United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 21s
Overall Rank = 342/542
Age Group = relay
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Surprisingly, I had a good nights sleep. Woke up at 4:45. Had prepared everything the night before and only had to load up my bike and I was ready to go. Ate a Cliff Bar and banana, and drank water.
Event warmup:

Did some stretching and a warm up swim. On the way to the beach someone said the water temp was wetsuit legal and I laughed because the water temp had been 84 degrees most of the summer.I was shocked by the cool water temperature when I went in to warm up. Definitely not what I was expecting!
Swim
  • 11m 22s
  • 604 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was my first Triathlon and my inexperience showed in the beginning of the swim. I started in the middle of the pack and got caught up in a sea of humanity as we approached the first buoy. It was difficult to get a decent stroke going because I kept hitting people and getting hit. It was difficult to get a breath because of the splashing water and I ended up taking in quite a bit. After the first turn, I had to stop and clear myself of the water and catch my breath. After that, I settled into a comfortable pace and thought I finished strong.
What would you do differently?:

I will either start at the front row or off to the side in my next race to try to avoid that same situation.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Once I crossed the transponder on the beach I slowed down to let my HR settle. I picked up the pace entering the transition area.I had everything organized, thanks to the great info available on this site, and felt I did a pretty good job of getting glasses, helmet and shoes on efficiently.

I am going to practice keeping my shoes clipped to the pedals. I found running with the bike wearing bike shoes was a little difficult, and then it took my 2 tries to get clipped in. Other than that, my T time can be reduced with more experience.
Bike
  • 45m 14s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 17.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I had only done one session where I did a short swim and then got on the bike, just to see what it was like to cycle while wet. I was surprised at how difficult it was to initially get going, as the course started with a slight uphill segment. My stomach was upset, probably from swallowing so much salt water at the beginning of the swim and it definitely affected my performance. I felt stronger during the last half of the ride than I did at the beginning.I just started training 2 1/2 months ago and have not accumulated much saddle time. Did not do any structured workouts, as I was just trying to get my butt used to being on the bike. Got my clipless pedals and shoes the week before the race.

I was a little disappointed in my bike time, but feel that I can definitely improve it with more formal training. Now that this race is behind me I will concentrate on a more structured training regimen. I have signed up to do the Tropical Triathlon in Lake Worth in September and look forward to having a much better pace during the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

This was a relay, with my 11 year old son doing the running leg. After 2 surgeries on each knee, my running days are long gone, so I'm thankful for my excited little buddy to help me do something I've always wanted to do. I entered the Transition area and saw my son standing at the rack with a huge smile on his face, ready to go. I slapped his hand and told him to take off and he reminded me to rack my bike and give him the ankle chip!! Just a minor thing, especially with a guy in a striped shirt standing right there! He took off running, with goal of beating his mom, who was about 1 minute behind me. He achieved that goal, finishing about 30 seconds ahead of her.

Not a thing. The look on my son's face when I entered the Transition area was priceless.
Run
  • 29m 38s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

See comments above
Post race
Warm down:

Lot's of water available, courtesy of a local church.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely inexperience, but I was not expecting to do much better due to limited training time. My goal was to complete the event.

Last updated: 2010-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:22 | 604 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/542
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:14 | 13.5 miles | 17.91 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Double loop along A1A.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:38 | 03.1 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat, with some small rolling segments.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes