General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vent. Blood clot - will miss first triathlon Sunday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-12 6:39 PM

User image

Subject: Vent. Blood clot - will miss first triathlon Sunday
I am a lurker - although I have posted a few times. I know I should be glad to be alive and blah, blah, blah. But, I'm just pissed and sad and pissed.
I've been training for my first triathlon - sprint tri in Portland Maine 8/15 - like CRAZY. I am already an addict, and am so glad to have found a competitive athletic outlet for that part of me that has been laying dormant since high school soccer. (25 year ago - LOL)
So, July 28 I swam 2800 yards in 6 AM swim class, ran 3.5 miles, then PM after work I biked and then  did some sprints on a  huge hill. Later I had calf pain and tightness, over the next few days I rested, stretched, and stopped running. Kept biking and swimming, finally went to the Dr. who said I should keep going it was actually the physical therapist who insisted on ruling out a blood clot. Well, it is. And now, I can't do my first tri.
I knew you all would understand my disappointment. My real love is running, so it has taken a lot to get to here, and now I can't even participate. I'm devastated and knew that I could whine here and everyone wouldn't say oh you should just be grateful they found the blood clot.
Thanks for listening.

2010-08-12 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3040969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Vent. Blood clot - will miss first triathlon Sunday
I have so many DNS's it's not funny... due to shin splints & stress fractures -  I understand your disappointment and anger... and gratefulness that they figured out what's wrong  - all at the same time...

I don't know anything about blood clots in the legs - will you be able to run again when this heals?
2010-08-12 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
I think that you deserve a hardy CONGRATULATIONS for completing all of the training.  That is the difficult part.  I am sorry to hear about you blood clot and I am glad that they found it!

I hope you can continue.  Best wishes. 
2010-08-12 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3040979

User image

Diane,
Thanks. I knew you all would understand. I got the blood clot most likely from being on the pill - oh and over 40 - so it's not the end of the line for me. There is one more test for a clotting disorder, but it's not likely. Although I am on blood thinner (coumadin) for at least 3 months, I was surprised and elated to learn yesterday I can probably start running and swimming again in as little as two weeks, pending leg pain. I can't bike due to possible trauma from a crash, but, biking isn't as important to me, and I'm just glad to work out again.
So, good question and it does put it in perspective a bit. There is a chance that my blood clot won't go away and then there are possible other issues, but, most likely mine will dissolve.
I have a half marathon in October I thought I would miss that too, but I don't think I will. Also, I have to find another triathlon to do this season. I live in NJ and there are more. But I wanted to do this one and raised $2,000. Oh I will stop whining!
Kathryn
2010-08-12 7:43 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I echo everyone else's sympathy for you.

If you really want to, you can still ride on a trainer once your doc clears you for running and swimming. I wouldn't risk riding outside while on coumadin but the chance of a crash with serious trauma is pretty darn low (zero?) while on a trainer (I however would not pick this as the time to learn to use rollers).

This way you can continue all three activities and when your get your final clearance you can crush your first triathlon.

Good luck.
2010-08-12 8:45 PM

User image

Thank you all for understanding. It's not easy to keep it all in perspective when all I want to do is tri on Sunday. My best friend is a cancer survivor and she is doing it - so I am excited for her almost as much as I would be for myself.
I should think about rollers for the winter when I am off coumadin - I should be training to my weakness which is biking - but my weakness is more about riding an actual bike and balance and getting over the fear of road rash.
Thanks for congratulations on training that's another thing I should comfort myself with - I have never been in this shape in my life. It feels great.
Kathryn

Edited by akatklein 2010-08-12 8:46 PM

2010-08-12 9:09 PM

User image

Chicago
You're very lucky it was caught early and diagnosed correctly, based on the location I'm guessing you have a DVT. I'm also currently on coumadin for a DVT, complication from my ACL surgery in March. I had surgery on a Tuesday and by Saturday night I had pain in my calf that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It felt like someone was stabbing me in the calf anytime my leg wasn't elevated above my heart. The worst pain I've ever had, 100x worse then the ACL tear.

I called my doc on Sunday, explained the symptoms and he immediately sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound. After the test and finding the clot I was sent to the ER. This was followed up by 5 days on blood thinner injections in the stomach and now 7.5mg of coumadin for 3-6 months.

DVTs are VERY scary and I had no idea how serious they were until I started googling them. Many people have had them break loose and cause a pulminary embolism, which tends to lead to death. It is estimated that approximately 350,000 to 600,000 Americans each year suffer from DVT and pulmonary embolism and at least 100,000 deaths may be directly or indirectly related to these diseases.

I'm sorry you're missing your tri, but be very happy it was caught early and you're on the appropriate treatment. What is your coumadin dosage? I'm riding while on it, and I'm not too concerned. It would have to be a very serious crash with severe trauma for the blood thinning to have an impact. I've had many minor cuts and scrapes since I started, and while they don't heal as fast as before, they don't bleed noticeably more then before.

Edited by tomcho 2010-08-12 9:17 PM
2010-08-12 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
While I have difficulty relating to anyone who actually enjoys running I can understand the disappointment of missing races, especially your first. That has to suck. I had to miss a year and a half of races and training when I was diagnosed with a heart issue and I resented it a lot. But, we're getting into better shape, we're getting into a great lifestyle, and we're feeling and looking better than we did a few years ago. Pretty good for our 40's right? Have fun supporting your friend, resist the urge to jump in there and start racing along with her (it will be hard), and enjoy yourself.  

Maybe next year I will see you at the Kennebunkport or Pumpkinman Tri!

Blair  
2010-08-12 9:45 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Ah, sorry to hear it man. That really does suck. You get all pumped and trained... and then bam! You can't do it.

But yeah, thank goodness they caught it!

On a positive note... you can sign up for another tri and you will race in the future! Had you raced this weekend... it might have possibly been your first and last. This way, you get to race 100's in your lifetime!

2010-08-12 10:27 PM
in reply to: #3041180

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
tomcho - 2010-08-12 10:09 PM

What is your coumadin dosage? I'm riding while on it, and I'm not too concerned. It would have to be a very serious crash with severe trauma for the blood thinning to have an impact. I've had many minor cuts and scrapes since I started, and while they don't heal as fast as before, they don't bleed noticeably more then before.

The problem is: if you whack your head and start to bleed in your skull a whole lot of damage can be done becuase your blood doesn't clot and the brain gets compressed.

I can't tell you how many "old people" end up in the ER/Operating room because of a small trauma to the head while on coumadin.

You get to make your own decisions (and maybe your dose is really small) but blood thinners and head trauma are no joke.
2010-08-12 10:47 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
I'm with several in this thread. Blood thinners are no joke!

Knee surgery, blood clot in the back of the leg 2 days later. 8 days monitoring and dissolving in the hospital. IV of heparin, pill of coumadin, and the stomach shots of lovenox. Stayed on coumadin for 6mo, and lovenox for 4. 

Any small cut and I bled like a stuck pig. I had to be super careful. It was a good year after I got off of coumadin that I was able to give blood.

Be grateful you caught it early and went to the doctor. Now, be smart and stay healthy so you can take your revenge out on the next race you sign up for!  

2010-08-12 11:00 PM

User image

I feel for you. i am missing my second season due to pulmonary emboli. twice. it's good the clots didn't go to your lungs. it's not fun. i am lucky i didn't die, but am on coumadin for life. i have made the decision to keep riding (trust me, after over a year on thinners i know and accept all the risks) and ride outside but when i get back on a plan it will be mostly on the computrainer. there's a few of us here and on slowtwitch hat ride on coumadin. others don't. it's a personal choice. good luck to you
2010-08-12 11:07 PM

User image

Chicago
Sorry folks, my comment about riding on coumadin was probably ignorant.  I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express so people consult your doctors. I'm on a relatively low INR of 2.0, and 99% of my riding is on trails so I feel safe.
2010-08-13 1:22 PM

User image

Right now I'm taking 5 mg of coumadin a day, but, it's only been a 9 days so we aren't exactly sure what my dosage will  be over the next few months. I did have the stomach shots. They didn't hurt at all, well not much, they stung a little, but they left huge bruises on my stomach. At least I have some battle wounds.

BTW - I"m not sure if I should say I love running - what I really love is the way my body feels when it gets difficult and when it's over. You really know you did something. OK I do love it!

I wouldn't take the risk of crashing right now, honestly if it was running, maybe I would take the risk. But as far as I'm concerned it's a great excuse to not ride. Now that I say that I realize I can't do a Tri this season. Crap.  
Well there's always my half marathon in October. But next year nothing can stop me from my first triathlon. Actually maybe I've just found a good excuse to go west or south and do one this winter. Hmmmm.
Kathryn
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vent. Blood clot - will miss first triathlon Sunday Rss Feed