General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for a runner - shorter strides prevent injury? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-17 7:39 AM

Subject: Question for a runner - shorter strides prevent injury?
I am finishing a bout with plantar fasciitis and some other running related problems that put a dent in my tri season and was curious if shorter, quicker strides while running cause less impact and prevent injury.  I'm more of a swimmer/cyclist and am not as sharp on technical running.  Any thoughts are much appreciated. 

2010-08-17 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3047526

User image

Subject: RE: Question for a runner - shorter strides prevent injury?
I don't know if shorter is necessarily better, but landing with your foot under your center of gravity and extending to the rear should help. To learn how to land with your foot centered, start jogging in place, then slowly, very slowly start moving forward continuing to land the same way. It will feel shorter at first, but once you learn to extend behind you, your speed will come back.

Also I would question your shoes. If you are relying on supportive shoes and the support is breaking down the pain could be a result of your foot adapting to additional stresses. Make sure your shoes are in good shape.

I also find that regularly using the stick on my calves helps with any tightness in my lower legs.

Just my opinion - so take it for what it's worth.
2010-08-17 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
I'd say so, but at this point its all speculative.
2010-08-17 9:20 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I agree that rather than trying to shorten your stride making sure you're not landing with your foot out in front of you is important.  If you think about it when you do that you put on the breaks with every landing and send all of that impact jarring up your leg.  And shoes are very, very important. 
2010-08-17 2:09 PM

Thank you very much for the help.  I'll try that out. 
2010-08-17 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee
It is pretty much accepted in the running arena that shorter strides/faster turnover reduces injury. I am a tall guy and have found that shortening my stride has resulted in a more efficient run=better times.

You can do a search at Runners World online and find some more info I am sure.

2010-08-17 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
If you are currently overstriding (which is very common, so you very well could be) then yes, shorten your stride and as another poster said, get the strike under your center of gravity.  When you want to go faster, lengthen your stride out the back, not by 'reaching' further forward with your striking foot.

If you already run with good form, then I see little reason to change.  Once the PF is cleared up, reintroduce running conservatively, and increase volume slowly.

My 2c.
2010-08-17 2:50 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
neiderer - 2010-08-17 5:39 AM I am finishing a bout with plantar fasciitis and some other running related problems that put a dent in my tri season and was curious if shorter, quicker strides while running cause less impact and prevent injury.  I'm more of a swimmer/cyclist and am not as sharp on technical running.  Any thoughts are much appreciated. 

Have you read Chirunning?  For quite some time I have struggled with PF, and after getting tired of not being able to run, I got off my butt and decided to read-up on running form.  After reading Chirunning, I discovered that everything was wrong with my gait, not just my heel strike issue. There are also other methods to learning the midfoot strike besides Chirunning.  With that said, I am pleased with the changes in my running form so far.  If you have a minute, check out my logs.  I've  been tracking my PF recovery, and my reintroduction to running.  I just started back running last week while employing the changes to my posture, gait, etc.  I am taking it slow - so, only 3 miles so far. 
2010-08-17 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
x2 on the shorter stride, it changed my running a lot. I also find that leaning slightly forward feels more comfortable. Dont know about the injury prevention though, never been injured (touch wood)
2010-08-17 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3048730

User image

kocourek - 2010-08-17 3:23 PM

x2 on the shorter stride, it changed my running a lot. I also find that leaning slightly forward feels more comfortable. Dont know about the injury prevention though, never been injured (touch wood)

It is important to note leaning forward needs to be done from the ankles, not the waist. Some people read lean forward and lean from the waist, this leads to poor posture and form and makes it more difficult to breath.
2010-08-17 3:31 PM

Regular
Babylon
You really would benefit from someone looking at your stride to make the determination.  However, it is more of a mid-foot strike at a higher cadence.  Basically pull your foot up as soon as it hits the ground and the foot should land under your hips.

read up on pose method of running. 

2010-08-17 4:26 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I have been on a running related injury roller coaster for the past three years. It starts with shorter strides becoming longer as my speed and strength increases. Then the overuse/over reach injury usually achilles or calf area. Stride shortens as a go through rehab and rebuilding mileage. Stride lengthens again as speed and strength increases. Next round of injury. Repeat about every three or four months. This time I'm focusing on staying in the shorter stride mode.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for a runner - shorter strides prevent injury? Rss Feed