General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I setting myself up for failure or injury. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-09 3:47 PM

User image

New user

Western Colorado
Subject: Am I setting myself up for failure or injury.
I have been an avid cyclist for 4 years now, both mountain and rode.  Aside from the usual group rides and family outings, I have completed several endurance type rides over the past couple of years.  Rides like RAGBRAI (2008 & 2009), Moab Skinny Tire Festival & Moonshadows, Granfondo San Diego Century and Copper Triangle (2010).

I decided to make 2010 the year of the marathon.  January and February consisted of running thoughts and visions only.  In March, after Granfondo San Diego, I got serious on my training for the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon.  I thought I trained hard enough for a sub 4.5 finish time, but it wasn't enough, finishing 5:23:23.  About two hours after the race, I decided to shoot for a sub 4.5 marathon at the Denver Rock & Roll Marathon in October.  The good news is that I have shed almost 40 pounds since March (was 227, now 189 lbs.).  My bike thanks me every ride Smile  I will finish the Denver marathon in under 4:30!

Sometime between June and now, I got the crazy idea to give triathlons a shot.  I have never been one to go small, go big or go home, right?  So I have registered for an Olympic distance tri that is 6 weeks away.  As of today (8/9/2010) my running consists of three 7 mile runs a week and two, sometimes three, 25-45 mile rides with ~2000 feet of climb a week.  You notice swims are not in that weekly workout agenda?

Is it feasible to think that adding two, 45 minute swim sessions in a pool 2X a week for the next 5 weeks will have me ready to finish an Olympic tri?

Any advice or suggestions is welcomed and will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

2010-08-09 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3032879

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Am I setting myself up for failure or injury.

Can you swim at all, or are you starting from zero?

2010-08-09 3:50 PM

User image

Depends. what's your swimming history (as in training, not playing marco polo)?
2010-08-09 3:55 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
That's not an overly ambitous change, imo.  You also need to tell us how good of a swimmer you are before we can tell you if its enough.

FWIW I went with an overly ambitious 'Go Big or Go Home' attitude when I went into this sport as well.  It didn't work out to well and I would advise against it. 
2010-08-09 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3032889

User image

New user

Western Colorado
I wouldn't say I am starting from zero.  I have some swimming background, surfing in youth then military basic swimming quals when in the Navy.
2010-08-09 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3032907

User image

New user

Western Colorado
furiousferret - 2010-08-09 2:55 PM That's not an overly ambitous change, imo.  You also need to tell us how good of a swimmer you are before we can tell you if its enough.

FWIW I went with an overly ambitious 'Go Big or Go Home' attitude when I went into this sport as well.  It didn't work out to well and I would advise against it. 

I will swim tomorrow morning in the local gym's pool and let you know how I do and then maybe you can let me know if I am overly ambitious. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I setting myself up for failure or injury. Rss Feed