore

If this is your first TRI or this is your first event hosted by JS Multisport.... You are in for a reat treat, Chris Wilcox is First Class, goes above and beyond and will be sure EVERYONE has a great time!!!!  The swim clinics are awesome!!!  I wish I could make this Saturdays, but I can not... anyways see ya all at the race its a great time and there is a Seafood Festival that weekend too in Seaside!!!  Good Stuff!!!

2010-08-25 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3058133

I'd rather pay a bit more for a nice place.  Thanks for the recommendation!

2010-08-31 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3064360

User image

Jersey Shore
Jim-  I know the White Pearl was the main hotel for MTV crew and pretty much full all summer.  No question the best facility around.  The Jersey Shore production crew are gone next week, but there may be a two night minimum still.  I like the Comfort Inn on Rt 37, Toms River.  Rooms are fine and they have a mini kitchen.  5 minutes from race site.

Looking forward to seeing BT crew there.  Both the super sprint and Great Atlantic are doing well for just our second year in existence.  Thanks for all the support.  Seafood festival and a great car show follow the race if you can hang around.  Last year we eventually made The Saw Mill for the Jet 1pm NFL opener.  May do the same again.

CW
www.jsmultisport.com

2010-08-31 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3074735

User image

Master
NJ

chrisw - 2010-08-31 8:19 PM  The Jersey Shore production crew are gone next week,
CW
www.jsmultisport.com

Awww, ya mean the situation's not gonna be around to body mark me? Gettin excited to  race!!

2010-09-01 8:16 AM

Wanted to comment on the swim clinic.  I thought it was great and the instructors (and director)were excellent which made the breakers and riptide bearable...for awhile.  Im still concerned as related to the swim, but definitely feeling more comfortable and looking forward to the event.
2010-09-01 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
I missed the swim clinic and I can't make the War at the Shore this year so I was looking at this tri. However I have had problems with aniexaty in the ocean and trust me folks it is much much different than training in a pool. I think the .5 mile is too long for me at this point but would love to find a tri that same weekend with a shorter swim. The Monmouth tri was cancelled. and I am still looking for a race to finish my season. If anybody knows of one please let me know.

Will you be doing any additional swim clinics? I would love to get down and do one. Thanks

2010-09-01 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3075734

User image

Jersey Shore
Mike...We were thinking of you when we came up with the Super Sprint. 

Most of Jersey Shore Multisport races are the traditional .3/10/3.1 distance. We go a little further on the swim because....Well, we are the Jersey Shore!  And we'll stretch the bike whenever we can, like Seaside's Great Atlantic Tri.

But .3, or even .25, is a big swim for many.   Jersey Shore MultiSport embraces the opportunity to teach open water swim, and then put it to work several times a year in what we call the "Super Sprint" distance. 

Our swim clinics, partnered with BPC Triathlon, have helped many as the above poster notes, (And I thank you .  You pay for that of course, and I know we deliver big value there.  But as RD, I win too.  The more people through our program, the better the race.  It is a proven fact.  And fun as all h*ll for me as well!

Anyhow, my purpose is to let you know The Super Sprint distance is available at Sept. 12's Great Atlantic Triathlon.  200 yards/7 m/and 2 miles are the distances.  It is a great course, and I hope you will consider it. 

We do one more beginner-friendly swim/race at ClamMan, October 3rd.  That swim is 1/4 mile in Barnegat Bay.  I set the course up so you can usually stand in much of the water.  Last year, we had 30 first timers.  I'm sure we will double that this year.  I like the idea of someone doing their first tri late in the year, rather than wait the whole offseason to try it.  It gives them time to get their bodies in shape and spend a gazillion hours on the web looking at tri gear!

Thanks for your posts guys.

CW
www.jsmultisport.com

2010-09-01 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3075398

User image

Jersey Shore
That was a heck of a morning Mheid!  You guys really did great!  I'm not going to say you are ready for anything though.  The ocean deserves immense respect.  It is a magnificent body of water, and I hope we helped you.

Many beginners think they have to "conquer" the ocean.  The truth is, first and foremost you must understand the ocean.  You'll never conquer it...No one can say that for each day of the season.  But if you come to understand how its' energy is displaced, how land and wind impacts the behavior, and figure out a way to take advantage of what it gives you....You will possess some of the necessary tools to help get your race off to as a good start.  Our clinics ask you to think as much as swim.  You need the thinking to have the understanding and respect the ocean deserves.

Next time you go to watch a triathlon, try to do so with a friend who knows swim, and pay extra attention to that area from the very beginning to the last one out of the water.  Watch and see some athletes do well, MOP'ers navigate and get to their other strengths, and undoubtedly you'll see others struggle, (especially in the ocean).  You can learn alot by watching ocean swim in a race.  And it will help you when your time comes.

Good job getting to the clinic.  make sure you get in the open water again before race day.

CW 
2010-09-02 8:05 AM

I'd like to get in open water again before the event, but there is this little thing called a hurricane which is causing me some issues.   Laughing  Hopefully next week clears up and I can get some time to do an open water swim.  Thanks again!
2010-09-02 7:55 PM

New Jersey
I try to swim at Seaside once a week. Start a mile south of the Ferris wheel and use it to spot. I will most likely be down there again next week after this weather pushes through. Maybe do a full course run through on Wednesday after the kids go to school. I will be signing up for this race later this week. I CAN NOT WAIT!!!
2010-09-02 9:11 PM

New user

Jersey shore
Anyone interested in doing some swims this week after the hurricane blows out let me know I am willing to meet and swim for extra practice. This will only be my 3rd event this year ( and I am in my first year) Its always good to swim with other people, and I would love the practice I could sure use it, its also my weakest link. 

2010-09-02 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3079789

User image

Jersey Shore
JS friends ocean swim 6am from Bridge Ave., Bay Head MWF.  Less people of late.  It's not a clinic, but if you give me a heads up I can arrange some supervision and help.

CW
2010-09-03 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3079846

I work in NY, live in TR, so weekday swims, other than the pool are tough...unless I take a day off.  That said, with a little over a week away, aside from Sunday or Monday I think I'm beat.  Will there be a 6 am swim on Monday? 
2010-09-03 8:26 AM

User image

Jersey Shore

The swim is on.  Should be west winds post Earl.  I think it could be a great morning.  Check back Sunday night.

CW

2010-09-06 4:30 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Seaside was like glass this AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Atlantic Ocean Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2