General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
Multisport Canada
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 03m 33s
Overall Rank = 242/427
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Overall rankings include men.

Had 1/2 a muffin and iced coffee during drive downtown. Paid $20 for parking for the lot across the ferry. 10' lineup to get bib and ferry ticket and boarded the ferry 2hr before my race. Lots of time to pick up my kit, rack my bike and go the washroom.

It's so much less stressful when you're early.
Event warmup:

25m swim in Lake Ont, very choppy and felt I was tossed around quite a bit.
Swim
  • 20m 17s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was very choppy. I was hoping to get some choppy waters during my OWS practices, but they were always calm so I know this would be a tough swim.

Water was very shallow the first 50m and I walked. I think I'm faster walking than swimming. As soon as I put my head in the water, I started to hyperventilate. The waves were tossing me up and down. I tried to stay calm and really overrotate to breathe. That helped a lot. And because I walked a bit, I passed the first orange buoy quite quickly. That gave me confidence that I could make it and I would not DNF like I did at Cobourg in 2007.

The last 200m I must have swam really offcourse. The waves were really strong, and I underestimated how much it was pushing me offline so I zigzagged quite a bit.

After the swim, there was a 200m run, over the bridge to the transition area. Swim time includes this run. By my watch, my swim was 18', 2:24. I could have been 1' faster if I kept my line the last third. But I'm pleased I made it through the rough waters, unlike Cobourg.
What would you do differently?:

Don't swim offline, sight more frequently when waves are strong.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Got disoriented and couldn't find my bike. As usual, wetsuit got stuck a bit to the left heel.
Bike
  • 54m 45s
  • 30 kms
  • 32.88 km/hr
Comments:

I really pushed it on the bike 'cos I want to set a PB. Passed a ton of people. Bike time includes run to and from mount / dismount line. Per my Garmin, I did over 33kph, a PB. First time I didn't take the wrong turn on this course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Uneventful, unlike T1
Run
  • 44m 44s
  • 4.66 miles
  • 09m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I passed 2 people in my AG the first 100m, but 1 of them passed me right back within 500m. I pushed too hard on the bike and was really suffering on the run. When I took a quick glance at the Garmin, HR was 170! I don't think I've seen my HR so high ever. My hamstrings and calves were both starting to tighten and cramp. At the turnaround, Susan told me there were a couple of people in my AG just ahead of me. But I was dying, couldn't run any faster, and just hanging in so nobody would pass me. I also had to stop twice to tie my speed laces! I've never had to do that, so that's my excuse for not having a faster time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Stayed for the awards.

Event comments:

2nd time this year that both Susan and I were 3rd in our AG according to results posted. 2nd time this year that I'm actually 4th even though the results said 3rd because the 3rd place finisher was not entered into the computer correctly! I gave the real 3rd place finisher the medal and she felt bad taking it from me, but I told her she's the rightful owner, and she is. 1st place is only 2.5' faster. I could have placed better with a better swim and T1, and if I didn't have to stop twice to tie my shoelaces. So I'm making lots of excuses.

In any case, 1st AG on the bike makes me VERY HAPPY! And I'm pleased that I survived the swim (unlike Cobourg in 2007), even though the time was slow and I zigzagged quite a bit the last 3rd of the swim.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:17 | 750 meters | 02m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 349/427
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca sleeveless
Course: Lake Ontario swim. Triangular course off Hanlan's Point.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:27
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:45 | 30 kms | 32.88 km/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 133/427
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loops, flat and fast on the island, except for turnarounds.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:44 | 04.66 miles | 09m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 259/427
Course: 2 loops, along park roads and trail, some grassy and sandy parts.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-17 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-08-19 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3048451

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Woo hoo P!!! Awesome race and congrats on the PB on the bike!  Your swim was good too!  I'd be happy to swim that time WITH chop!  Enough about Cobourg though - you are freaking me out!!! Surprised
2010-08-19 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3048451

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job! You killed the bike!  And I am totally with you on the swim, only I got to practice in some chop which makes a HUGE difference.  You are so great for giving your medal to the 'rightful' person - you are so what the sport is all about! :D
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed