United States
Buffalo Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 35m 30s
Overall Rank = 120/909
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 25/92
Pre-race routine:

Double checked that nutrition was in pockets. Relaxed, enjoyed atmosphere.
Event warmup:

Light. Some walking only.
Run
  • 3h 35m 30s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Second BQ attempt (First realistic attempt).
Felt I ran the first half perfectly - HR was a little higher than in training (due to a little more heat than usual), but I was holding back and saving energy for the end. Pace through half was low 7:20s - exactly where I wanted to be.
Then suddenly around the half got increasing tightness in the IT Band. Ok, maybe not so suddenly, it built up over a few miles. By around mile 18 it was really painful to keep going at pace, had to slow down. Sad because I was closing in on the 3:10 pacer at that point - could see him not too far ahead of me.
Went down to easy run pace / recovery jog to try to loosen then pain. Would eventually cause me to walk for a mile or so. Eventually started running again with the help of a fellow runner - just keep the arms swinging and the rest will follow. Ran my way to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

The car ride was 5hrs to Buffalo the Friday afternoon / evening - probably a bad idea. Probably won't ever travel that far for a race again. If I do, foam roll till I'm completely loosened.
Post race
Warm down:

Too much pain to run any more - walking and heavy stretching. Massage the next day and yea, more stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm blaming the car ride - could be other things, but that's most obvious to me.

Last updated: 2010-08-10 12:00 AM
Running
03:35:30 | 26.2 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 120/92
Overall: 25/909
Performance: Below average
HR running a little high, but was expected since it was warmer than most of my training
Course: Good flat course, first half is enjoyable as you run along the waterfront for part. Decent amount of spectators for the first half. Second half was a little more thinned out. Scenery was still enjoyable - got tired of being in the park though - probably a middle/end of race thing.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes