United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 17s
Overall Rank = 151/243
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Always the same. Same morning routine, same bfast, etc. I was able to park in the nearer of two parking lots, which was nice. I knew I may have to park a ways away, so I packed light so I could ride not walk. My bike tipped over in the car and my computer got out of whack. It's been touchy lately and since I am using the back-up bike, I decided to just ignore it and not worry (since it wouldn't easily line back up). I was glad I could ride my bike from the car, because I usually forget to check the gears and reset everything if I walk it in..

I ran into Mike (Mikfinne) and Lance (Lbochs) pre-race, which is great! It can be lonely without someone to chat with.
Event warmup:

The weather was chilly and windy and the water was like a bathtub. So I got in and swam a little, but mostly sat in the water up to my neck for warmth. It was VERY wavy, so I wore the noseplug. Really glad I had that. I tried not to fret about the waves, but it was pretty intense.
Swim
  • 20m 42s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

While this is no PR, this was EXTREMELY challenging and a big victory. The waves and subsequent current kept pushing me away from the course and I am just not strong enough in the water to fight back. I also got a lot of water in the face, despite being able to breathe whenever/whichever way I wanted. It was hard to time. I really considered giving up - a common theme for me in races before I hit the turn buoy. But this was really scary and lots of people were struggling. If this race had happened two years ago, I wouldn't have made it! At the turn buoy my watch said 9 mins and some change - crazy! The return trip sure was a lot better and I swam until the last minute.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

This was a little slow... It was a very long run from the beach, where the timing mat was located. But even in comparison to others, I am not proud. I struggled a bit with my wetsuit on my legs.
Bike
  • 49m 41s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Boy is it fun to do a short course! The first bit of each loops was into the wind, but it wasn't more than 2 miles. The rest was actually fun - I've been working on my cornering and I took more risks than earlier in the season. This was definitely a challenging course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Okay, this was much faster than I thought it would be! I really liked my transition spot.
Run
  • 29m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, a very challenging leg. Nothing was easy at this race! I chugged along as best as I could, but did walk up a few steep (to me, anyway...) hills. Only at about mile 2 did it finally start to get warm, pretty lucky weather day!
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched a bit, talked to Lance, and packed up. I learned I was the first Athena so I waited for awards. Until the last minute I was regretting waiting. It took soooooo long and they were going to call Athenas first and then decided to save them for last - drat! However, it was worth waiting. I am always grateful for a win and the other two gals were really enthusiastic, which made me really proud of the group in general. They were actually pretty close to me in time, so it was a good "race".

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was just a challenge for me in all ways and I am very satisfied with how I handled it. I've been slacking a bit in the last few weeks, which I suppose might contribute a little to my abilities.

Event comments:

I liked this challenging course and the RD was responsive to e-mails pre-race, an anomaly. I really wish he'd started awards sooner. The winners must have waited 2 hours. I didn't realize everyone had gotten their stuff packed and removed until I found my bike and one other on a single rack in the former T area. Oh well, next time I will put everything in my car and drive the car back since the parking lot was then available. The race supports the MN Storm swim team so the place was overrun with kid volunteers. They can get a little goofy and loud, but they actually got the job done very well. I would absolutely recommend this race.

Last updated: 2010-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:42 | 800 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 164/243
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Swam to the right about 2/5s of the distance, then turned back wide parallel to the shore for a counter-clockwise out and back.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:41 | 14 miles | 16.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 147/243
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Two loops "around the lake". A challenging, technical course with several residential turns, hills, and a short stint on a bike path.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:10 | 03.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 179/243
Performance:
Course: Out and back by the lake. Several hills and a few turns.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-15 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Lake Marion Triathlon

2010-08-15 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3044541

Eden Prairie, MN
Subject: RE: Lake Marion Triathlon
It's nice to see your brutal description of the swim. It makes me even more proud to have finished in the time that I did! Good job, especially on the bike. My goal for next year is to get up into that mph range.
2010-08-15 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3044743

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Great to meet you Emily! I'm glad you enjoyed the race today, it was fun reading your race report! The swim was definitely hard today with the wind and waves. Congrats on your win!
2010-08-15 9:15 PM

User image

Burnsville, MN
Congrats on the first place finish!
2010-08-15 9:19 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Nice race!  Swimming in choppy water with wind is not fun.  Congrats on surviving that.
2010-08-16 9:41 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
congrats on first!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Marion Triathlon Rss Feed