General Discussion Race Reports! » Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cazenovia, New York
United States
CNY Triathlon Club
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m 32s
Overall Rank = 13/178
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/25
Pre-race routine:

woke early at the butt crack of before dawn...had done most of the work of getting ready the night before. A little yogurt and chocolate milk to start the day, with the necessary coffee to chase it all down. Tried to wake wifey and kids up...no luck so went out to load the politically incorrect mammoth suv up. As I'm throwing everything in the back I feel something watching me and see something out of the corner of my eye. I turn, thinking it's fluffy the neighborhood cat doing it's business in my yard only to see two extremly large and threatening raccoons walking towards me, not away from me, towards me! Aaagh! jumped higher than Jordan ran into the garage (never once dropping preciously expensive race wheel thank you very much)and shut the door. Armed myself with a broom, bb gun, water pistol and flashlight and headed back out to confront the beasts. They had left, fled into the night laughing all the way. I will have my revenge! Finally got the kids and wifey into the car...thirty minutes late. Needed gas in the gas guzzler of course so that put me further behind. Not a good state of mind to start. Serenity now dammit!
Event warmup:

Does rushing around transition count? Got wet with about five minutes to spare before the start.....no run or bike warm up, oh well.
Swim
  • 28m 32s
  • 1800 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

well folks it was a bit choppy out there today....yes it could have been worse but this was probably some of the toughest conditions I've ever swum in. I'm comfortable in it but boy is it a pain in the rear to swim in. Luckily for me I can breathe on both sides but still got a bit of water in the mouth from time to time. Sometimes on sighting you couldn't even see the buoys. Up and down and up and down...everybody's times were off.
What would you do differently?:

I'm definitely happy with my performance here. I switched to sighting every three strokes and this helped. Told myself to just have good technique and save a few heartbeats for the run.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The timing company added T1 time into swim time so don't really have an accurate picture of each.I remembered from last year that this race features a fairly unique exit of transition...up a stinkin' hill. So this was the first race in a long time where I actually did not clip the shoes in to the pedals beforehand but decided to run in them, up the hill to the road and then jump on the bike. Worked well.

Nada.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Fun day on the bike! Getting blown all over the place, and of course headwinds as you were heading up the hardest hills. I'm not complaining but boy were we ever challenged. Just trying to make yourself really small on the bike, tucking down, knees in, staying loose so when the gusts hit you you didn't overcorrect. I chose not to bomb down killer hill where I hit 50+ last year...stayed conservative and upright. Really thought about some advice from endurance nation that said you there's no such thing as a good bike but bad run. Stayed smooth and waited for T2.

Mix up my infint a little better! I had an infinit plug in my straw so around mile four when I was ready to drink nothing came out! Had to one hand it for a bit and finally was able to blow it out....add that to check list.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

took it easy here due to the layout...mount dismount line is on a downhill coming back. Just unclipped, stopped and hopped off. Took my shoes off at the rack.

get the quick disconnect for the garmin.
Run
  • 45m 15s
  • 6.27 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

felt pretty good on the run, maybe 8/10 with ten being perfect. Hardly any cramping issues, focused on technique. The wind was still with us but what could you do? Was able to close with a 6:45 mile which I was very happy with.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Play with the kids, eat a piece of pizza and drink some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Would have liked some time to warm up.

Event comments:

CNY does a nice job and I'll be back to this one.

Last updated: 2010-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:32 | 1800 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/25
Overall: 19/178
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: rectangle, two laps
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:27 | 24.85 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 19/178
153 average,168 max
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Hilly two looper, 2000 ft + of gains and losses in altitude
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:15 | 06.27 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/25
Overall: 30/178
Performance: Good
153 avg...170's high
Course: fairly hilly route that took you away from town on a country road, tried to run down the middle to avoid the crowning effect.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes