General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean City NJ Tri Sep 12 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-09 7:57 PM

Subject: Ocean City NJ Tri Sep 12
Anyone signed up?
The website's list of entrants has not been updated since the 2009 race.
I registered online back in April and received confirmation but it makes me a little nervous that things aren't updated

2010-08-13 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3033286

Subject: RE: Ocean City NJ Tri Sep 12
Signed up the other week.  This will be my 2nd tri.  Did Avalon on 7/3.  This one should be a tad harder but I am in better shape for it.  Have you done it before?
2010-08-13 11:36 AM

Glad to see I am not the only one signed up! lol

I have not done this one before, I think this is the 2nd year but last year the course was a bay swim and different bike & run course. I have done two other tri's last being Steelman in PA last Sunday. Distances are roughly the same, little worried about the ocean swim. How was that in Avalon?
2010-08-16 10:23 AM

I got extremely lucky for my first tri and the ocean was a lake that day!  There were barely ripples coming in.  I was out of the water in 7 minutes.  I expect decent waves in September and Im a little nervous about tiring out quickly fighting the waves on the way out.  I hope to do some ocean swims over the next couple weeks.
2010-08-19 12:15 PM

User image

New Jersey
I signed up for this race as well, it's my first sprint triathlon ever! I decided back in May I was going to do a triathlon this summer so I gave myself a solid 3-4 months to prepare. Downloaded a training schedule and have been training over the course of the summer. Most nervous about the swim portion, swimming is my weakest sport so I've been focusing on it.

I ordered Pearl Izumi tri shorts and top from trivillage.com, from what I've been reading I can wear that for the entire race?  Well, should be fun- can't wait!
2010-08-20 11:54 AM

Congrats on your first tri!

How is the bike course? I rode it back in July and it seemed pretty flat. How far does the course go once you cross the bridge at Corson's Inlet? I remember seeing signs for Sea Isle before turning back.

I have a pair of DeSoto tri shorts that I wear they work fine, although I have ordered a rental wetsuit, this will be my first ocean tri.

2010-08-23 11:38 AM

My husband and I just signed up too.  It is the first ocean swim for both of us, and my first triathlon.  I am hoping for a clear day and calm waters! 

(we are also getting wetsuits.)

2010-08-24 8:32 AM

Shecky, you should consider a wetsuit if its your first ocean swim.  It will help you float and focus more on swimming.

The course is very flat other than a very small bridge.  I have not ridden it yet but I have driven it a thousand times. 
http://www.citytri.com/oceancitytriathlonbike.htm
2010-08-24 8:54 AM

User image

New Jersey
Thanks for the advice, I have actually been thinking about renting a wetsuit. I've seen this post and others where it's suggested. I know the race website has a link to a wetsuit rental company so maybe I'll head over there. Thanks!
2010-08-24 11:23 AM

I rented through wetsuitrental.com last year and had no problems so I went with them again this year. I think the suit was $40 but then you have to add on the shipping and handling so it ends up being around $55-$60 but well worth it.
2010-08-26 8:53 AM

If you are renting a suit for that much, you might as well buy one.  Check out Hyperflex.  I have one and its great and they are reasonably priced.

2010-09-03 7:28 AM

Veteran
Wyndmoor, PA
We all paid good money (I paid $85) to be in this event, and the race directors don't even give us an updated entry list? What a joke! This is the number on their facebook page: 347-276-7523. Will be contacting them shortly!
2010-09-03 7:56 AM

User image

New Jersey
Please post back when you talk to them. I'm not as worried about the entry list, just want to make sure the event is still on!
2010-09-03 11:40 AM

Veteran
Wyndmoor, PA
Ok, I spoke with the race director. She said that she would post the entry list today. She also said that the race was just about full at 300+. I've done a lot of races, but none with citytri. Hopefully, they run a good race.
2010-09-03 12:10 PM

I'm glad someone got back to you. I was worried about it also. I have a room booked for the weekend and family coming as well. Now if the storms stay away!!!!
2010-09-07 7:37 AM

Veteran
Wyndmoor, PA
Still no entry list! Frustrating! In speaking with race director on Friday, I did not get the impression that she had any sense of urgency towards the list. Not impressed with this race director!

2010-09-07 8:12 AM

Agreed about the race director. In looking at website the last time the list was "updated" was 9-11-2009, which I believe was the date of the 2009 race. lol

I also would prefer to have the packet pick up the day before the race. They usually have a meeting to go over the course and answer questions.
2010-09-07 4:46 PM

Looks like the packet pickup is somewhere outside of OCNJ, at a bike store.  I am not familiar with it. 

My husband did Bassman (run by City Tri) last year and it was well-organized.  That's partly why we felt comfortable signing up for this one with limited info, but it's not very soothing to have your first tri and not many participants knowing what's going on!  Just hope for some calm water
2010-09-07 5:25 PM

Veteran
Wyndmoor, PA
As for the packet pickup, the original schedule had it on race morning. That should still be good, but those who want to pick it up earlier can at that bike shop.

Hopefully, the race is well organized and we will all be happy afterwards!
2010-09-08 7:01 AM

Veteran
Wyndmoor, PA
Entry list is up!
2010-09-08 9:30 PM

User image

New Jersey

Did everyone else receive the email from cititri? I'm just curious, is it typical to have the run portion on the actual beach? I've tried to run on sand before. It's not easy. I have been training all summer on pavement, and now I have to go run on sand. Maybe it will be more firm than I'm thinking.. Bicycle course is not closed to traffic? Also, I'm glad I didn't go spend money on renting a wetsuit. They advertise the wet suit rentals on the race site, and now cititri is stating it may be too warm for wetsuits to be eligible. Just seems like a good amount of information that would have been useful prior to 4 days before the race. Maybe it's just me.

2010-09-09 7:49 AM

I think the run will be down closer to the water, the site says during low tide, sand should be harder packed there. I don't like riding on an open course but early Sunday morning traffic should be light.

I think you can wear the wetsuit up to water temp 84 above that and you can not wear. At 78-84 you can wear them but you will not be eligible for awards. The water temp is around 75-77 right now so I plan on wearing mine, even if the temp is 78-84 and it's not wetsuit legal I would rather have the comfort and peace of mind wearing one.
2010-09-09 8:38 AM

I agree that citytri has been dissapointing.  I emailed them a bunch of times a few weeks ago and every email was returned with a message that the recipient's inbox was full.  I tried to find a phone number and there wasnt one to be found.  That being said, the did the Tuckahoe Tri and I heard good things.

If you dont plan on competing for a podium spot. you can still wear a suit.  Since I am doing the race for fun and to push myself, Ill be wearing mine.  Swimming is my weak spot and I need any help I can.  Doesnt help that I havent swam since July 4th!

It should be low tide so the sand will be hard.  It is a little more difficult that running in the street, but not by much.  The only thing that bothers me is that your feet can suction into the wet sand and make it harder to pick up your leg after each stride.  Shoes are optional but I think its easier with them on.  I used to run a lot on the beach since I grew up a block from it.

The packet pickup is at Beacon Bike Shop in Northfield.  Its about 20 minutes from the race area, but at least they have 3 days you can pickup.  This is more of a marketing ploy than anything.  I am sure they hope everyone picks up a packet and then some bike supplies as well.  Ill be picking up my packet and walking straight out the door.  I used to shop here 10 years ago and the owner was this smug little man that treated customers poorly.  Not sure if its the same owner today.  Sadly, its about the only store in the area with a good selection. 

Good luck to all!  I am nervous myself as 12+ hour work days this week has kept me from working out at all!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean City NJ Tri Sep 12 Rss Feed