Sun Multisport Events
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 18s
Overall Rank = 58/316
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/31
Pre-race routine:

A small protein,frozen yogurt and peanut butter shake. Something to fill me up a little. Got to the race early. Found my transition spot and set up.
Event warmup:

Jogged a little but didnt get to swim as they closed it early. I didn't want to be rushed at all so I didn't take the bike out or anything like that.
Swim
  • 07m 33s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decided to start in the front as I figured most of the road races I have done I start with friends towards the middle. I end up having to weave through people so didn't want to do that on the swim. I did start to the right though as I wanted a clean lane. I didnt get passed and finished in the top of the grouping.
What would you do differently?:

Work on my cardio for the swim. If I could have kept going at my first 100m pace I would have been good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Practiced the flying mount but decided against it since I had road shoes with 3 straps. I didn't want to be that guy swerving down the road so I just clipped in. Pretty steep hill to get bike up to the mount line. Very happy with putting helmet on and getting the suit off in one motion, no hands on the suit. Used a lot of Mission Anti-Friction cream.

Tri bike Shoes. Also pick a stationary object to find your bike stand. Myself and others used a recyclable bin that was directly out from our row. Well it was moved along with the 3 others once the race started.
Bike
  • 43m 40s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Passed a lot of people on the bike. Felt really good the whole race. Only got passed by the whirring disks. Allowed me to watch their cadence and to follow their gears. Helped a lot staying in the big ring.

Could have rode harder. Wasn't sure how my legs would do on the run so stayed fast but comfortable.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Felt great jumping off bike and running with it. Shoes still attached to bike.

Again mark the bike rack with something fixed. A little confused since I was looking for the trash bin that was in front of the rack.
Run
  • 21m 40s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good. Started to tire mentally after the first mile. Passed a lot on the run as well. Kept a short stride fast cadence which really helped. Also beat my 5k road race time by a minute. Don't know how after already doing the swim and bike.

Not much, maybe a little faster at the end but I was pretty happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, had some fruit and water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Vo2. I was breathing heavy from the start of the swim till the end of the run. If I can increase my threshold I could have pushed harder. Also not knowing how my body would handle the stress of the race kept me back a little.

Event comments:

Best since it was my firs. However the race organizers and volunteers were excellent.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:33 | 440 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/316
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 F/J
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:40 | 14 miles | 19.24 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Rollin Hills with two long hills in the last couple miles. Plus a last short steep hill that brought you into the grounds of the hospital.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:40 | 03.1 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Course: Uneven path the first mile or so, gentle grade then widening to a dirt trail till mile 2. Last mile all road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-16 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Holden, Ma
Subject: Westborough Sprint Triathlon

2010-08-16 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3045938

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Westborough Sprint Triathlon
WOW!!!Congrats on a  great first race!!!! Now that you are hooked ...whats next?
2010-08-17 4:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Holden, Ma

Pretty bummed I waited this long to try a tri. My friends are doing the Douglas Tri Sept 18 weekend. I will be in NY doing an adventure 5k, The Warrior Dash. http://www.warriordash.com/register2010_northeast.php  The next weekend after that I am doing the Greenway Challenge. http://www.greenwaychallenge.org/. Approx 60 mile relay race. Actually goes through Uxbridge. If I can get into another tri I will do it in a second. Can't wait to train for next year as I really want to do an OLY and a HIM. Problem is all my friends think I am nuts and no one wants to train.

2010-08-20 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3046830

cool pics! did you pull these from the race photographer or did you have a friend take them?
2010-08-21 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Holden, Ma
Wife took the pics for me.  I made an album with the full size pics under my album. The race report ones are too small to see very well. Hope one of the professional ones comes out ok. Usually during races I am concentrating to hard to look up and or smile at the photogs.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westborough Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed