United States
On Ur Mark
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 34s
Overall Rank = 30/~750
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/97
Pre-race routine:

I had a banana and a mix of 4 scoops Perpetuem in 20oz water 3 hours before my start time. Then sipped on Nuun throughout the morning. Had one Endurolyte and a Cliff shot 15 minutes before my start and chased with water. Mixed 3 Hammer gels and 4 Endurolytes with water for the bike, and actually fnished it about 2/3 of the way into the ride. Had a few splashes of water and Gatorade on the run, but not much. The afternoon before the race, I drank a can of tomato juice. I did this last summer before a hot and humid race, and I felt it was my most solid performance up to this point. So I gave it a try again, and it seems to have helped. At no time did I have any GI issues at all. I also put on some CEP compression socks the afternoon before the race and wore them to sleep and all the way until I got set up in transition before the race. I have had issues with calf cramping in the past, but none on this race. So some combination of the tri-specific bike, the pre-race nutrition, and the compression socks did the trick.
Event warmup:

Quick swim of maybe 100 yards, stretch.
Swim
  • 09m 36s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

I swam farther than I needed to as I kept veering to the left. Behind Rank 1 (age group winner) by 1:45 (21 secs/100M). Considering I've never been a competitive swimmer, I was very pleased to finish so high compared to my peers.

What would you do differently?:

Navigate better
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Ranked 3rd. Went very smoothly. Rack was close to swim out, so had a long run out with the bike. Only 7 seconds behind Rank 1 (age group winner). Not much to improve on.

Nothing
Bike
  • 36m 46s
  • 14 miles
  • 22.85 mile/hr
Comments:

My initial reaction, after feeling SO good on the run, is that maybe I could have pushed it a bit harder on the bike. However, this was my first race using a heart rate monitor. My max is set to 195, with my Zone 3 at 136 to 155 BPM. I rode the entire bike at about 163-168 with about a 95 rpm cadence. So considering I was hovering right about my mid Zone 4 during the entire ride, I don't think I should have gone any harder. My training has been geared towards a HIM coming up in a month, so my training rides have been primarily longer endurance rides.

Perhaps by focusing a few weeks of training on a sprint race specific distance, I could get my bike power up a little bit.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Ranked 1st. Went very smoothly (other than as noted below *). 15 seconds faster than age group winner. Not much to improve on.

I did have ONE issue: As I was coming into T2 on the bike, I had already got my shoes unstrapped, leg swung over and had just got my feet on the ground ready to carry my momentum past the dismount line into T2, when the bike in front of me completely stopped cold. I had to jam on my brakes and my back wheel did a donkey kick (if I was still on the bike, I would have gone over the handlebars). When the bike came back down, I continued on towards transition. After about 10-15 feet, someone yelled out that I had lost my shoe. So I had so go back, pickup my shoe and continue on.

How do you keep your shoes from dragging on the ground when coming into T2? I was watching a race on TV, and the pros shoes are flopping around, too. So I don't know that much can be done. Any ideas?

So I learned a lesson there about dismounting and finding a clean line in front of you, if possible.
Run
  • 24m 12s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Ranked 1st in 3.5 mi run at 24:12 (6:55/mi pace). Faster than Rank 2 (age group winner) by 18 seconds. I felt AMAZING on the run. Very fresh. I was only passed by one guy not in my age group, and that was very early on in the run when I was still just trying to ease into it and stay within myself. Later on I passed dozens of others like they were standing still, sprinting the last 200 meters or so.

If I would have known I was only 31 seconds from a podium finish, I may have been able to start my sprint a little earler.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk a bit. drink 2 muscle milks, some bananas, water. Stretch, eat 2 PB&Js for lunch with some apples. More stretching. Compression socks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

My average HR for the entire race was 168, in mid Z4. I felt great at the end--better than I've ever felt for any race--even some shorter sprints. So I think my heart rate zones are set appropriately. Ready for the Prairie Man Half-Iron on Sept 12.

Last updated: 2010-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:36 | 500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/97
Overall: 0/~750
Performance: Good
155+, probably in 160's.
Suit:
Course: Started up front. A few went by me. finished 14th out of 97, which was better than normal for me. Got off course a bit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:46 | 14 miles | 22.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/97
My initial reaction, after feeling SO good on the run, is that maybe I could have pushed it a bit harder on the bike. However, this was my first race using a heart rate monitor. My max is set to 195, with my Zone 3 at 136 to 155 BPM. I rode the entire bike at about 163-168 with about a 95 rpm cadence. So considering I was hovering right about my mid Zone 4 during the entire ride, I don't think I should have gone any harder.
Wind: None
Course: Perfect
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:12 | 03.5 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/97
On the run, my heart rate stayed at about 173 the whole time, with my max of 188 probably on the sprint at the end. I kept a cadence of ~90 the whole time. At no time did I ever feel the need to slow down, and could have possibly run a full 10K at that pace ( I really felt great). As I noted above, my training has been geared toward a HIM, so I would imagine that helped my run endurance.
Course: Great. Nice spot ofgravel int he middle in the shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2.5
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes