RAM Racing
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 59m 45s
Overall Rank = 338/500
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/31
Pre-race routine:

Met up with Schmize to get him race packet and the ONE AND ONLY time I run late...was this morning...my directions from Chris and Jenny's were a little off.

After I got him his stuff...I went and found a spot to rack my bike (made sure to set the backpack down first this year) and unfortunately the ends were taken, so I went in the middle of the rack. Got everything set up, bathroom done, and then headed over in one of the early shuttle busses to swim start as I REALLY wanted to get in the water.
Event warmup:

Get in that icky water and swim to first buoy so I don't panic one it's my time to swim.

Also made sure to do the stomach stretches from PT on both sides (the one where I put ankle over other knee and make a triangle or shape of a 4 if you will) and held them for 20-30 seconds each. Did 2 on each side. Also did a couple bridges for 10-15 seconds.

Swim
  • 44m 1s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Time off from last year: 16:33

Was WAY more comfortable in the water this year...still gross, but didn't panic!! I had issues in this swim with trying to get around people, especially two women in particular who CONTINUALLY swam into me...uggh! And at times, my navigation got REALLY screwed up and I was off course...but for the most part....this was good.

Funny thing...I told Marc right before I started for him NOT to swim over me (he was in wave after, as was Schmize) and he laughed...sure enough, I was trying to get away from one of the girls I mentioned above that kept swimming into me...and guess who I end up swimming right into? Yep...Marc...and RIGHT behind him...Schmize!!! I had a slight chuckle as I just watched them blow right by me like absolute machines!! It was really neat to see that up close and personal...those two battling it out....

The turn buoy seemed to come A LOT faster this year, which was a nice relief...but we still had to go left and that seemed REALLY long...chop picked up a bit once you made that left...but not too terrible.
What would you do differently?:

SWIM FASTER!!! I am going to work on that in the off season.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Time off from last year: +1:28

No idea how I added so much time from last year???

SPEED UP!!!
Bike
  • 1h 11m 48s
  • 23.7 miles
  • 19.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Time off from last year: 9:19

I had actually thought to myself while on the bike that my legs felt flat and that I wasn't riding well...but I avg. almost 20mph and I am using Schmize's distance of 23.7, because I know it wasn't a full 40k since they said it was going to be 38k.

Forgot about some of the decent size hills on this course...

Really pushed it harder on the 2nd loop.

Drank almost an entire water bottle of Fruit Punch gatorade and had 2 powergels...I felt really hungry after the swim.

Still having issues clipping into those new pedals really fast...will come with time...only second race in them....
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Time off from last year: +0.33

Because of rocks in the parking lot...I didn't take my feet out this time...and I gave myself a bad rating with running with the bike, because for the first time, I think ever, I went to the wrong rack...I somehow got discombobulated and was completely confused as to where my spot was???

Rookie mistake...don't make it...you should ALWAYS walk through your transitions...DOH!!!
Run
  • 58m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Time off from last year: 15:33

NO STOMACH PAIN AT ALL!!!! WAAAHOOOO!!!

They had more water/gatorade this time around....

I felt strong right off the bat and really enjoyed myself out there this year...saw Schmize and I gave him a "Good job Buddy!" and then shortly after, saw Marc, and I yelled out..."What, you taking it easy today?" Think that got him riled up because he fired back some comment about IM in a couple weeks...ya ya.

My neck bothered me slightly on this run, but I just kind of stretched it out and it went away. REALLY need to get in for a massage/adjustment PT appt.

Overall though...could have gone harder, but had NO idea how stomach would feel...would maybe like to do a 10k race and push it hard to see what happens????

Run harder and see how stomach feels. You don't know until you try what your stomach can handle now.
Post race
Warm down:

Take a post race picture with a HUGE smile on my face! Didn't stick around as it started to pour, and the mosquitos were TERRIBLE!!! And, I am PRETTY sure you could see through my top...even though everyone said no...I felt like I was there for the whole world to see...ha!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim...have to keep getting confidence in water and swimming hard the entire time and

Run, I will have to push myself harder to see how stomach reacts.

Event comments:

TOTAL time off from last year: 39:51

One other stat: I was 88/179 for Females.

I FINALLY went under 3 hours for a race where the swim is long...and the bike and run are NOT easy by ANY means!

I felt like a competitor out there...FINALLY...this is the race I have wanted for a couple years now. After bonking as bad as I did in Racine...this was AWESOME!!!!

:)

Last updated: 2010-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:01 | 1500 meters | 02m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/31
Overall: 431/500
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleevless Quintana Roo
Course: I DO NOT CARE what RAM officials say...this course STILL seemed long...but for me, it was WAY better than last year. You start on the beach and swim out in between boat docks on each side of you (the weeds are worse closer to these, so best to stay in the middle as best as you can) towards the first buoy and you keep the buoys on your left as you swim out to the other side of lake, turn left, and swim in to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:48 | 23.7 miles | 19.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/31
Overall: 246/500
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 2 loop boxy course through the neighborhoods...with some decent size rollers.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:35 | 06.21 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/31
Overall: 363/500
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along some pretty hilly streets...nice course though.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-11 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival

2010-08-12 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3038043

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival
Holy CRAP! You took almost 40 minutes off your time from last year!??!? That's OUTSTANDING!

Congratulations, girl. What a season you've had!
2010-08-12 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome job....way to kick it in the teeth!  40 more minutes off next year?
2010-08-12 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3039767

User image

Master
Chicago

ChicagoMan65 - 2010-08-12 11:28 AM Awesome job....way to kick it in the teeth!  40 more minutes off next year?

Is that a bet???? Cause I cannot imagine ever being able to pull a 2:19 OLY...how about 20 minutes?

Edited by miami9296 2010-08-12 12:28 PM
2010-08-12 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Nice job.  Glad the race turned out much better for you this year than last year.  Maybe one day they will get the swim right or add some more bouy's. 
2010-08-12 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great race and great improvement.  When I read your RR from last year, I didn't think you would come back...glad you got your redemption!!  Sub 3hr, and sub 1 hour on the run.  Very nice.  And you looked great on the run, and I also got to see your finish sprint.  You must have known you were close b/c you were flying at the end there.

Keep up the good work and thanks again for helping me out.  BTW, if I would have know you were staying at your sisters, I could have picked up my bag there...but it worked out fine this way, too.

2010-08-15 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
WHOOO HOOO!!! Way to GO GIRL!!! You totally rocked it! You certainly got your revenge on that course! and best of all...no pain!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival Rss Feed