RAM Racing
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 08m 1s
Overall Rank = 6/508
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/55
Pre-race routine:

Event had a crazy packet pick up rule where I couldn't pick up my bib on race day. So, miami9296 was gracious enough to pick up mine for me! Thanks, Amy! Luckily, she is an early bird at the races, too, so I was able to meet her there and still get a nice spot in transition.

Very nice that this race was only 20 minutes from my house. Had a pretty normal breakfast, started hydrating b/c it was suppose to be a low of 73 and then get up to 90. We luckily avoided most of that, and the weather with overcast skies (storm at end) was bearable considering we were training in much worse.
Event warmup:

Once I got my transition area set up, I had time for a short jog and I did about a mile run with some strides thrown in and I had a feeling that today was going to be a good day. Got my goggles, got only about a 200m swim w/u in b/c they were kicking people out at that point, but was in a good place and ready to rumble.

Talked with the Schmit's and Jonathan asked me not to pass him. He had a 6 minute head start, so I told him I planned on passing him in the water. He giggled, so I am not sure he thought I was serious? Wished them good luck.

I then bumped into Amy and she introduced me to her friend Marc, who is doing IMWI this year and is in good shape looking to KQ. This could have been a little bit of foreshadowing, but of course, I didn't know it at the time.
Swim
  • 25m 38s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started off in front. I knew the course was likely long from reading last year's RR. I figured that should only help me. Dove into the water and started swimming with one guy who was really going too fast for me. I didn't slow down trying to catch him, but he did drop me. I was then swimming with 2 others and we were all going the same speed. After about 50m of that, I decided to draft off the one guy, but the other guy wanted his feet worse than I did. So, I dropped to 4th and just conserved since I wasn't going any faster than them in the open water. This worked good as they sliced a hole through the 4 or 5 waves in front of us. I just stayed on their feet for the first 1000m or so. At the turn, I decided to make my move and passed them both, but they latched onto my feet. I stayed wide, but at least one of them stayed with me. Got to the exit ramp and the guy I was swimming with passed me as I was giving a high five to my awesome family who had come over to watch. Turns out this guy was Marc (Robertson), whom Amy introduced me to earlier.

I ran up the long transition right behind him.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. I think I did the right thing conserving on their feet since I couldn't drop them, but I really wanted to drop them. But I hit it pretty hard those last 400m.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Excellent transition. 2nd AG, 8th OA. Free time, people, free time!

Nada. I could have run faster through the long transition, but probably not worth the 3-5 seconds I would have gained.
Bike
  • 58m 49s
  • 23.6 miles
  • 24.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I ride this course every once and awhile, so I knew what to expect. Nice little rollers, wind on the east side of lake (always) and one or two short, short climbs. Passed Marc in transition, and proceeded to strap my shoes in. About mile 2 Marc passes me and is going pretty good. Since, it was hot out, I concerned myself with getting as many fluids in as I could. I had 3 bottles on the bike (a ton for an oly, but it was already close to 80 deg). I "only" got 2.25 of them down, but more than happy to lug the extra around, as opposed to getting dehydrated.

After the first couple of rollers, I noticed Marc wasn't really putting any more time into me so I decided to burn a match and catch him. When I caught up to him, I entered the draft zone, so I passed trying not to look tired. He re-passed after another mile, and then I did the same the next mile. As I was passing, I told him, this could go on for awhile....and he laughed in agreement.

We jockied back and forth for awhile and then I tried to pass with a fevor and see if I could drop him. No dice. He tried the same on the one hill of consequence just south of 176. He did put some distance there, but as we hit the downhill, I passed back.

Lots more of the same on the second loop. We both picked it up towards the end, but he got me by 7 seconds going into T2. It truly was a great race between us as we pushed each other harder than we really wanted to go at times. And now we had raced the first two disciplines together. The whole time I was chasing or passing, I was thinking that this was definitely going to come down to the run. Early on in my tri career, this wouldn't have been good for me....but with all the work I have been doing on the run, I had a good feeling on this day.

Again, not much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

This was 1st AG, and 4th OA missing by just 4 seconds. Marc was pretty close to me in transition, but I was able to get my shoes on faster and passed him. He re-passed me just before the mats and I told him, "have a good run".

Not sure I can do this any faster...
Run
  • 40m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Leaving T2 my legs were a little more fatigued than I thought they might be as we were working on this the last couple weeks. As Marc started to separate, I just knew my legs would come around. I just pushed with what I had and tried not to blow up...but also wanted to keep him in range. The 1st mile is mostly uphill, but very small grade. It makes for a tough start. After the 1st half mile, I was feeling pretty good, but I checked my watch at the same spot Marc was and he had 18 seconds on me at that point.

The next mile, the legs were coming around and I started to slowly pick up my pace. When we hit that first hill, I checked my watch again, and I was only 9 seconds behind him. On the flat portions of the course, I was running 6:20-6:25 and it didn't hurt (that bad). I felt very confident that I would be able to pass him eventually. After the first hill there is a very steep descent at the 2.25 mile point...I just let the legs go and I was basically on Marc's feet. I didn't pass b/c I wanted to catch my breath and pass with a purpose, as I didn't want to go back and forth like we did on the bike. As I passed him about 1/4 mile before the turnaround, he said, "you must have found a second wind"...I just replied that I expected to keep seeing him.

When I got to the turnaround and looked back at him, I already had about a 15 second gap, and I could tell I finally had dropped him after trying multiple times on the swim and bike. Nice to have the run as a weapon, instead of a weakness. Now I just needed to keep working to get a run PR. I just kept it redlined and hit up all the aid stations. The last half of the course is a little easier and I pushed it all the way to the end. Wish I would have known I only needed 2s less to beat 2:08..but oh, well...I had the most fun I have had "racing" a triathlon. This was an epic battle between the two of us.

Run Splits:
1m: 6:41, 153ahr
2m: 6:32, 157ahr
3m: 6:39, 161ahr
4m: 6:37, 163ahr
5m: 6:29, 164ahr
6m: 6:26, 165ahr
0.21m: 5:51, 167ahr <- too much gas ;)

AHR: 161, Max: 171 <- LT is around 160

Not pull up at the end and break 2:08. Not sure, I paced this good, although I did have a little too much left at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with the family and Amy's sister. Then saw Shannon Schroeder and congratulated her on her 2nd place OA woman's finish. Then Marc came in and we talked about what a great/fun race that was. Had some food and got out of the rain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics, humidity, long swim, hilly run (all in small increments). No complaints really. I do believe I have a faster/better race in me.

Event comments:

RAM puts on a good race. Lots of people participating in the three events of the day. Good venue, good breakfast afterwards. Not sure why they didn't do the award ceromony on site ,though? And why the heck don't they have a bib pickup on site???

Oh yeah, the goodie bag had a nice bike jersey in it. So, now I have another one to compliment my Pleasant Prairie jersey. This should make Whizzzz happy.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:38 | 1500 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/55
Overall: 9/508
Performance:
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Shuttle to start, swim across lake, turn back triangle to park.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:49 | 23.6 miles | 24.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/55
Overall: 8/508
Performance:
AHR: 148bpm (5 beats over LTHR)
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops with rollers. Wind on the backside and some super small climbs.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:46 | 06.21 miles | 06m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/55
Overall: 18/508
Performance: Good
See Below
Course: Challenging. A couple longer climbs and a steep one.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-11 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival

2010-08-11 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3038292

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival
Nice race Scott!! You were moving so fast in that first pic that you were just a blur!!! Looks like training is going well! Congrats on the podium!
2010-08-11 10:48 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

I ALWAYS love reading your race reports because you are always SO descriptive, and I feel like I am right there with you, but this is BY FAR...my FAVORITE!!!

I knew it was going to be an awesome battle between you two guys...since I know you guys are both amazing athletes! 

Not sure if I told you this already, but in the swim, I got in Marc's way, and I believe yours as well...while getting my barings straight, I kind of watched you two swim off...and it was awesome! Then to see you two again on the run...and you looked SOOOO strong, again, just awesome!  You probably didn't hear, but I yelled to him, "What, you taking it easy on the run?" HA!

SOOOOO glad you had such a great race! Thanks for all the help and support...it means a lot!!

2010-08-12 10:18 AM

User image

over a barrier
Nice work as always Scott.....you need to battle Marc in post race beerz next.
2010-08-12 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran

Must be the new suit! Cruising out there. Might have to look at this possibility of a race next year?! Now the question is when will you fly by me at Branson?

2010-08-12 3:47 PM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il

I laughed because I knew you would pass me in the water because my swim is for right now. Nice race. Good to see you out there.

2010-08-12 3:49 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Dude.  2:08.  Isn't that a little slow Smile.  Just kidding.  Very impressive.  Congrats on a great race.  Don't let Brett see this.  He will make it even tougher for you now. 
2010-08-16 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Great job Scott.  I'd have to have you on my tail, I'll tell you that.  Nice work!

2011-07-16 6:37 AM

User image

New user

Gurnee / Waukegan
Awesome Race Report, and excellent race. Very impressive!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival Rss Feed