United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 54s
Overall Rank = 110/408
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/20
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at Hampton Inn just off 694. Honey Nut Cheerios and banana. We were about 10 min away from site and parked at one of the church lots
Event warmup:

Short bike, run and swim. Some of my buttons are wearing off on my Garmin so I was going to use Barb's but the cadence sensor wasn't working, multiple modules so I switched back to mine. I forgot I had Barb's HR strap and didn't re-synch so I had cadence on the bike but no HR. Swim exit was very gooey, sinking up to knees.
Swim
  • 19m 30s
  • 1089 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Non-wetsuit, time trial swim. With the squishy bottom you were basically pulling yourself along the bottom at the start. I felt I swam ok but I think the course was short of measured distance, I probably did not swim a 1:47 pace. Disappointed with my AG and overall placing.
What would you do differently?:

I need to remember to pull strong the whole race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

We could bike in transition because there was a hill coming out of transition. My rack was right by the bike out/in so not much af an issue for me. I clipped left foot in and went up the hill and then clipped in right foot.

6th in AG +22
Bike
  • 56m 32s
  • 21.5 miles
  • 22.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Flat course. Pretty smooth except for one short stretch. It seems my race cadence was higher than normal but I did not check recent races. I definitely felt comfortable in the mid 90 range. I went back and forth with #12 probably 5-6 times in the last half of the race. This was my fastest MPH in a race so far.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I did put on socks, a little slow on the right foot.

8th in AG +22

My T1 & T2 times are not as good my last few races as they have been. I was typically in top 3-4. I did make a point to not over rush at Chisago but still was not up to standards here.
Run
  • 35m 42s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I forgot the Garmin wrist band but was going to carry the Garmin and see if I could get pace. I had some issues with Garmin moving to run and due to issues with the buttons I just put it in my pocket. I really missed not seeing my pace. I felt I went pretty hard for the 1st 3 miles, backed off just a tad in mile 4 and then pushed mile 5.

After getting back from BWCA, I felt I had lost some fitness, especially on the run. I still felt I should have been able to go under a 7:00 pace on the run. Maybe if I knew I was a little off I could have pushed it a little more. I definitely prefer having the Garmin input.
Post race
Warm down:

Spray hose just past finish line. Grabbed food and drink and found Barb. I talked to all of the TriRochester folks I had seen pre-race - Andy B, Brian D, Kathy B, Bill K.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really did not feel quite up to speed with my training post BWCA trip, another week would have helped. I had about 10 days and a slight taper. Not happy with swim place, happy with bike speed but would have liked a better place, ok run time but was hoping for sub 35. I was 4:23 from 5th place in AG so minor improvements would not have changed AG place. Top 3 in AG were 50 50 51 so I guess it's going to be harder as I get to back end of AG.

Event comments:

First time at Turtleman. I would do it again. Swim venue has almost always had issues from what I heard but at least this year the swim went from 1.5K to 1K so more in line with bike/run distances.

Last updated: 2010-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:30 | 1089 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/20
Overall: 294/408
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:32 | 21.5 miles | 22.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/20
Overall: 103/408
Performance: Good
Avg MPH - 22.8 Max MPH - 30.3 No HR data
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 96
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:42 | 05 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 65/408
Performance: Average
Garmin did not work coming out of T2 and with button issue I could not get a run started.
Course: A big square, pretty flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-18 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: Turtleman Triathlon

2010-08-19 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3050965

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Turtleman Triathlon

Great job!  Especially if you weren't feeling 100% into the swing of things after your trip.   It's the first time that Turtleman's gone without a hitch in the last several years at least, so you picked a good year to try it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turtleman Triathlon Rss Feed