Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dr. Laura fails to understand the meaning of the First Amendment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-08-19 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3052226

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: Dr. Laura fails to understand the meaning of the First Amendment
trinnas - 2010-08-19 10:18 AM
gearboy - 2010-08-19 10:16 AM
TriRSquared - 2010-08-19 9:28 AM
I (and I think a lot of others) don't see it as arguing.  I see it as debate.  I grew up in a family where most outsiders would think we hated each other.  Quite the contrary, we just all enjoy a good spirited debate and at the end of the day we know we still all love each other despite our differences of opinion.

Kind of like here on BT.

GROUP HUG!

Keep your arms off me, you dirty hippie!

Come on you know you want a group hug from triR^2 and me.  Give it up shrink man. 

Sounds like some repressed issues there GearBoy.  Have a seat on this couch..

2010-08-19 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3052397

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2010-08-19 11:13 AM

TriRSquared - 2010-08-18 2:57 PM 1.  She's an idiot
2.  She doesn't know what "free speech" means.
3.  She's an idiot.
4.  I dislike her intensely (she's so condescending) but I do not see the big deal on this one.  If you listen to what was said (I heard a reply).  She used the word as a description of what she hears in rap music and in movies with blacks.  She was not calling anyone the N-word...

Full audio below....http://voices.washingtonpost.com/livecoverage/2010/08/dr_laura_schlessinger_apologiz.html

God, it's hard to even listen to her, but really this is a non-issue.

Holy crap!

We agree completely on something! I could have written this post verbatim!

See.  I'm not 100% evil
2010-08-19 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3052661

Extreme Veteran

This is the kind of attitude that will never help change the situation.  "This is the way it is, sorry."  It may never be perfect, but over time it can get a lot better.  I'm not saying its right or fair, but black people are slaves, have to use separate bathrooms, can't vote...  Things are getting better.  Saying life isn't fair is just an easy way out of having to do something about it.

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. I personally don't see how white people being outraged that they can't say the word because blacks can is ever going to lead to any progress either. Or how whites being outraged that blacks say it to each other is going to make it any better, so different strokes I guess.

I make choices in life regarding areas that I can affect, and I have affected many things positively. I have chosen to take a "Such is life" attitude for this issue and am not going to bear the torch for this cause, as I feel it is ridiculous. I don't think that gives you the right to say that my attitude is an easy way out.

Edited by WaitingGuilty 2010-08-19 1:16 PM
2010-08-19 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3052826

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

TriRSquared - 2010-08-19 11:56 AM
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2010-08-19 11:13 AM

TriRSquared - 2010-08-18 2:57 PM 1.  She's an idiot
2.  She doesn't know what "free speech" means.
3.  She's an idiot.
4.  I dislike her intensely (she's so condescending) but I do not see the big deal on this one.  If you listen to what was said (I heard a reply).  She used the word as a description of what she hears in rap music and in movies with blacks.  She was not calling anyone the N-word...

Full audio below....http://voices.washingtonpost.com/livecoverage/2010/08/dr_laura_schlessinger_apologiz.html

God, it's hard to even listen to her, but really this is a non-issue.

Holy crap!

We agree completely on something! I could have written this post verbatim!

See.  I'm not 100% evil

When yer right, yer right.

2010-08-19 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3050433

User image

Dr. Laura doesn't only misunderstand the meaning of the First Amendment, she's an idiot.  Funny, there used to be another thread where a bunch of folks argued that the Muslim community in NY had the "right" to build on their land, but it may not be "right" to do so.

This is the same.  Yes, Dr. L has the "right" to use whatever words she wants, but it may not be "right" to do so.  And trying to convince anyone offended by that word (rightfully so, IMO) that there is a double standard about who can use it, and then going about it the way she did, is just stupid.

In other words, r?egardless of how she used it, the point she was trying to make was ridiculous
.  Really, it's not "fair" she gets to use that word?  wtf???p?o?i?n?t? ?s?h?e? ?w?a?s? ?t?r?y?i?n?g? ?t?o? ?m?a?k?e? ?w?a?s? ?r?i?d?i?c?u?l?o?u?s?.
?
???J?u?s?t?

Edited by ChrisM 2010-08-19 1:26 PM
2010-08-19 1:30 PM

User image

Regular
Barrie, Ontario, Canada

I don't think words alone should be considered offensive but rather the context in which they are used.  Dr. L's use of the word  was essentially a quote and used in a non-judgemental why.

Similarly my 6 year old son asked me the other day what the word 'f**k' means.  I didn't run and grab some soap to wash his mouth out.  I told him it can mean a lot of things that aren't nice and he shouldn't be saying it.  End of conversation.

Now Dr. L's opinion on racism is pretty shocking and I strongly dissagree with her and in fact found it offensive. (and I am white).  I only listened once but I think she inferred that since Obama, a black man, was voted by the people as president that racism no longer exists.   That is way off base.

Edit:  the bad word filter removed the 'f' word i typed but didn't remove the 'n' word as you can see above.  hmm

2010-08-19 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3053075

User image

Veteran
Mrdaner - 2010-08-19 1:30 PM

Now Dr. L's opinion on racism is pretty shocking and I strongly dissagree with her and in fact found it offensive. (and I am white).  I only listened once but I think she inferred that since Obama, a black man, was voted by the people as president that racism no longer exists.   That is way off base.

Edit:  the bad word filter removed the 'f' word i typed but didn't remove the 'n' word as you can see above.  hmm

No, she was reacting to a comment by the caller...

SCHLESSINGER: My dear, my dear …

CALLER: … since Obama’s been in office …

SCHLESSINGER: … the point I’m trying to make …

CALLER: … racism has come to another level that’s unacceptable.

SCHLESSINGER: Yeah. We’ve got a black man as president, and we have more complaining about racism than ever. I mean, I think that’s hilarious.

CALLER: But I think, honestly, ’cause there’s more white people afraid of a black man taking over the nation.

SCHLESSINGER: They’re afraid.

CALLER: If you want to be honest about it …

SCHLESSINGER: Dear, they voted him in. Only 12 percent of the population’s black. Whites voted him in.

This entire episode is like Alice in Wonderland.  The caller makes a statement that is reacted to and the person reacting is branded a racist for things she doesn't even say.

There is a quick clue that is not always accurate, but often is.  When someone is accused of saying something horrible and the people complaining to not give you the full statement, in context, there might be a bit of manipulation going on.

I could care less about Dr. Laura.  There are many reasons to avoid her show, chief among them are her rants, lack of education in counseling and the way she jumps to conclusions.  This episode however, is an absolute joke.

2010-08-19 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3053065

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
ChrisM - 2010-08-19 2:24 PM Dr. Laura doesn't only misunderstand the meaning of the First Amendment, she's an idiot.  Funny, there used to be another thread where a bunch of folks argued that the Muslim community in NY had the "right" to build on their land, but it may not be "right" to do so.

This is the same.  Yes, Dr. L has the "right" to use whatever words she wants, but it may not be "right" to do so.  And trying to convince anyone offended by that word (rightfully so, IMO) that there is a double standard about who can use it, and then going about it the way she did, is just stupid.

In other words, r?egardless of how she used it, the point she was trying to make was ridiculous
.  Really, it's not "fair" she gets to use that word?  wtf???p?o?i?n?t? ?s?h?e? ?w?a?s? ?t?r?y?i?n?g? ?t?o? ?m?a?k?e? ?w?a?s? ?r?i?d?i?c?u?l?o?u?s?.
?
???J?u?s?t?

Used to be.  Dang it! Alright... who got it pulled?
2010-08-19 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3053227

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
TriRSquared - 2010-08-19 3:33 PM
ChrisM - 2010-08-19 2:24 PM Dr. Laura doesn't only misunderstand the meaning of the First Amendment, she's an idiot.  Funny, there used to be another thread where a bunch of folks argued that the Muslim community in NY had the "right" to build on their land, but it may not be "right" to do so.

?
???J?u?s?t?

Used to be.  Dang it! Alright... who got it pulled?

I think it was Mrbbrad's insensitive Santa post. 
2010-08-20 10:41 AM

User image

Master
in an effort to relate everything to NBC comedies, here's the clip i was looking for.

http://www.tbs.com/video/index.jsp?oid=124282

if dr.laura had attended "diversity day" at dunder mifflin, none of this would have happened.

2010-08-20 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

This was on NPR this morning. An interestng take on the whole situation.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129317120

2010-08-20 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3050490

Master
Memphis, TN
dgunthert - 2010-08-18 12:07 PM She was always able to use her first amendment rights. Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from consequences.

Agreed. This idea that the first amendment allows you to speak with impunity from consequences is not what the founding fathers were talking about.  They said that you could say pretty much anything and not be arrested for it but you boss might fire you.  That is what happened here.  I think she was baited into this and she fell for it hook, line and sinker but this isn't a constitutional case it's a case about being a poor broadcaster and not falling into a trap laid out by a caller on your show. 
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dr. Laura fails to understand the meaning of the First Amendment Rss Feed  

of 3