General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Stevens, Washington
United States
WTC (World Triathlon Corporation) (Ironman 70.3)
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 19m 48s
Overall Rank = 966/1114
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 146/157
Pre-race routine:

This was the race I had set my eyes on last October and wanted to have as my panicle race of the year. When I had signed up I was 205lbs and 9 months off of major knee surgery that had me laid up for 6 months and was after my ruptured Achilles 8 months before that. Needless to say when I started the journey to this event I knew I had a lot of work to do. Running 1 mile was tough so doing a 70.3 Tri was going to be rough. I trained and completed a couple other 70.3 events but still wanted Lake Stevens to be my biggest event. Now close to 35lbs lighter and able to do tri's this is how things went.:)

I took the whole weekend off from work and just wanted to enjoy the whole experience.

Friday I took my son out for some breakfast and then made the drive to Everett for the prerace stuff. My son was very please he got the IM stamp on his had and I was equally as happy I had the stamp, yes I was that stoked about this race.

Saturday I took my wife with me to drop the bike and look around. I got my bearings in transition and felt good about the next morning.

Sunday I work up or should say I just got out of bed. The night before was very hot and I did not sleep very well. Part heat and part nerves. I got up and got dressed, had my beagle with PB and a banana. Then grabbed my drinks for the car ride and my race drinks loaded them all up and went on my way.

Event warmup:

My warm up was filled with trying to get my tri suit to zip up. My zipper got stuck and broke half way up my suit. I could not get it up or down. This was rough. I was a ball of nerves already and did not need something going wrong at that point. But it was what it was and I had to live with it. Just felt odd to be the chest showing guy even before the race started. UGGGG. Note to self bring two outfits.
Swim
  • 1h 00m 16s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming is my downfall. I am getting better at swimming but my time is not getting better. I did start in the back and off to the side. I wanted to stay out of peoples way as they came up behind me. The first leg out to the first turn seemed very long for some reason. I then was able to get into a freestyle swim and go, not fast but I could go. Swim a bit slow down and go again. I was doing well until I could see something under the water and could not figure out what it was. The freaked me out a bit and I could not catch my breath. I did slow my mind down a bit and got back to the swim. I was out in what felt like a ok time for me but turns out it was the same as other races so even know I did do more freestyle swimming I did not get faster. No big to me I finished it.
What would you do differently?:

Just need to work on swimming more. Speed and form will come in time, just have to work at it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

T1 felt good and fast, but my time was slow. All things went on fast and off fast, so I had no problems.

Work more on being quicker.
Bike
  • 3h 17m 39s
  • 58 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

After a slow swim I knew I needed to pick up the pace on the bike a little. Lap 1 felt real good. I was drinking good and felt real strong on the bike. Lap 2 came along and my legs began to hurt a bit. No more than normal so I worked through it and continued the ride. I hit a portion where I was riding and was in comfort mode and not testing my ability very good. I picket up the pace and figured I would begin to save energy on the turn back to town. I did that and the turn back to town was a bit longer and harder than I remembered in the drive, so slowing down to save energy did not work much and hindered my ability to rock this portion. I did not mind the hills much. I was slower on them but not to as slow as I was in Chelan. I felt this ride was easier than Chelan, but both are hilly. Over all I was ok with my bike. I wanted it in 3 hours and came in at 3:17 so a little slower but pushing harder would have helped.

Work a bit harder on whole bike ride.
Transition 2
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

T2 seemed ok. I was off bike and to my spot, bike shoes off and running shoes on no problems. However someone took my GU packs, so I was bummed out a bit.

Not much, just try and be faster and maybe hide my GU packs.
Run
  • 2h 55m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

AAAAAA the run. Got out on the run and my aunt was there with her husband cheering for me. I was not expecting anyone to be there so that was a great boost. I ran a bit then needed to walk. Then the mojo went away. Legs began to cramp along with back, followed by the knee giving out. This had never happened in training or other races so I was unsure what was going on. I then devised my plan to run and walk and just finish the race. The run seemed all uphill and some flats with one down hill all in the sun. The cramps in my legs began to only hurt if I was walking so a light jog was my option at this point. I just kept moving forward. At about mile nine I had to stop for a second and my head felt dizzy and I did the old 2 steps to the left followed by 2 to the right. I got my bearing together and went on my way. Thank you to all the volunteers who were out there calling us by name and cheering us on. All the stations were great. I made it to the end still jogging and did not have enough in me to kick it in but for one second all the cramps and heat went away as I accomplished my goal. My aunt and her husband missed me finishing because I was so slow they did not know when I was going to be there, so they just missed me. I don’t blame them they waited a long time for me to come back.

just run.Not sure why my body gave out other than heat. I drank plenty going into the race for days and my diet was good. Just was not my run day I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a little and packed up my stuff.

Event comments:

Great race. I would do it again. The next goal is IMCD next year, so I need to get better after I take a break. Good luck everyone and nice race.

Last updated: 2010-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:00:16 | 2112 yards | 02m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/157
Overall: 0/1114
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: