General Discussion Race Reports! » Mud, Sweat & Gears Eastern Region #4 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mud, Sweat & Gears Eastern Region #4 - CycleOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Essex, England
United Kingdom
Total Time = 1h 52m
Overall Rank = 3/8
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Everything kind of fell apart - forgot the camera, forgot my pre-race food at the house. Had all my gear though
Event warmup:

Did a lap of most of the course with Josh. Parts of it were very muddy. Josh fell down and then later in the course, I fell hard on my right shoulder (the good one) and bruised up the whole right side of my body. When we got back to the car, I changed my front tire to a grippier version, which seemed to help. Mostly I was trying to calm myself down from the fall and talk myself into being able to do the race.
Bike
  • 1h 52m
  • 12.47 miles
  • 6.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Most of the race went well - the girls all started together, so it was hard to tell who was in my age group. We spread out right from the beginning and pretty much maintained our positions throughout the race. The first lap wasn't too bad, but I did have to unclip and walk up the sides of some of the bombholes - coming around corners, you couldn't get up enough momentum to get up the other side. I did very well in the singletrack and coming down the bombholes, but not enough training so I really struggled on the uphills.

The second lap went pretty well, however, when I got to the bombhole section, I realized my left cleat was starting to move around and it was getting harder and harder to unclip. Then it happened- my left cleat didn't unclip and I fell over on that side with my shoe still clipped in. I did manage to get it unclipped, but I got pretty bruised and cut up. Finished that lap and thought I was done only to find out we were doing 3 laps. I stopped for a few minutes to try to fix my cleat (I couldn't) and to break out the shot bloks for a bit of energy. Then I started going- not a bad lap, but I was really struggling for energy. When I got to the bombhole section, my cleat clipped out but would never clip back in, so I did the rest of the race with one shoe in and one out. My legs and hands were shaking so badly I wasn't sure I was going to make it to the end, but I did!!! Got second in my AG, and 3rd overall woman- I even got a little trophy!
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I had enough food and start eating earlier in the race. Realize that I was going to be riding for almost 2 hours and be mentally prepared for that. DO MORE TRAINING!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Pepsi and attempting to stop shaking!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training!

Last updated: 2010-02-13 12:00 AM
Biking
01:52:00 | 12.47 miles | 6.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 3/8
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Codham Park - lots of riding on grass. Very hilly with some swoopy sections. Lots of singletrack with quite a few bomb holes.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-16 6:08 AM

Veteran
Newmarket, Suffolk
Subject: Mud, Sweat & Gears Eastern Region #4

2010-08-16 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3045257

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: Mud, Sweat & Gears Eastern Region #4
WAY TO GO!!!! Nice job on the hardwear!! Really proud of you for getting back on the bike after a crash and coming back strong!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mud, Sweat & Gears Eastern Region #4 Rss Feed