General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Title 9 Women Only Sprint - Hopkinton Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-15 8:55 PM

User image

Subject: Title 9 Women Only Sprint - Hopkinton
Is anyone else planning to do this?  It's my first tri and I'm alternately completely stoked and completely freaked out. 

Yesterday my husband and I went to try out the bike route.  We managed (we = me in this sentence, but don't tell him I admitted that!) to misread the cue sheet and added 3 miles and two very steep hills to the ride.  Even without them, it's awfully hilly.  I like climbing, so that doesn't faze me too much.  On the other hand, the traffic on some of the course was super stressful.  I assume they don't close the roads on race day especially Route 85. 

Anyway, it looks like a great place for a tri, and I can't wait! 

2010-08-16 6:18 AM
in reply to: #3045051

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Subject: RE: Title 9 Women Only Sprint - Hopkinton

I am.  It will be my first as well and also going through the same emotional rollercoaster.

I went out to the course last week and was really disappointed at how awful the roads were, especially in the park itself.  I fear my chain coming off.  The bike hills I'm fine with, running them is a different story.  

Funny you mention the course error, I left my cue sheet at home and ended up shortening the course by two miles.   I was stoked with my time until I realized that error.  Oops. 

2010-08-16 7:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Ma

This will also be my first tri! I too am excited/scared. I have ridden the full course once, on a Saturday evening, the traffic wasn't too bad. Here's hoping Sunday morning is quiet. It is a hilly course but there's only a couple that really get me. Of course I riding a 24 yr old 12 speed...so hills can be a challenge. I agree the roads inside of the park are nasty. Besides worrying about the chain I get so jarred I swear I can feel my brain rattling around up there...especially when you're doing 30+ down the hill.

2010-08-16 8:21 AM

New user

I'm on the waiting list. will know on august 22nd if I got in. So,,,,, it's hilly? LOL
2010-08-16 8:30 AM

User image

Until I figured out that we had added three miles to the course I was really depressed - I couldn't believe I was that much slower than I thought I was. I know I'm slow going downhill but I thought I did ok on the rest. It turns out my bike time is probably solidly in the middle of the pack, like I thought!The road in the park is not in good shape but it's probably harder on us than our bikes. The water looked gorgeous!
2010-08-16 9:13 AM

New user

Massachusetts
It's my first tri too.  Right now, I am in terrified mode, becasue I got sick, and lost a week of training. 

2010-08-16 11:50 AM

User image

Regular
Boston area

It's my first tri.  I'm not panicking yet - but maybe I should be!  Smile  I hadn't thought to do the bike route yet. I've tried a few hilly rides and they kill me. I need to do more.  I didn't know the park roads were in bad shape.  That sucks. 

I'm expecting to finish back of pack and have fun.  I'm still excited about it.  I just ordered clipless pedals - I hope I get them soon enough to learn how to use them.  If not, I'll just do it with the ole' clips. 

However, I might try to get DH to ride the course with me.  If any of you have a Garmin 305 (my fave toy), you can program the course in, and it makes it easier to find your way.

2010-08-16 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3046014

User image

Veteran
Ma
rljohnsufl - 2010-08-16 12:50 PM

It's my first tri.  I'm not panicking yet - but maybe I should be!  Smile  I hadn't thought to do the bike route yet. I've tried a few hilly rides and they kill me. I need to do more.  I didn't know the park roads were in bad shape.  That sucks. 

I'm expecting to finish back of pack and have fun.  I'm still excited about it.  I just ordered clipless pedals - I hope I get them soon enough to learn how to use them.  If not, I'll just do it with the ole' clips. 

However, I might try to get DH to ride the course with me.  If any of you have a Garmin 305 (my fave toy), you can program the course in, and it makes it easier to find your way.

They are deceiving. They look pretty good, but as you go along there are cracks that go completely across the road and are brutal. Fortunately the majority of the route is outside of the park.
2010-08-18 8:15 AM

User image

Regular
Boston area
Given the recent news of bike accidents, I'm a little more spooked about traffic.  I had some notion that they closed down the roads for the triathlon, but I guess that's not realistic. 

So is traffic controlled during the race, and if so, how?  I'm guessing there are no traffic lights on the race course?  What happens if people have to stop to yield to traffic when making turns, etc.?

2010-08-18 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3049797

User image

Veteran
Ma
rljohnsufl - 2010-08-18 9:15 AM Given the recent news of bike accidents, I'm a little more spooked about traffic.  I had some notion that they closed down the roads for the triathlon, but I guess that's not realistic. 

So is traffic controlled during the race, and if so, how?  I'm guessing there are no traffic lights on the race course?  What happens if people have to stop to yield to traffic when making turns, etc.?

There is one traffic light/intersection (Right turn from Rt85 onto Cordeville Rd). I am hoping they have a police officer there because you are coming down a hill at a pretty good clip and it takes the wind out of your sails so to speak to have to stop/slow down to make the turn according to traffic. Not sure about the other stop signs. There is one from Rafferty onto Rt85. It will effect time. The turn from Cordeville onto High St is not particularly fun either. No stop sign or anything but it's a rather sharp right and then the hill is right there so you lose momentum for going up the hill.
2010-08-27 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I did this one last year. Yes, the roads in the park leave a lot to be desired. On the down hill on the way out there are cracks in the pavement that can jar you, BUT for the most part, the course is pleasant.

The junction somebody mention WILL have a volunteer / police officer on it. There will be volunteers at pretty much every turn so just enjoy it and have FUN.

2010-09-12 2:10 PM

User image

That was fantastic!  What a great race.  I hope you all enjoyed yourselves as much as I did!  It seemed incredibly well organized.  The only down side was being in the last wave - my feet were freezing by the time we finally got in the water.  It's several hours later and I'm still pumped from the race.  
2010-09-12 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
That was fun. Can't wait to do another.Did they post splits at the race? I only saw final times.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Title 9 Women Only Sprint - Hopkinton Rss Feed