Y-Events
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 37s
Overall Rank = 931/983
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 105/108
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00 am, peanut butter on toast and a banana, cup of very weak hotel-room coffee, quick shower to get the blood moving. Family and I headed out at 6:00 am on the nose, we arrived at Camp Pendleton at around 6:20 and parked at around 6:50.
Event warmup:

Since I'm still relatively new to triathlons, I tend to spend a lot of time checking and re-checking my transition set-up and I usually don't leave myself a lot of time to warm up. I did have a chance to wade into the water a bit just to get a sense of the temperature.
Swim
  • 20m 55s
  • 500 yards
  • 04m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first ocean swim and it was my biggest concern of this triathlon. And my concerns were well-founded, because the waves were tough and the current was strong. I was in the 4th wave, and I felt sorry for the guys in the 1st wave -- by the time they were halfway to the first buoy, the current had pushed everyone right between the two buoys. So I was thankful to learn from that, but also fearful of having to fight that current. I struggled just to get out beyond the waves, and I felt like I had no energy left by the time I did get past the breakers. I actually had a lifeguard swimming alongside me for several minutes making sure I was OK, I think mostly because I was screaming obscenities at the mighty Pacific Ocean. He even asked if I wanted to "opt out" a couple of times. Eventually, I actually swam a few strokes but for the most part I was doing a sidestroke. The goal quickly went from "finish fast" to "just finish," which I did. Eventually. The Pacific definitely made me its bitch.
What would you do differently?:

More (as in, more than none) open ocean training swims
Transition 1
  • 06m 17s
Comments:

I was just glad to be alive and breathing at this point, so I wasn't all that concerned with a fast transition.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 18s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 15.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I figured that once I came out of the water, I could relax and enjoy the rest of the race. Unfortunately, this wasn't really the case. I had blown so much energy trying not to drown, I didn't have a whole lot of enthusiasm for the bike. But I think the biggest reason I didn't enjoy the bike was that I had made the mistake of adjusting my seat angle a few days before the race, so by the time I made it back to transition my ass was pretty sore.

Not make equipment tweaks so close to race day. Also, graduate to big-boy racing and get a road bike so I can leave the mountain bike for mountain biking.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

For me this was a fairly good transition. I spent most of the time trying to pin my bib on straight. I spent a few days before the tri looking for a race belt, but none of my local sporting goods stores had them. Next time I'll look harder (or just order one online).

Use a race belt
Run
  • 39m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

ACU-5 is basically a giant slab of concrete, which for me is pretty torturous to run on. The run out of the transition area was up a hill, so that was a pretty crappy way for me to start the last leg. I got shin splints almost immediately, and spent the rest of the race trying to just keep my legs moving and not think about how nice it would be to just stop and watch everyone else finish. I really didn't like the run course for a couple reasons. First, it was on concrete 90% of the way, and for me that's just not fun. Second, the course was a winding mess that seemed very illogical. Maybe I was just in a bad mood. The only saving grace for me was the last 50 yards, when my 4-year-old son joined me and we crossed the finish line together. That was truly an unforgettable moment for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked down the hill to the transition area to pack up my stuff, then walked back up the hill to join my wife and son.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All in all, this was not a good second tri for me (thankfully it wasn't my first, otherwise I might never do another one). I think I psyched myself out quite a bit in anticipation of the swim, and even though it turned out to be as bad as I expected, I could have had a more confident attitude going in. What was frustrating is that I wasn't really all that winded throughout the race, but my body was NOT very cooperative on this day.

Event comments:

My only real complaint was the way the run course was laid out. The Marines were awesome -- on time, helpful and encouraging -- but I had a pretty rough day physically.

Last updated: 2010-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:55 | 500 yards | 04m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 100/108
Overall: 840/983
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full
Course: C-shape
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:18 | 18.64 miles | 15.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 95/108
Overall: 816/983
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Out and back through Camp Pendleton on an open road, but there weren't very many cars and the Marines did a great job with traffic control. To me this was a fairly flat course with a few moderate hills thrown in just to keep everyone honest. Seeing as it's a military base, there wasn't much to look at except dirt.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:39:07 | 03.11 miles | 12m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 105/108
Overall: 946/983
Performance: Bad
Course: Winding, oddly shaped course through ACU-5
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-11 12:04 AM

User image

Regular
Valencia, CA
Subject: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon

2010-08-19 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3036104

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
Subject: RE: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon
Good job on finishing man! You are right that the breaks were no joke on that swim. It must have been a great feeling crossing the finish line with your son. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed