Boulder, Colorado
United States
5430 Sports Corp.
Total Time = 6h 53m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 40/
Pre-race routine:

I was undertrained going into this race due to medical issues and I really wasn't sure how this day would play out. My goal was to finish before the cut off time without some type of heat illnes. Heat related problems hade have plagued me on the run.

I have a hard time sleeping on a non race day so I woke up at 3:50am which was before my alarm went off. I stayed in Boulder the night before the race and was at the reservior by 4:45. So were many other people. My early arrival paid off as I was able to secure an end spot on the racks in transition.
I met up with STMass,Zionvier and trimama530 for a pre-race BT group pic.
Event warmup:

Swim a little to make sure my goggles would not leak
Swim
  • 42m 58s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

My stomach started to bother me before the swim start. Never has this happened before and I was thinking to myself..."not now, not today!" I stuck to the back of the wave as usual to avoid being clobbered by the others. I was able to draft a bit more in this race as it was pretty crowded for the first 1300 yards. The bouys were nicely lined up and my navigation was pretty good. It wasn't until the final stretch where two men from the waves behind me made contact as they plowed through the field. I think they need to work on their sighting as there was plenty of room and no need to get even close to others at that point of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I can't think of anything. I did what I could do.
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

My Transition area was the farthest away from the "swim in" area.
For the the first time ever, I really struggled to get my wetsuit off. It got stuck on my wrist and then my foot. I tried sitting down to get it off and after making some headway stood up to finally yank it off. I wasn't trying to break and records in transition but this was very slow for me.
Bike
  • 2h 52m 37s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.47 mile/hr
Comments:

I am happy with my bike time and my second lap was 2.25 minutes faster then my first. I was fortunate to have cloud cover for the first lap which really helped with the heat issues. I made sure to drink a lot and even was successful with the two water bottle hand offs that I attempted. That was the first time I tried that. The only problem I had on the bike was some cramping of my hamstring and numbness in my toes. I had to take my foot out of the cleat a few times and tried to make changes in my position to help.
I left the 12-27 on my bike as I figured the pay off for the easier gear was worth giving up a more powerful gear. I am not sure that that was the best choice. I kept spinning out so quickly that I know I lost some good time just waiting to be able to pedal. (this happened numerous times). I have to say that this was one of the least painful (muscle related) bike portion of any tri I have done. Should I have pushed harder, should I have changed my cassette? Maybe. I decided it was better to be safe then sorry for this race. A highlight of the ride was chatting with STMass. It is so nice to see a friendly face out on the course.

Maybe change out the cassette.
Transition 2
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

I decided to use lace locks for my shoes even though I usually use Yanks as I was worried about the Yanks bothering me if my feet started swelling on the run. The lace locks were great!
I took a few seconds to put some sun screen on as well as make a stop at the port-a-potty.
Run
  • 3h 10m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

For me the heat was definately a factor on the run. Since I was so undertrained for this (especially the run) my goal was to just go out there, do the best I could do and hopefully finish without suffering some heat related illess that has been plaguing on much shorter distances. My plan was to walk the hills, run as much as I could beyond that and do whatever I had to do to try and keep myself cool and hydrated (I have never drank so much Gatorade in my entire life as I did the days leading up to a race). I stopped at every aid station to pour water on me, fill my hat and shirt with ice and grab spunges. This worked for the most part on the first lap. When I was running, I was doing an ok pace for me. The second lap things got worse. As much as I tried to run, I just wasn't getting very far. I spent even more time at the aid stations trying to cool off and even tried a few pretzels and some coke a couple of times as the thought of eating another Gu or Gu Chomp was not at all appealing. There was no shade at all and from the few race reports and comments I have read, that was a factor for people. While I put some sun screen on before the run, I have a pretty good sunburn (certainly all the water I poured on my didn't help). I used Salt Stick and I think that helped. I really wanted to run more the second lap and I really think that is was the conditions more then my fitness that was a limiter. My legs could do it but I just was depleated. The medic at the finish line asked me if I was ok as I apparently had blue lips. I told him I thought I was and indeed felt better after awhile. My shoes were completly soaked and everytime I bent down to tighten them up, I would get really dizzy when I stood back up. That was a huge indicator for me that things were getting worse. By the final two miles of the run, I made it a goal to finish in under 7:00 hours.

I am not sure what I could have done about the hydration/over heating issue. I certainly couldn't have done more then I did to try and keep cool. Better and longer training in heat would certainly have helped.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a short while and then plopped myself down under the canopy that my friends had set up along the run course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, training, training and the heat.

Event comments:

I have to say that I am glad I did this race and am equally as glad that it is over.
I don't have any other WTC race to compare this to but the race Tee-shirts were really really small and the finishers medals while nice had the wrong printing on them The medal says 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile swim. Huh? Shouldn't they have been able to get that right?

As a side note, 1700 people signed up for this race and there were a little over 1200 starters. That seems like an awful lot. There were quite a few pros that never even started.

It was great to finally meet Gaye and Pete and as always having Steve there made it a much better day. Also thanks to Matt (mcgilmartin) for volunteering and the positive words leading up to race day.

Last updated: 2010-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:58 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU V:1
Course: Sort of like a triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:01
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:52:37 | 56 miles | 19.47 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Two lap course. a few rollers and a long gradual climb for the firt six miles or so.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:10:38 | 13.1 miles | 14m 33s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-08-09 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: 5430 Long Course Triathlon

2010-08-09 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3032801

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: RE: 5430 Long Course Triathlon
Great race Kathleen, you had an fantastic bike leg!  I hope I wasn't one of the guys that ran over you, I agree there was a huge amount of water traffic the last 300m of the swim.  I was proud you were the 1st to 'chick me' on the bike course Wink.
I hear you on the heat, it was brutal out there!  Not sure how I missed you after the 2.5 mile dog-leg segment, might have been in the madness that was the next few aid stations...things seemed a little disorganized on the back side of the reservoir. 
Outstanding effort Tongue out !!
2010-08-10 12:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Great race!  IMHO that is one of the toughest run courses around. 
2010-08-10 9:13 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Nice job and way to hang in there for that run.  I know it's a hot course.  Congrats!
2010-08-10 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Yep, great race and you should be proud!  Very tough conditions too.  That bike was very fast.  You'll figure out the heat and the run.  Just some acclimation to do...
2010-08-11 3:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile

Great race!!        

2010-08-11 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Great race and congrats on pushing thru!  That run really can be brutal.
2010-08-11 7:18 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks Everyone!
I really appreciate the support!
2010-08-11 8:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Firestone, CO
Agree that run was hell! Congrats on the bike - great average speed with a negative split! Sorry I missed you guys on the pre race meeting!
2010-08-12 5:51 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Nice job Kathleen!! Congrats on finishing a tough race!

2010-08-12 6:35 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Congrats on finishing your HIM!  I know you were really concerned with the run.  Great job, especially considering the heat you had to deal with. 

2010-08-12 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Congrats on a great job....I wish I could bike like you!
2010-08-13 7:37 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed