United States
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 26s
Overall Rank = 120/124
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/24
Pre-race routine:

Okay, I want to preface this by saying that this race was by far my most uncomfortable, miserable racing experience to date....

I'm sure all of you are familiar with the T-Gator 3. It's a short sprint course in Lake Charles.

I was looking for some payback against this course after having my two flats last month at T-Gator #2. But it wasn't meant to be today.

I drove in from BR and got to the park at 5:55am. Got my bike in the rack, signed in and got transition set up. Pre-race warm up and stretching then started wasting time until we started. Lots of familiar friendly faces.

Event warmup:

small amount of jogging and a brief swim in the cold water of Pine River.
Swim
  • 15m 15s
  • 525 meters
  • 02m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

The horn went off and the swimming began... the water being cool actually seemed nice now. I pushed a little more this time (or I tried to) figuring I would need to with that slight current. I popped out of the water and I knew things were going to sh*t on my way to transition. A large wave of nausea overcame me, I couldn't hear to well and I was dizzy.... I have never felt that bad in a race before. It only got worse.
What would you do differently?:

see my comments at the end of this report.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Okay, back to transition.... I got to my bike and knew that something wasn't right. So I opted to wait a minute or two and pick a spot to puke should the need to arise. After what seemed like a really long time the nausea subsided enough to get on the bike and ride. I also couldn't hear very well for some reason...I figured that I would recover on the bike if I took it easy. Well after about 10 miles of pushing and backing off I just kept it slow but knew that the run was going to be misery.
Bike
  • 53m 49s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Well after about 10 miles of pushing and backing off I just kept it slow but knew that the run was going to be misery. I really couldn't hydrate much because of the nause... I'm not sure if it was the Blue Powerade or me being nauseated or which one came first...

What would you do differently?:

see comments at the end...
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Run
  • 37m 52s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 15m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 50 yards out of transition were looking good so I had some hope.... but then all those bad sucky symptoms came back again... I was back to jogging and walking...
Post race
Warm down:

I very uncomfortable and felt like I needed to just lie down for a while but fought it off and tried to drink water and cool off. I sat in my Expedition with the AC on for about 15 minutes before attempting to drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

At this point I want to harken back (I don't get to use the word harken much) to the morning before the race... I changed my normal routine somewhat. At T-gator #2 I ate a gel that had caffiene in it and felt great... So I extrapelated that alot of caffiene and 2 gel's would be even better.... I don't drink caffiene but race day is special... So I got a Red Bull and two Hammer Gel's which were both a new race day change.... Remind me not to do this ever again.

Even after the race I was feeling pretty bad. On the ride home here are the possible/likely sources of my problems...

- Large dose of caffiene when I'm not used to it.
- Trying new gels and doubling them up instead of just eating one.
- Cold water in my ears? Maybe that was why my hearing was dizzy...I did check my ears for water at the time but they were good to go.
- I did drink a Blue Powerade but I don't think that was the source...
- Maybe I swallowed more Cane River water than I thought.

Event comments:

This is a bare bones race. So as such there is not alot of fan fair afterwards and it wasn't expected. I like the race itself but really am dissapointed with myself.

Last updated: 2005-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:15 | 525 meters | 02m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 74/124
Performance: Average
Suit: BRTri shorts
Course: Point to point but with a slight current against us.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes