General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-15 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Hydration question
Hi everyone--

Just got back from a 38-mile ride with my local tri club-- we usually do this as a brick, with a 5K afterwards. It's warm and humid here today, so I made sure to drink plenty of water during the ride, and also tried out Accelerade in the hope that this might prove to be the sports drink of choice for me (I've tried *some* flavours of Gatorade and found them sickly sweet; similarly, HEED didn't do a lot for me in terms of taste-- and if I don't like the taste, I won't drink the stuff, I find).

The Accelerade seemed to work OK on the bike, but I had to cut the run short due to stomach cramps (very much Not Cool, and which I've never had before). I've heard that protein can do a number on one's innards on the run, so I'm guessing the protein in the drink is the likely culprit.

Any suggestions for what I could/should try next? I do know that *after* a long workout I get lightheaded and feel like crap if all I have is carb-based: I find a half-bottle of Myoplex goes down a treat for the drive home where I can get some real food. Anyone have a sports drink they absolutely love and/or hate while they're working out? Or should I try using NUUN (which I can definitely tolerate-- I drank a whole lot of that stuff when I got home today) in my water bottles for electrolytes and supplement that with a gel or other form of carb on the bike? I've got my first Oly coming up, and I certainly don't want to be without some sort of fuel for that.

Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated. Thanks!

2010-08-16 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3044637

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Hydration question
I like the Zenergize (Hydrate) products.
They are very similar to NUUN but taste much better in my opinion.
The only problem being that it's not easy to come by locally....

http://www.zenergizehealth.com/
2010-08-16 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I love lemon lime Gatorade. Sorry, no help to you. I have a huge sweet tooth and really enjoy the "sickly" sweetness of it.

That being said, I just ordered some Heed and will be training with that since that's what will be on the course at my big race of the year. I haven't particularly liked the taste of it in the past but I can adapt. I want to be able to take advantage of the bottle exchange  on the bike, and don't want to have to carry any fluids on the run.
2010-08-16 2:33 PM

User image

Regular
Flagstaff
I've used Spiz and Perpetuum before; both seemed to work fine.  Spiz, at least, does have some protein in it, but maybe it's a more palatable form for you?

2010-08-16 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
Boston area
I have much the same quandary.  I used Gatorade for a long (for me) ride, and I just couldn't handle how sweet it was.  When I've used it in the past, I've done it half strength by just adding half the powder I'm supposed to add.  But then I read somewhere that diluting it messes with the way it empties from your stomach. 

I tried a packet of HEED last week, and it was just too weak tasting for me.  I do like that it has some non-sweet tasting carbs (maltodextrin, IIRC). I want a little of the tanginess that Gatorade has, but less sugar.

I looked up Zenergize, but their electrolyte tablets don't have any carbs.  That confuses me.  Is it for shorter workouts where you may sweat a lot but can re-fuel afterwards?  I'm just not sure how it would work in a 2-3 hour race setting.

I thought that we need carbs in our electrolyte drink to keep from running out of energy.  That and electrolytes to make sure we don't lose minerals from sweat. 
2010-08-16 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3046572

User image

Expert
Leicester
rljohnsufl - 2010-08-16 2:41 PM

I have much the same quandary.  I used Gatorade for a long (for me) ride, and I just couldn't handle how sweet it was.  When I've used it in the past, I've done it half strength by just adding half the powder I'm supposed to add.  But then I read somewhere that diluting it messes with the way it empties from your stomach. 

I tried a packet of HEED last week, and it was just too weak tasting for me.  I do like that it has some non-sweet tasting carbs (maltodextrin, IIRC). I want a little of the tanginess that Gatorade has, but less sugar.

I bought bulk Maltodextrin and have been workingout what I like with it, I've tried the propel powder which has electrolites and some tase, not bad. Cherry koolaid! sounds bad but a little of it is enough to flavor without adding much sugar (but I'm sure a lot of other bad stuff)
Best taste was fresh orange, but I've yet to let it cook for an hour or two on the bike, may taste a bit worse then.

2010-08-16 4:04 PM

Regular
Noblesville, IN

How about water and an e-gel, which has electrolytes. I've really been digging drinking water lately.

Getting ready to go on a group ride in a few. I'm going to drink a coke before hand and just have water. I don't know how scientific that is, but I sure like it.

2010-08-16 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks, everyone. I headed out to my local REI yesterday evening and looked around at what (else) they had-- picked up some Vitalyte sample packets. This stuff seems to have both electrolytes and carbs, but not too much sugar. Tried a bit of it today after my run and it tasted OK; will give it a whirl Wed during my long run and see how it goes. Thanks for the recommendations-- I'll certainly keep them in mind for the next round of experimentation if this doesn't work!
2010-08-16 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3047101

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
What about Gu Electrolyte Brew?  Lighter than Gatorade, better tasting than Heed, and no protein like Accelerade.  I actually really enjoy it!

Nuun + gels will work too. 
2010-08-16 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I don't do really "long" rides or runs by most people's standards, but on the longest ones I've done I use a combo of Nuun + gels because I like controlling the fluids/electrolytes and calories/carbs separately (as in on a 2 hr ride in 80 degrees and 100% humidity I may need more fluid and electrolytes than I need calories, if they were combined I might suck down too many calories/carbs than I want in an effort to get fluids)
2010-08-16 7:53 PM

I really like First Endurance EFS. I, too, dislike Gatorade b/c it is so sweet and HEED just doesn't do it for me. I used it for my oly tri on Sun and it worked great.

2010-08-17 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3046572

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
rljohnsufl - 2010-08-16 1:41 PM
I looked up Zenergize, but their electrolyte tablets don't have any carbs.  That confuses me.  Is it for shorter workouts where you may sweat a lot but can re-fuel afterwards?  I'm just not sure how it would work in a 2-3 hour race setting.

I thought that we need carbs in our electrolyte drink to keep from running out of energy.  That and electrolytes to make sure we don't lose minerals from sweat. 

There are no carbs in Zenergize. I use a combination of GU and Zenergize to get the electrolytes and carbs for the same reason mademille mentioned - I like to control them separately.
2010-08-17 9:09 AM

Regular
NorCal, near Lake Tahoe, Ca
How about Infinit? You can customize the carbs, electrolytes and the amount of flavor. You can also choose whether or not to put in any protein and can choose how much if you do want it.
2010-08-17 3:41 PM

Regular
Babylon
Infinit is the way to go.  You can adjust everything to customize the drink to you.

I can get you 10% with our team discount if you want. 
2010-08-17 4:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
I really like Hammer Endurolytes capsules.  I don't like that full belly feeling from drinking too much. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration question Rss Feed