Quezon City,
Philippines
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m
Overall Rank = 29/73
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

MY FIRST TRIATHLON - SPRINT 750m/20k/5k.

Arrived at 5:30AM for the fun run. Watched the start and finish of 5/10k run. Setup the transition area. I accidentally pushed the sponge thing in my aerobar bottle down to the bottom of the bottle, a mistake which later proved to be costly.

I had pre-race jitters, somewhat nervous. Tried to remain calm.
Event warmup:

Got in the pool, swam a couple slow laps. It was a good 30 minutes before the race would get started.
Swim
  • 18m 44s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

First wave was women's. Second wave was men's numbered 1-30, I was part of this wave. The starter prompted us to get into the pool. Everyone but me jumped in, I looked on not too keen on joining the 30 people squeezed into a single lane especially since it's at the deep-end. It didn't look safe. Starter counts down, ready, set, GO! I'm still standing there while the rest were off. Finally, room for me to jump in and I do. Almost immediately I swim into someone. I move to pass, strokes are fast, frantic and tense, I swallowed enough water to keep me hydrated until at least the middle of the bike portion. Particularly cool was squeezing in between two swimmers to pass. Lost quite a bit of time during the turns at the wall as I didn't practice going under the rope and back, in fact at one point, I pass a breaststroker only to reach the end of the pool on the wrong side; he, being closer to the rope, was able to overtake me under the rope and back.
What would you do differently?:

Start mid-pack, practice turns, relax in the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Not sure, but I think T1 time is included in the swim split. It was a long run to T1, maybe 200m but downhill. Wore my socks and shoes from the pool (an option given to us), foregoing bikeshoes and clipless pedals, not that I had much choice as I hadn't learned how to ride with them yet. Forgot to put on my sunglasses, left them hanging on the aerobars. They fell off somewhere... Some lucky person picked them up I'm sure. The sponge thing in the aerobar bottle... well, let me just say, as soon as I unracked the bike, half of the bottle's contents (sticky mix of Gatorade and water) was on me and my bike. Perfect!

Be more mindful. Practice transitions.
Bike
  • 47m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty good coming from the swim. Took a deep breath before mounting the bike. Downhill immediately and I think, "wow, this ain't that hard." I'm flying in aero position. Wondering exactly how fast I was going, I look down at my computer, alas nothing on the display. Turns out the sensor was not aligned with the magnets, must've moved during the transport or set-up.

I pass a few people during the first 3-4 laps. Then it begins to hit me, I'm not sure what "it" is, but "it" was not fun. The people I pass end up passing me. How embarrassing especially after I'd yelled out "on your left" as if I was a speeding freight train a couple laps back.

The uphill while at first appeared to be nothing more than slight gradient, now seemed like an interminable ascent up a mountain. Man, I was really moving slow up that stretch.

To make matters worse, the clasp on my watch gets undone and I spend two laps trying to fix it.

On my sixth lap, I lost count of the laps thanks to my computer malfunctioning. I stop and ask the marshalls but of course they don't know. Fudge. It retrace the race and guess that it was my 6th lap so I do two more. It turns out to be the right guess.

Train more, a lot more. Prior to this race my longest ride was 12km on a bike trainer no less. Drink water (I completely forgot to drink water, drinking only gatorade from the bottle mounted on my aerobar).
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Nothing eventful here, I had my runners on already so all I had to do was remove my helmet, wipe the sweat off my face with a towel, and put on a hat. Off I went.

There was nothing else I could've done.
Run
  • 30m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I just plain suck at running. That's all there is to it. There was an abundance of drink stations but no water just energy drinks. I found out too sweet, to be more accurate, my top found it too sweet and sticky - I got more it on me than in my mouth. Anyone I passed on the bike leg returned the favor on the run. 500m left and I slow down even more to catch my breath so that I can at least run through the finish line as if I'd run the entire race comfortably (the crowd doesn't know that a few hundred meters back, my face was contorted from exhaustion). I finish the 5k at 30:40. This seemed odd because it's a PR for me (in training or in a standalone race)!! Methinks the course is short.

Train more. Log more mileage and start doing intervals/speedwork.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run, inexperience with the swim, lack of training with the bike.

Event comments:

Turns out I won in the law student category but it also turns out that I was the only one in the category. Got a medal, umbrella, coffee, a special singlet for it, too bad I didn't stick around for the awarding, I wasn't expecting that. A job well done for the organizers, congrats to them and the volunteers.

Thanks Cha and Roland for the support, they took care of my stuff, took some photos, kept me calm, and cheered.

Last updated: 2010-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:44 | 820 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 22/73
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 3 x 5x50m. Snake over 5 lanes, get out at the end, run back to the start, repeat two more times.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:36 | 12.43 miles | 15.67 mile/hr
Overall: 14/73
Wind: Little
Course: 8x around a 2.5km loop, half downhill, half uphill, no less than 8 speed bumps, not the smoothest of roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:40 | 03.11 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 54/73
Course: A loop around the campus, first km was downhill, it seemed like the rest was uphill and not much trees to shade the runners.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes