General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking at 70.3s Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-11 10:47 PM

User image

Natrona Heights, PA
Subject: Looking at 70.3s
Looking to do my first 70.3 in 2011.  I am looking right now at Mooseman, Timberman, Syracuse, Racine, Muskoka or the new Pocono Mountains.  Maybe there will be other new 70.3s not yet announced?

Anyway, looking at the 5 that currently exist (Poconos still being finalized) I really can't decide. 

My criteria?  I'd like a full 1.2 mile swim (I've heard some courses were/are notoriously short) in a lake, not a river or salt water.  Bike does not need to be pancake flat (I really don't want pancake flat), but hey, I am currently 233 (hoping for about 210 by next fall) so I am not looking for a Savageman type course either.  I would like a single loop.  That leads to the run.  Again, being heavy, I wasn't looking for a mountain climb and again, I like the idea of a single loop.  For both the bike and run, a loop is preferable to out and back.

Initially I was looking at Syracuse, but they keep changing the course so it's hard to guess what's going to actually happen there, and it seems like there could be changes next year too based on what happens in this year's race.  Today's postings on the SYR thread imply that the run will be through a less than desirable neighborhood.  Maybe we'll have to see what happens there.

Mooseman and Timberman seem solid, but I am not sure I would be in good HIM shape by June and Timberman might be a little too hilly on the bike, maybe not though.

Racine seems OK maybe, but the lake is apparently really cold.  Fine for me to swim, but if I go for a summer race it will turn into a family vacation, and my kids will not like a 65 degree lake.

Which brings us to Muskoka.  It looks to be a good fit too, and while it's a little far, it's still a reasonable drive from where I live in Pittsburgh.

One last factor would be the fact that SYR looks like they have a Clydesdale division, which is something that would definitely be a bonus for me because while I doubt at my size I will ever be competitive in AG, I believe at some point I could be in Clyde, and it's OK to dream right?  I know WTC supposedly dropped the Clyde/Athena classes, but I see that's a category at SYR this year.

Those of you who have done any of these races, what makes any one of them "special" or stand out - like a great finishing chute or unique finisher medals or great food, whatever.

Also, I know all the reasons the non-branded HIMs could be fine, but this go around I am only interested in IM branded 70.3s.

2010-08-12 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3038670

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Looking at 70.3s
I can give you my opinion of Muskoka having done it last year.

1)  The swim is in a lake, and from what I could tell the distance was accurate - I also haven't heard complaints about it being long or short.

2)  The bike is hilly, but for the first 60km most of the hills are out on the highway and I personally didn't find them too steep, you just find a comfortable gear.  The last 30km though, there are repetitous hills that force you out of the saddle and will slow you down.  You need to save something for this section, and keep in mind the run that will follow. 

The bike is also a single loop, but in order for them to manage that, the course is a bit long at 94km - but they advertise it that way.  The ride itself is gorgeous, as Muskoka makes up part of the Canadian Shield.

3)  The run is a bit tough, and I ran into problems here.  The first 6-7km is fairly flat, just slightly undulating, but then it turns off and you end up climbing a decent hill (approx 1km), where a lot of people ending up walking, myslef included.  Once up the hill, you run on a flat section for a short while to the turnaround and then back again, and down the hill.  At the bottom you then turn onto a paved trail rather than running back down the road, and this trail has a number of little bends, ups and downs, and I found I was walking part of it (IT issues were causing pain at that point).

I had ridden the course before the race and found it more challenging the first time I rode it, but on race day I really didn't think that first 60km was difficult - but the last 30km is, and you do have to be prepared for it.

Overall I would rate the course as Hard, but certainly manageable as long as you've trained on some hills.  I would have gone back again this year, but nagging IT issues have prevented me from running much this year, and I do think you need to be ready for the run after a reasonably tough ride.  All in all it's a great venue, and I'm hoping to make it back in 2011.
2010-08-12 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Muskoka seems to fit your 'Requirements'. I raced it last year and loved it.

The location is beautiful, the lake is big and clean (you swim in a big sheltered bay so the waves / chop is limited).  The bike is a single loop around the lake, challenging and 2 miles longer then standard. Its a beautiful ride with very little traffic. The run was a single out/back/loop and moderatly hilly.  The race draws some big names - Craig Alexander and Mirinda Carfrae raced it last year.

If you can afford it book yourself in the Deerhurst Resort hotel. Its woth the extra few bucks to be on-site at such a beautiful location (the G8 summit was held there this summer - if its good enough for Presidents and Prime Ministers it should be good enough for mst of us Triatheletes)

2010-08-12 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Racine was nice.  How long will the family vacation part be?  Its only an hour from Chicago, you could stay there a couple days after and there's no shortage of things to do, esp with kids.

2010-08-12 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3039258

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
ChicagoMan65 - 2010-08-12 9:21 AM

Racine was nice.  How long will the family vacation part be?  Its only an hour from Chicago, you could stay there a couple days after and there's no shortage of things to do, esp with kids.

x2.  I haven't done Racine yet, but we're thinking we're going to do it next year.  It's a nice enough area, and the run goes through the zoo, which is JUST distracting enough to make me think I can do the last 13 miles!  Lake Michigan shouldn't be TOO awful at that time of year either, and if it is, there are plenty of inland lakes in Wisconsin for you guys to go to before/after the race.  And if I'M talking about doing a HIM, you know it can't be too tough-looking!  Tongue out

Milwaukee is a pretty neat city to check out also.  I loved living there!
2010-08-12 10:02 AM

look at Galveston 70.3..... it's a completely flat course both in the bike and the run. The swim is in salt water closed bayou so no surf and it's wet suit legal. Organization was great and so were the volunteers... it's a great first 70.3 race. I'm doing miami 70.3 at the end of October which is suppose to be flat as well but this is inaugural year so I'll let you know in November.

2010-08-12 10:37 AM

User image

Regular
Doylestown, PA
BASSMAN 70.3 in the pinelands of NJ!  Running this for the first time in 7 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes, but it should fit your requirements.

http://www.citytri.com/bmtri.htm
2010-08-12 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
I'm targeting Racine for my first 70.3 next year as well. A good friend of mine who has done countless Ironmans and 70.3's and who is responsible for getting me into triathlon is likely going to do it with me, and he recommended it (at least over Steelhead, which was the other one I was thinking about); said it was a very well organized race and a fast course.
2010-08-12 11:49 AM

User image

Natrona Heights, PA
Thanks everyone, but I kept looking last night and thinking and after running across one too many threads touting it, I think it's going to be Musselman, even though it's not M-dot branded.

I really can't find anything negative about it, period.  It has the one decent climb but not too bad and its a single loop basically for both bike and run.  Plus it has a kids race for my 7 year old and a sprint for my dad if he comes.  Crowd support looks great and it's supposed to be crystal clear swimming.  Not too big but not too small either at 900 people.

Registration opens Nov 15th so I have some time to decide, but I think that's it.
2010-08-12 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3039829

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Hartford, CT
3darcher2 - 2010-08-12 12:49 PM Thanks everyone, but I kept looking last night and thinking and after running across one too many threads touting it, I think it's going to be Musselman, even though it's not M-dot branded.

I really can't find anything negative about it, period.  It has the one decent climb but not too bad and its a single loop basically for both bike and run.  Plus it has a kids race for my 7 year old and a sprint for my dad if he comes.  Crowd support looks great and it's supposed to be crystal clear swimming.  Not too big but not too small either at 900 people.

Registration opens Nov 15th so I have some time to decide, but I think that's it.

When I read your initial post and saw your wish list, I was going to respond with Musselman until I saw you were looking at M-dot only.  I know some people that have done Musselman and loved it.  I've done the Mini-Mussel for the past two years and am going to sign up for next year's Musselman as my first half.

Good choice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking at 70.3s Rss Feed