General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weight loss question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-17 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
Romeoville, IL
Subject: weight loss question
hey everyone,
what is your experience with initial weight loss when beginning tri training? I have been training for about 4 weeks now, 8-9 workouts/week (3 of each). I started with 15 min. of running, now I'm at 20; I swim for ~45min-1hr (1300-1800 yds), I started on the bike at 30 min and now am up to 40 at about a 15mph pace. I feel fantastic, although somewhat tired after the second workout of a "double day", and there are muscles that I haven't seen since highschool popping out all over my legs and arms and back. I eat a really healthy diet, hinging mostly on getting 5-7 fruits and veggies/day (I find that I don't have a lot of room left after that!) and have been focusing on staying really hydrated,moreso than before. Here's the problem- since I started tri training, the # on the scale has not changed. The optimist in me wants to say this is because of muscle gain... I do notice that my pants are looser, and my husband says my butt is smaller, but I would really like the scale to confirm! Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am about 20 lbs heavier than I would like to be.
Katie

2004-04-17 11:29 AM
in reply to: #19034

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Subject: RE: weight loss question
Katie,
It sounds like you are experiencing the old "muscle weighs more than fat" experience. A more satisfying and accurate way to watch your body change would be a body fat change or the body mass indicator (which puts a number on the ratio of body fat to lean body mass). Huzzah for your commitment and the strength increase! If you feel great and your pants fit more loosely that's probably a more realistic indicator of how you are doing than your body weight. Keep up the good work! :-)
Vanessa
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weight loss question Rss Feed