General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much running vs biking for training do you do (injury prevention) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-11 8:32 AM

User image

Subject: How much running vs biking for training do you do (injury prevention)
I am reading the book "Going Long", a preparation for an Ironman down the road. In it, it talks about doing more biking than running to build your endurance base. They say it is much easier to get injured running than biking because of the impact. Just curious if anyone here does equal amounts or leans more towards biking to try and stay away from injury. What are some thoughts on this?

2010-08-11 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3036489

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: How much running vs biking for training do you do (injury prevention)
I haven't read the book. IMO the way to get ready for the demands of long distance running is to run lots. As a guess I would estimate it takes 4-5 times as much biking to equal a run workout for endurance training. So it would take 8-10 hours on a bike to simulate the stress of a 2 hour run. I doubt many people have that kind of time available on a regular basis. Biking long is a good way to acquire endurance for biking, but maybe not such a great way for running. The way to do it for running involves gradually increasing training volume over a period of several years. For example I went from running about 20 miles/week 5 years ago to 50-60 now. If I had jumped from 20 to where I am now too quickly I may have had injury problems. It sounds like the advice in that book is to use biking to shorten the time it can take to ramp up for endurance running. I happen to know quite a few long distance runners and none of them used biking to increase their running fitness for endurance running. IOW, if you want to be a really good runner, you've got to do the hard work of running.
2010-08-11 10:59 AM

User image

Subject: RE: How much running vs biking for training do you do (injury prevention)
I just grab one of the training programs from this site. They're generic and have to be conservative so the odds are I'm not going to overdo it if I just follow the plan.

2010-08-11 1:10 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
It's been awhile since i've read the book, but relatively speaking, I do much more bike volume than run.  I typically only run 3 times a week, two are maintenance runs during the week and one is a long run on the weekend.  I bike to work every day and typically do a long ride on the weekend.  My biking volume should be above average and my running is probably average.  I've intentionally kept my running frequency that way partially to avoid injury (I don't run on consecutive days).   Even when I've ramped up to do ultramarathon distances, I'll probably only run 4 days/week at most.  It's worked for me and I haven't had a run injury in awhile except as the direct outcome of an ultradistance race.
2010-08-11 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canyon Hills (Lake Elsinore), CA
I've never looked at it before but it got me to thinking what my percentages are for training each sport. For this year, time wise, I'm averaging 17%/48%/35% S/B/R. I don't know if that's normal or not but I've remained pretty injury free. I do know from experience that my body doesn't like more then the occasional day run in a row.
2010-08-11 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3036970

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Donskiman - 2010-08-11 8:55 AM I haven't read the book. IMO the way to get ready for the demands of long distance running is to run lots. As a guess I would estimate it takes 4-5 times as much biking to equal a run workout for endurance training. So it would take 8-10 hours on a bike to simulate the stress of a 2 hour run. I doubt many people have that kind of time available on a regular basis. Biking long is a good way to acquire endurance for biking, but maybe not such a great way for running. The way to do it for running involves gradually increasing training volume over a period of several years. For example I went from running about 20 miles/week 5 years ago to 50-60 now. If I had jumped from 20 to where I am now too quickly I may have had injury problems. It sounds like the advice in that book is to use biking to shorten the time it can take to ramp up for endurance running. I happen to know quite a few long distance runners and none of them used biking to increase their running fitness for endurance running. IOW, if you want to be a really good runner, you've got to do the hard work of running.

^^  This.

I don't run as much as I used to, due to the time demands of developing swim and bike fitness, and that definitely contributes to injury.  When I was just running, I never had injuries.  Now that I feel like I've gotten my cycling to a reasonable place recently (to be competitive in my age group, anyhow), I've upped my running again and--sure enough--I'm healthier and faster than I was when I was fighting to make time for it and doing long runs without adequate support the rest of the week.  I've found that gains in cycling fitness have not really yielded any noticeable gain in run fitness nor have they "filled in the gap" as far as supporting my long runs from an injury avoidance standpoint. 

Also, weight management is easier for me the greater the percentage of running in my training mix.  My experience there has been totally in line with Don's comment above about the relationship in terms of time commitment for workout benefit between cycling and running. YMMV...

2010-08-11 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
I much prefer to run more often.  To me, the bike is mostly boring, and takes way too long to get an equivalent workout in.   I do the bare minimum I feel I need to do to be ready for my races.
2010-08-11 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
In terms of training hours, roughly 75-80% of my time is spent on the bike.  This is mostly because I'm getting ready for a century in 2 weeks, but also because it's my favorite sport.

I do find that I'm less suceptible to injury when I run no more than 3x a week (and never on consecutive days). 
2010-08-13 3:19 PM

User image

I believe that most plans have us overbike. It is easier on the body than running. Also if we are super consitioned in biking then we come off it with our legs in a reasonable state of freshness. It is harder to cause an injury to yourself from overtraining on the bike. You typically don't get a stress fracture etc. from biking. For me I am a better biker than runner. I know that a 1:30 run feels a lot worse ther next day than a 3hour bike for me. I usually spend twice the hours on the bike than the run. This week will be 7hours on bike 3:45 on the run. Swim is only 3 hours.
2010-08-13 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
My personal opinion is that if you are over 20% bodyfat you should bike alot more than run.  Maybe a 1/6 ratio or or so.  Bodyweight is a huge factor with running injuries, so its best to get that base on the bike, then when your weight is down run frequently at a 1/3 or 1/4 ratio.  (ratios are in miles)

2010-08-13 3:40 PM

User image

I bike a lot more because I like to bike.  Outside of tris, I'll do more cycling races or TTs than running races...so that partially explains it as well.

2010-08-13 3:41 PM

New user
This season I've really gone heavy on the bike (bike 5 or 6 days a week).  This season included two HIM and I'm in the intial phases of IM training for next year.  I tend to agree with the writers of Going Long.  You can put time on the bike and make it as intense as you want with less (not "no") chance of injury compared to run.  I still get 3 quality runs in, long, medium distance, and speed work, with a recovery run if time permits.  I also swim 3 days a week.  So far it's worked, as I've improved my overall tri times in this season of racing.

I also get the bike aspect, as for me- 1:15 - 1:30 swiming 4:30 - 5:00 running, 7:00+ on the bike for the IM.  Half my race will be on the bike, and I'd rather fell ok coming off the bike rather then burnt to start the marry.
2010-08-13 3:51 PM

User image

Champion
PA
I'm around 2:1 bike to run.  I do more run than my plan asks because I am weak in the run and trying to improve by simply running more.  For the past couple of months I probably average around 7hrs bike to 3.5 hrs run.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.
2010-08-13 8:24 PM

Veteran
I try to keep a 4:1 ratio of bike miles to run miles during most of the year. Sometimes during the year it is more like  a 3:1 ratio. I have read for years from very credible coaches the optimum for perfromance and staying injury free is 4:1 to 5:1 bike miles vs run miles.
2010-08-14 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3043228

User image

Champion
honestly most triathletes do not really bike enough for the longer races (or run for that matter).

the longer the races the more a HUGE base on the bike is going to help you when it comes time to run. In other words, or what i'm trying to say here is that if you simply train to go a certain speed on the bike, your dreams are going ot be crushed on the run. you need to be able to go that speed, and have it be EASY (or not killing you), so that you still have legs left to run. this means you need to put a lot more into bike training. Long racing is all about the run, which is all about the bike.

And to answer your question,

a normal week this time of year for me looks like this

approx 40mpw running,
300 mpw biking.
2010-08-15 6:58 AM

User image

Master
If you click on 'logs' below someone's post, you should be able to view the graphs that show how much of each sport they do.

2010-08-15 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3043614

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
a normal week this time of year for me looks like this approx 40mpw running, 300 mpw biking.

Now I'm just depressed...
2010-08-16 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Warning - very generic advice coming:
Assuming you do not have a weakness that requires extra focus, I think in general if you spend your time training at the percentage of time you will spend racing in each discipline, you will be okay.  Say you can do a half ironman in 6 hours.  40 minute swim, 3:20 bike, and 2 hour half marathon.  If you have 12 hours (picked arbitrarily for easy math for me, but just use percentages) of training time available each week, I'd spend about 1:20 of them swimming, 6:40 of them biking, and 4:00 of them running.  Other than a long bike ride and a long run which I think are key workouts, the best thing you can do from an injury prevention standpoint is workout FREQUENTLY.  Don't do a 2 hour long run and two 1 hour medium runs for your 4 hours.  Do a 90 minute long run, two 45 minute runs, and 2 half hour runs.  Same volume, far less recovery needed, and no single workout hurts you that bad.?

Edited by JoshKaptur 2010-08-16 10:11 AM
2010-08-16 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC

I use Swim1 - Bike3 - Run1.5  (time not distance) with a 3-1 periodization when planning my schedule.  This ratio has worked well and kept me injury free and never really feeling tired. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much running vs biking for training do you do (injury prevention) Rss Feed