General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runners Knee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-18 7:24 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado
Subject: Runners Knee
After 30 years + of running I think I have my first case of runners knee? I have had ITB problems in the past which hurts the outer side of my knee, but this is the inside of the knee below the kneecap. It is painful enough right now that I have not run in a week and am doing the ice and advil routine. I have done some light cycling and swimming, but have Pikes Peak Marathon in 5 weeks. My question is if I tough it out and run on it will it get worse or is it an on or off type of training injury? Can I do damage to my knee if I tough it out? Will wrapping it in an ace bandage do any good? Is this an age thing or overtraining (I haven't really increased mileage dramatically) problem I did recently swap out running shoes, but same brand/size as in the past?

2005-07-19 3:29 PM
in reply to: #201679

User image

Regular
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Runners Knee
Howdy there,
I am going throught he exact asme thing at the moment. My pain is also right below the kneecap. I have been doing much research on this to figure out what the effects are of training on it and how to treat it. What I found was that if you do train on it you can create scar tissue and that will hurt it more. Also a test i saw spoke of if you can hear creaking in your kneecap" it could be from lack of lubrication or lack of cartilage. I am not a doctor and i am not positive about this, but its what i am basing my treatment off of right now. I find that aleve is the best for me (naproxin sodium) and a nice soak of the legs in a cold bath does the trick. Ide say keep icing and stretch it as much as possible. Also go to a sports doctor to make sure its not something developed from years of running. Good luck
-dan
2005-07-19 11:48 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-07-20 1:44 AM

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Runners Knee
If it's below the knee, are you sure it's not tendinitis? Poke your patellar tendon and see if it hurts.

Anyway, tendinitis will definitely get worse if you don't stop running. But I think the general rule is that if it doesn't hurt bad enough to make you change the way you run, then you're fine (sort of). If the pain makes you change your form, then it's time to lay off.

Maybe you can start an extra long taper to give it some rest and still have enough fitness for the marathon
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runners Knee Rss Feed