General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heat exhaustion--recovery time? When can I get back out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-11 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Heat exhaustion--recovery time? When can I get back out there?
Rode 10 miles with the sun on my back at 9a.m. yest.. It hit me hard and fast--nausea, legs clammy, head light. Made it almost all the way home--then a mile out I couldn't do it. I called my neighbor. It was 97, about 108 heat index at that time, but I've been training in the heat all summer. I imagine I didn't drink enough the night before and the morning of the ride.

I still feel tired today, mild nausea, mild headache. The question: let's say I feel normal tomorrow. How soon can I train again? Avoiding the heat, of course. Predawn or post-dusk.

2010-08-11 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3037405

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Subject: RE: Heat exhaustion--recovery time? When can I get back out there?
Are you sure it was heat exhaustion?

Might be just be a bug or something. That seems like a short amount of time in the sun to get heat exhaustion ... especially on the bike where you at least get a breeze while your are moving.

Since you have been training in the heat for a while, it seems likely to be something other than heat exhaustion.

Edited by rventuri 2010-08-11 1:34 PM
2010-08-11 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3037515

User image

Veteran
Pretty sure it was. I felt absolutely 100% until that moment. Breeze on the bike is only useful if one has taken in enough water to allow for sweat lost to be replaced! Tongue out
2010-08-11 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3037594

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I'm no doctor, but I don't think you did any damage or injury that needs "recovery".  I would think you could go back out as soon as you felt up to it (not feeling sick and rehydrated). 

Just be more carefull.  Drink more before and during.
2010-08-11 3:03 PM

User image

Regular
Doylestown, PA
Read an article in triathlete magazine last week about a guy that had his second heat stroke and was sidelined for 4 weeks minimum. Like the previous poster, not a doc, but not sure you should rush back into it until your head/stomach are feeling 100% and you are peeing clear.
2010-08-11 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canyon Hills (Lake Elsinore), CA
Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are 2 different things. Heat stroke can take a while to recover from while heat exhaustion can be recovered from fully in a short amount of time; as in minutes or hours with liquids, cooler temps, and rest.

2010-08-11 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3037843

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Tim_H - 2010-08-11 1:18 PM Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are 2 different things. Heat stroke can take a while to recover from while heat exhaustion can be recovered from fully in a short amount of time; as in minutes or hours with liquids, cooler temps, and rest.

exactly
2010-08-11 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3037843

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Tim_H - 2010-08-11 4:18 PM Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are 2 different things. Heat stroke can take a while to recover from while heat exhaustion can be recovered from fully in a short amount of time; as in minutes or hours with liquids, cooler temps, and rest.

Heat illness is a continuum. HUGE difference between "I got hot & weak during a workout", heat exhaustion, and heat stroke.  Heat "stroke" is a life-threatening event & takes days to weeks to recover.  Heat exhaustion is less severe, but you still don't bounce back completely in just minutes or hours.  This source suggests it may take a week to fully recover (at least for resistance to repeat heat illness):
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/heat-exhaustion?page=2

Trying to resume exercise immediately after suffering true heat exhaustion (with rapid pulse, lowered blood pressure, nausea/vomiting, etc.) can lead to heat stroke.

Bottom line:  After a heat-related episode take time to fully recover then ease back into your training routine.  Listen to your body.

Edited by Oldteen 2010-08-11 5:58 PM
2010-08-11 6:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
I recently suffered some issues myself, but I have a history of heat related problems.  I tend to consume enough liquid during exercise (usually I can get down 30-35 oz. per hour), but I have a ridiculously high sweat rate so it's important for me to take fluid intake during "down time" very seriously.  I'm not always great about this.  This past week I did poorly with daily hydration and the intensity of my workouts were fairly high.  Bad combination.

I ended up taking three full days off (Sun, Mon, Tues).  I did nothing but sleep, drink and try to relax as much as possible.

Today was my first day back.  I did a very easy 6 mile run (zone 1-low zone 2) and felt ok.  Not perfect, but ok.  Normally I average two training sessions per day, but I'm sticking with 1-a-day through this weekend in an effort to continue to recover.  I took a long nap today and am trying to make drinking my #1 priority.  I'm aiming for 1 gallon of fluid per day (not including what I consume during a workout). 

NOTE: I live in South FL.  Heat/humidity is extreme and it's this way from the beginning of May through the end of October.  We get no breaks in the weather, so for me, it's a cumulative effect.  I do "ok" in May/June.  Things start going downhill in July and by August/September, I'm always ready to quit triathlon altogether.  Your location may affect you differently.

Edited by shellabree 2010-08-11 6:56 PM
2010-08-12 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks all--this helps. I feel about 85% better today. I was going to swim some easy laps but I may not. Frustrating.
2010-08-12 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3038305

User image

Veteran
shellabree - 2010-08-11 6:54 PM I recently suffered some issues myself, but I have a history of heat related problems.  I tend to consume enough liquid during exercise (usually I can get down 30-35 oz. per hour), but I have a ridiculously high sweat rate so it's important for me to take fluid intake during "down time" very seriously.  I'm not always great about this.  This past week I did poorly with daily hydration and the intensity of my workouts were fairly high.  Bad combination.

I ended up taking three full days off (Sun, Mon, Tues).  I did nothing but sleep, drink and try to relax as much as possible.

Today was my first day back.  I did a very easy 6 mile run (zone 1-low zone 2) and felt ok.  Not perfect, but ok.  Normally I average two training sessions per day, but I'm sticking with 1-a-day through this weekend in an effort to continue to recover.  I took a long nap today and am trying to make drinking my #1 priority.  I'm aiming for 1 gallon of fluid per day (not including what I consume during a workout). 

NOTE: I live in South FL.  Heat/humidity is extreme and it's this way from the beginning of May through the end of October.  We get no breaks in the weather, so for me, it's a cumulative effect.  I do "ok" in May/June.  Things start going downhill in July and by August/September, I'm always ready to quit triathlon altogether.  Your location may affect you differently.

I am in Missouri. Right now the dew point is like 73, humidity in the 80-90s, temps 98-100. It's BAD. So I understand. And I feel the same way--I've been eating up the workouts and races in the heat all summer, but I have a tri coming up Aug 22 and I don't even want to think about it right now.

2010-08-12 11:17 AM

Veteran
Oh yeah. St Louis area here.  Wildly hot and humid.  To your question, if you can manage it, do your workouts earlier in the morning.  The humidity is not as high and the ambient temp is lower.

I run after dark, and while the air temp drops a little, the humidity and ambient temp is still really high because of all the heat still held in the roads, sidewalks, grass, etc.

Keep the workouts easy for the next couple days, and keep the fluids going.  Maybe you just went too hard too soon on your ride.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heat exhaustion--recovery time? When can I get back out there? Rss Feed