General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Iron Distance Infinit Users Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-10 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Subject: Question for Iron Distance Infinit Users
I think I have it dialed in for HIM distance, 2 bottles mixed thick with 3 scoops each over the bike course works well. My concern is how to plan for my full IM. How do you do it? A few premixed bottles in special needs bag? The single portion packs in jersey pocket?

2010-08-10 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3035167

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Question for Iron Distance Infinit Users
I concentrate to 2.5-hour bottles.
1 bottle on my frame and 1 in my jersy pocket - 5 hours worth of Infinite.
I also supplement with Sports Beans and gels.

Putting an extra 2.5-hour bottle in special needs just in case I lose one on the course.

2010-08-10 2:28 PM

User image

3 scoops isn't thick 

6 hour ride = two 3 hour bottles (6 scoops), plus one three hour bottle (dry) in SN in case the you know what hits the fan.  About 1/2 way thru I ditch one bottle.

Grab water at every station to take with infinit.  Make sure you follow up with water after every sip.

Similarly, for a HIM I carry one 3 hour bottle
2010-08-10 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Good question, also need suggestions.  I did a 4hr ride last Saturday with a concentrated infinit bottle and water in aero bottle, a 1100K bomb. Got warm but tolerated well, was thinking I would put a second bottle in iced cooler at special needs, have an extra gel or two for a different taste if needed.
2010-08-10 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3035241

User image

Expert
Raleigh
ChrisM - 2010-08-10 2:28 PM 3 scoops isn't thick 

6 hour ride = two 3 hour bottles (6 scoops), plus one three hour bottle (dry) in SN in case the you know what hits the fan.  About 1/2 way thru I ditch one bottle.

Grab water at every station to take with infinit.  Make sure you follow up with water after every sip.

I believe this is my problem. Thicker than that I have a hard time getting it down. 6 scoops!! Wow! I got some rethinking to do.
2010-08-10 2:38 PM

Master
, California
If you have bottles mounted behind your saddle, that gives you up to 5 (profile bottle, 2 frame, 2 saddle).  I kept refilling my profile bottle with plain water from aid stations and used a 2.5 hr mix on the saddle bottles.

One other suggestion - if you put a spare bottle in your special needs bag, just leave the dry powder (Perpetuem, Infinit, whatever) in it and add water from the course.  That way it'll be cold when you start using it.

2010-08-10 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3035251

User image

titeloops - 2010-08-10 12:31 PM

I believe this is my problem. Thicker than that I have a hard time getting it down. 6 scoops!! Wow! I got some rethinking to do.

How often are you taking it and how much?  At 6 scoops, you are getting a LOT of calories in one sip.  I found that my body tolerated it better the more sips I took, so I'd take a little bit every 10-12 minutes, followed by water.

Some here advocate for just drinking when you are thirsty, but I've found in my training that if I am not on a schedule and get in that habit, I tend to start ignoring nutrition until  am behind the 8 ball. 

2010-08-10 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3035241

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

ChrisM - 2010-08-10 3:28 PM 3 scoops isn't thick 

I pretty much do the same thing and it works great, just add water to the Aerodrink at every aid station and you'll be all set.  For long training rides I just use my Camelbak for water but always the same Infinit mixture for the long rides.  

I have my own Infinit formula made, which is basically there IM mixture, but I dial the flavor way down. 

Edited by rottieguy 2010-08-10 2:53 PM
2010-08-10 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3035302

User image

Expert
Raleigh
ChrisM - 2010-08-10 2:51 PM

titeloops - 2010-08-10 12:31 PM

How often are you taking it and how much?  At 6 scoops, you are getting a LOT of calories in one sip.  I found that my body tolerated it better the more sips I took, so I'd take a little bit every 10-12 minutes, followed by water.

Some here advocate for just drinking when you are thirsty, but I've found in my training that if I am not on a schedule and get in that habit, I tend to start ignoring nutrition until  am behind the 8 ball. 

Depends on how thick I mix it. At 3 scoops I'm putting down One bottle, plus one plain water bottle per hour to hour and half. I'm gonna start experimenting with thicker mixes. Noticed your hobbies, how's your double haul?
2010-08-10 3:18 PM

User image

Not bad, I usually get the fly near where I want it to go 
2010-08-10 3:33 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
I went the old school route and did 6 bottles during my IM.  I started with 4 on the bike and picked up 2 in special needs.  Never again.  Instead, I will use two, 3 hours bottles (6 scoops).  I have adjusted my HIM nutrition plan to just one, 3 hour bottle.  It just simplifies things. 

As mentioned above, keep the sips small and chase it with water.  I take a sip roughly every 15 minutes.  So if the HIM bike was to take me 3 hours, each sip is 2-3 ounces max.  Basically I take a shot.  I have found that my body adapts to that method much easier than drinking 60 oz of the same thing

2010-08-11 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I put 4 servings in one bottle. So I had enough for 4 hours. One small sip every 15 mins with lots of water. When I hit my special needs I was able to put more powder in my bottle.

2010-08-11 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

I use double strength bottles (4 scoops).  I start with one regular strength in my aero bottle, keep 2 doubles on the bike, and 1 double in special needs.  When my aero bottle nears empty I add half water at aid station and top of with Infinit while riding.  This give me a consistent flow of regular strength brew for the entire ride.  This works well for me as I much prefer drinking from the aero straw over taking a sips from a bottle.

2010-08-11 12:25 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I had two bottles on my bike with 3 1/2 hours of Infinit in each bottle (7 scoops I think).

I took one small sip every 12 minutes followed by a sip of water.

ETA: I had an extra bottle in my SN bag (in case I dropped one), but it was nowhere to be found when I got to SN bike.. I was so glad I had everything I needed on me or the bike !

Edited by trishie 2010-08-11 12:26 PM
2010-08-11 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Thanks folks! Good info. The common theme here seems to be taht i have to start mixing thicker, no matter how I plan to proceed. Gonna start toying with it this saturday on the long ride!
2010-08-11 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3037614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida

Titeloops let me know how that goes.  I have only been doing two scoops to each water bottle.  I am using a special blend of Infinit which is about 245 calories for two scoops.  When I run out which down here in FLorida is about two hours of riding.  I have been filling back with water and going with gels and Electrolyte pills(three per hour).  What I am reading in this threas is to put maybe 4 scoops in a water bottle.  Which in the example above is the equvilant to 4 bottles.  I would set freq to finish a bottle in two hours as opposed to one.  Knowing I would need another bottle of just water to chase the concentrated bottles.  I have a Felt B12 an only have a cage behind the seat and only only holds one on the down tube.  May also need to get the bottle that goes between the tri bars. 

Am I correct? 

2010-08-11 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3037769

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
[email protected] - 2010-08-11 2:56 PM

Titeloops let me know how that goes.  I have only been doing two scoops to each water bottle.  I am using a special blend of Infinit which is about 245 calories for two scoops.  When I run out which down here in FLorida is about two hours of riding.  I have been filling back with water and going with gels and Electrolyte pills(three per hour).  What I am reading in this threas is to put maybe 4 scoops in a water bottle.  Which in the example above is the equvilant to 4 bottles.  I would set freq to finish a bottle in two hours as opposed to one.  Knowing I would need another bottle of just water to chase the concentrated bottles.  I have a Felt B12 an only have a cage behind the seat and only only holds one on the down tube.  May also need to get the bottle that goes between the tri bars. 

Am I correct? 

2-scoops = 1 serving.  1 serving should be configured to last an hour.  So 4 scoops in one bottle would give you two hours or two servings.  Drink 1/2 the bottle each hour(I drink every 10 minutes) and chase each sip with appropriate amounts of plain water.  I also have the basic IM formula with the flavor dialed down a couple "clicks".  4 scoops is very drinkable.

I was going to use straight single servings, but I have found that I like drinking plain water some.  With a single serving, I am able to get almost all my hydration needs from the Infinit mixture.  With a two hour bottle, I get at least a half bottle of plain water every hour and that just refreshes a little better.  I won't need anything additional for nutrition, though I may carry something. 

I think I will carry 3 two hour bottles on my bike and one water.  I only have 4 bottle cages, not aerobars for a bottle up front.  I will stick one with dry powder in SN in case I lose one on the course

Edited by Gregkl 2010-08-11 3:14 PM
2010-08-11 3:19 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
TIP ON MIXING MULTIPLE SCOOPS:

Fill your water bottle only half way. Mix in 2 scoops, stir until dissolved. Add 2 more, stir until disolved, etc.

If you try to dump in 4-8 scoops at once it will be a PITA to mix !
2010-08-11 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3037769

User image

Expert
Raleigh
[email protected] - 2010-08-11 2:56 PM

Am I correct? 

I only have 3 bottle cages on my Felt as well. I'm thinking of adding an aero bottle, and using it for water only. Then mixing 4 scoops per each of the other 3 bottles. That should give me six hours of nutrition. All those bottles, when full, seem like a lot of extra weight though. Undecided
2010-08-12 5:32 PM

Sounds like a lot of folks here sip heavily concentrated Infinit followed by a sip of water.  I do it a bit differently.  For a HIM I would mix 3 hours of Infinit (6 scoops) in an empty gatorade bottle and mark the three servings on bottle with a Sharpie.  Right before the race starts I pour the first 1/3 in my aerodrink bottle and fill the rest up with water.  Then at the aid stations, I take a hand up water bottle and pour it plus 1/3 more of the concentrate into the aerodrink.  Repeat one more time.   Then I never have to drink the heavily concentrated/thick infinit, which doesn't appeal to me and I don't have to carry much with me on the bike.  I plan on taking two of these 3-serving bottles with me to my IM and tossing one in my SN bag in case I lose one.  Works for me. Just a suggestion.
2010-08-12 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3040870

User image

Veteran
Independence, KY
This is how I roll.  The only problem is I have a felt with only 3 spots for bottles so that makes 2x concentrated Infinit + 1 water bottle.  For a race that's fine because of the frequent aid stations, but it's a bit of a pain for training due to rewatering stops.

distancegirl - 2010-08-12 6:32 PM Sounds like a lot of folks here sip heavily concentrated Infinit followed by a sip of water.  I do it a bit differently.  For a HIM I would mix 3 hours of Infinit (6 scoops) in an empty gatorade bottle and mark the three servings on bottle with a Sharpie.  Right before the race starts I pour the first 1/3 in my aerodrink bottle and fill the rest up with water.  Then at the aid stations, I take a hand up water bottle and pour it plus 1/3 more of the concentrate into the aerodrink.  Repeat one more time.   Then I never have to drink the heavily concentrated/thick infinit, which doesn't appeal to me and I don't have to carry much with me on the bike.  I plan on taking two of these 3-serving bottles with me to my IM and tossing one in my SN bag in case I lose one.  Works for me. Just a suggestion.

2010-08-13 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida

Thanks for all the feedback

2010-08-14 6:22 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

I too ride with two bottles containing 3 hours each (6 scoops).  However, I mark my bottles and dump each hour into my aerodrink fill with water then drink from there instead of taking sips.

I did lose a full bottle at LP this year (after SN) so just make sure your cage(s) don't suck.  Mine do not.....anymore.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Iron Distance Infinit Users Rss Feed