Xterra
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 27s
Overall Rank = 27/100+
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Drove 2:45 hours to get to Hanover from Maine. Shortly after arriving I checked in and pitched my tent. During the process of pitching my tent I met a fellow tenter and we decided to pre-ride one loop of the course. I set my GPS to track the ride and it read 1000ft of climbing when we were done.
Slept really bad like usual. I went to bed around 10pm and was up from 1am to 4ish listening to just about every noise you can imagine. Got up, ate a bagel with honey and peanut butter, one apple sauce, one banana and sipped some water.
Event warmup:

Nothing for a warmup. You were not allowed to wear a wetsuit so I didn't even want to go in the water until after the gun went off. Had a gel 30 minutes before the swim.
Swim
  • 23m 53s
  • 1400 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went so much better than expected. Although I only logged 6 hours of swimming since last July I somehow managed to come out of the water around 17th. I was pushing around 85% of my max during the swim and was trying to drafting different people as much as possible. I wasn't going to do any Tris this year which is why I had such low swim volume.
What would you do differently?:

Try to swim at least once a weak throughout the summer. Also try to swim and or surf a little bit in the off season.
Transition 1
  • 06m
Comments:

There's just a lot to do in an Xterra transition. You have gloves, camelbak and the rest of your normal riding gear. Transition was in two parts. You came out of the water and ran 30yards to get your transition shoes on. You then ran through a campground to a very steep hill where your second transition was waiting.

I think I would try to run up the hill in my bare feet.
Bike
  • 1h 26m
  • 11.5 miles
  • 8.02 mile/hr
Comments:

If I do this course next year I will do so much hill work it will make ME sick! I will bet everyone on that course said "man I wish I did more hills"
Take away the shear climbing and I thought the course was awesome. I wish I trails like that around my house.
side note: The guys that did this course in under 1:10 are super human!
One guy did the course in 1:01..... get a life buddy :) I'm surprised he didn't break his chain with that kind of power.

I felt I held my own through the technical stuff and the downhilling so all I can do differently is ride more.

Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Not much to say... everything went as planned.

nothing
Run
  • 44m 23s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

The hills were so steep that you ran up them up on your toes push hard with your quads. I started cramping around the second hill and it just kept getting worse. Most of my cramps were at the bottom of my thigh in the VMO and lateral side of the leg. every time I went to stretch them by lifting my foot to my butt, my hamstring would cramp. I ended up walking a few yards of each major hill but would almost sprint down the other side.
The funny thing is that the hills were so steep that I would almost keep up with the guys running while I was walking. Because of this, i did not lose too much time.

I'm going to try the sodium/potassium pills. I'm also going to try and drink more on the ride.
Post race
Warm down:

Went straight to the beer tent and knocked down a cold one.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps, cramps and more cramps

Event comments:

Leg cramps aside, this is a really fun race. Yes it has a lot of hills but the course is really nice. The race continues to grow in popularity so if you have a mountain bike give it a try. Next year I'm going to try talking my wife into doing the short course, my son into doing the kids race and I will do the Xterra distance.
I came in 4th in my age group but got a third place award. The guy who came in 2nd overall was in my age group and you can't double dip.

Last updated: 2010-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:53 | 1400 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 0/100+
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: out straight and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 06:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:26:00 | 11.5 miles | 8.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 0/100+
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The bike course was the hardest hill climbing course I've ever done. The fist 1.25 miles you climb over 400ft and after that you are rewarded with 1600 more feet of climbing. Each 5.5 mile loop was 1000ft of climbing with a mixture of fast single track and some very technical single track. I thought the trails themselves were very clean and fast. It hasn't rained much this summer so there was no mud at all. My bike was covered in dust at the end of the ride.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good