General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cypress, Texas
United States
OnUrLeft Sports
Total Time = 1h 21m 26s
Overall Rank = 151/750
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 30/99
Pre-race routine:

Checked bike, got to race around 5:00, set up, walked around to get a lay of the land.
Event warmup:

Walked around. Swam about 150m right before the start.
Swim
  • 09m 12s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Knew from my first tri that I was above average in the swim to made sure to get up front. Wasn't a problem - everyone seemed to be hanging back, perhaps because the footing was better as it was shallower back there.

Went at a decent pace, but with the water so murky I couldn't sense anything about who was around me. It seemed like people came out of nowhere even in the middle of the swim.

Sighting seemed OK because every time I would look up a buoy would be coming up close to me on my right, but it seemed like I had to veer left after the turn to get to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

I still get the adrenaline kick and stroke harder instead of correctly - this probably slows me down and definitely raises my heart rate too much. Need to break out quickly to avoid the scrum but settle down.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

This was my first time riding more than a few miles wet with my new clipless shoes so I took a bit longer than normal to dry off and put them on. The short swim taking so much out of me surprised me and I wasn't focused.

Eventually I will have the shoes clipped to the pedals and have more T1 practice.
Bike
  • 39m 33s
  • 14 miles
  • 21.24 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is my weakness due to lack of experience relative to swim/run. My first tri I had a hybrid bike and standard pedals, so this was a great improvement (first one was 15 mph).

The pace felt comfortable enough. I held back a little bit anticipating the run but I was working pretty hard. My cadence seemed slower than everyone else so I guess I was pushing in a higher gear? It was so flat that I only changed gears at the end to loosen up my legs a little bit.

I got caught up in actually being in a pack of people (first one I was just continuously passed) so I probably didn't take in enough fluids.

Take in more fluids, will get more comfotable on the bike with more time in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

New bike so not as comfortable jumping off. What slowed me down a lot was that in my first tri (2 mi run) I had blisters from running without socks so I put on socks this time and it slowed me down quite a bit. Also took a drink that I probably should have taken either on the bike or on the run course while I'm moving.

Better fluid intake on the bike and either shoes that I am comfortable in without socks and/or practice T2 putting socks on.
Run
  • 29m 9s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty slow and was tired from the beginning but went at a good pace (for me). My sweet spot is the 8-8.5 min/mile range so to be able to hold this for 3.5 miles was good for me.

Continue to train and get faster. Have more fluids before the run, especially in this kind of heat.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only training for a few months, will get faster.

Event comments:

Great race and well organized. Will do it again next year and looking forward to their next race in September!

Last updated: 2010-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:12 | 500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/99
Overall: 0/750
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point with a turn at the end.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:33 | 14 miles | 21.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 35/99
Wind: None
Course: Very flat, rough road at the end.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:29:09 | 03.5 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/99
Course: Out and back with loop at the end through the woods.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-10 7:55 AM

Subject: Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon Rss Feed