General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Going to give this a try Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-10 5:14 PM

Subject: Going to give this a try
Friends of mine told me them and some other guys where going to try a sprint race in the middle of October and wanted to know if I would like to as well, I said sure why not.  I don't think any of these guys have done one before and their goal is to just finish.

I came here to look it over and I'm definitely intimidated now.  First thing I need to lose some weight, I'm 6'5 242lbs right now but I've always done sports and outdoor activities. Second is I've been sidelined for 6 weeks due to a pulled hamstring(8lbs of that 242 is from those 6 weeks of no activity), finally got back out and ran 3 miles Sunday in a disappointing 29 minutes and managed a 15 minute swim yesterday.  And third I have no bike of any kinda.

Would the smart decision be to start training and if I feel confident enough come October give it a try, or forget about the October race all together and look for something next year? Prior to the hamstring I was active everyday, either running, swimming or playing flag football so I feel somewhat confident I could manage the 500yd swim and the 3.2 miles run, I just haven't ridden a bike in years.

Any tips/ advice would be great

2010-08-10 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3035587

User image

Veteran
Orange County
Subject: RE: Going to give this a try
Welcome! 

If you're injury free and can train seriously there's no reason you can't do a sprint in October.  You'll find all kinds of stories on these forums of folks with similar goals and timelines.

If you train aggressively and eat smart, you'll lose weight so that is automatic.

You're going to have to get a bike and do some cycling.  One thing you don't want to do is get a bike on a Wednesday for a race on a Saturday.

Lots of information and encouragement is waiting for you on these forums.

Good luck!!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Going to give this a try Rss Feed