Richmond Multisports
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 7s
Overall Rank = 206/278
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/37
Pre-race routine:

Banana and bagel with p-nut butter.Got to the race site and got transition set up.
Event warmup:

none.
Swim
  • 33m 57s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very little current. Everyone in my wave was spread out very well along the start line. No problem with the swim ohter than drifting to the right alot. Twice a person in a kayak had to motion me back on course. Overall it was a good swim but my right goggle had a small leak that annoyed me until the halfway point when I finally got it set right.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing except sight more to stay on course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Rank 101 of 278 on T1. No problems with T1 except the long run over the train track, accross the gravel, up the stairs, and down the block to the TA. They should shorten the 10K to make up for all the running in and out of T1.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 10s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.71 mile/hr
Comments:

31 of 37. I was slower that I thought i would be considering there are no major hills. I may have been taking it easy knowing I had a 10k left to do. I did feel somewhat fatigued near the end and the heat was starting to get to me too.

I really needed to train harder for this distance. I basically trained for a sprint and just started going 25 miles the month before. Next year I will try to follow a plan to be more prepared.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

8 of 37 M40-44, 52 of 278 overall. I smoked this transition. I felt really good coming out of T2 and thought I had a pretty good race going. that would soon change.

nothing.
Run
  • 1h 13m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I was doing great until I came up to street level and approached the Mayo Bridge. It was reallyhot and the sun was beating down unbearably. I thought I could get to the 2nd water stop before I had to start walking but I didn't make it. The next 4 miles were excruciating. I did not feel good and could only run during the shady parts. Many people passed me including a 60 year old woman. I ran the last 1/4 mile and enjoyed making it across the finish line standing up. The cold wet washcloth around my neck was wonderful.

I need to train more in the heat. I always train at 6am an it is never above 80 deg. The extra distance was hard but I think I could have run the whole thing if not for the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

As I said, the cold washcloth on the back of the neck was awesome. Then I move over to the RTC tent to get some water. Next was the Lettuce wrap from PF chang's and a beer. Talked with John Amoroso and relaxed and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, heat, heat.

Event comments:

During the run I promised myself that I would never do this race again. Upon reflection I would definitely to it if the weather was cooler.

Last updated: 2010-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:57 | 1500 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/37
Overall: 184/278
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri top and tri shorts
Course: Up river following the contour of the river and then back down river to the dock
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:10 | 24.85 miles | 17.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/37
Overall: 190/278
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful course. I will have to ride it again sometime just to enjoy the scenery. Mostly flat with rolling hills at times. Noting major.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:13:15 | 06.21 miles | 11m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/37
Overall: 221/278
Performance: Bad
Course: ran toward Shockoe Bottom along the river. Continued to the canal turning basin and then ran up stairs to street level. This course is a little sadistic. There are lots of stairs to climb and a steep winding hill at the turnaround.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-10 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond VA area
Subject: Rocketts Landing

2010-08-10 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3035462

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rocketts Landing
I hear you on that promise to never do that race again!  The run course was strange and a mess in the heat. 
You did great!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rocketts Landing Rss Feed