General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
Multisport Canada
25C / 77F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 05m 11s
Overall Rank = 256/424
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 22/40
Pre-race routine:

I am going to preface this report with the fact that I did this race last year. I ended up not finishing the swim. I panicked very early, held on to a kayak, collected my thoughts and decided that it just wasn't going to happen. The race organizers were lovely and let me do the bike and run with which I had a great time but I felt terrible about my very first ever DNF/DQ, whatever it was. So, some stupidity in me made me sign up for a HIM this year but I included this race as the one I have to conquer to prove to myself that I really can do this.

We got up really early for my 9:20 start because we were getting a ride with a friend who was doing the Duathlon. Had a bowl of cereal and packed up my bag. I almost forgot my bike shoes!
Event warmup:

Since I was there early and I panicked on the swim last year and didn't finish it I was in my wetsuit early and in the water. Didn't do too many strokes just a couple of short out and backs to get a sense of the waves. We had been OWS just yesterday and I was feeling pretty confident. I knew I could swim it and if anything went wrong it would be completely irrational fear.
Swim
  • 19m 12s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my best tri swim yet! I was feeling all the pre-race nerves as our wave lined up. I'd already watched about 5 go. After the horn went off it took a bit for people to start swimming since its so shallow for a while. I got in and noticed my breathing was a little shallow so i took some time to count strokes and calm myself down. It was fairly wavy but I found it quite rythmic and not to be the kind that would break in my face when I would turn to breathe. Before I knew it was I rounding the first bouy. I was next to a girl who I heard complain about the waves as I came up to sight but it was awesome that it didn't bother me at all. I got a little off-course on the straight away but right side is so much stronger than the left. I righted myself and carried on. Before I knew it i passed a couple of people and kept swimming until it was absolutely necessary to get up.
What would you do differently?:

Not a darn thing! This was awesome for me and my biggest hurdle in tris.

I did tell D that i would do a little dance on the beach if it all went well and I should have but I was too busy running into transition which is a hike from the beach. Though, the pictures are up and I have the happiest and dorkiest swim exit photo ever!
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

This was fine. I am not fast but I got out of there.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 24s
  • 30 kms
  • 29.80 km/hr
Comments:

This bike course is fun! It's very flat and they spread out the waves so it's not too congested. I got to the mount line and had a little trouble clipping in. Duh but anyway got going and fun out there. Really, the island is so lovely.

I did have one very annoying encounter on my second loop: at the far end of the Island there's a lollypop to turn around and I am slowly turning because I am pretty cautious and no one was really behind me. As I am coming around this older guy is suddenly right behind me and says 'Geez, turn much' obviously being rude (though I kind of think he meant it under his breath) and then he passed me on the right as we were coming out of the turn! That made me so mad!! I wanted there to be an OAT official to disqualify him right there. I squinted my eyes as he biked off thinking 'Oooh, I'll get you on the run' not really sure whether or not I would since he was a guy and started at least two waves ahead of me. See the run section for that.

Anyway, not much else to say. I wasn't good at the turnarounds but kept a pretty steady pace and enjoyed myself and sipped on gatorade.

Get better at the turns - the one end doesn't have a lollypop and i ended up on the grass every time!
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Again. I am slow but I am not too worried about it. I popped the garmin off the quick realease, shoes, hat, and a quick drink.

I really really have to put the zip laces on my shoes!
Run
  • 41m 30s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 05m 32s  min/km
Comments:

I really wasn't sure how this would go. I've had a sore heel that's been nagging me and I have only run a small amount in the last couple of weeks. As usual I took off way too fast. I had told myself today was all about the swim and the rest was gravy. I tried to reign it in and took water at the first aid station. I starting chatting to one girl who was eager to pass a girl in her age group and just as i was about to slow she encouraged me to stay with her. So i did for a bit (she ended up first in her AG). I took water at each station and ticked off the kilometers trying to encourage people as we went. It was pretty humid out so I was dumping water on myself as well.

On my second loop I saw jerky biker guy coming back. He was limping pretty badly so i felt a little guilty for wishing him ill. I figured I wouldn't see him again. By this point my heel is a little achy but i only have like 2.5k to go. No point in slowing down right? I am smiling and having a good time but getting tired.

I finally came to the finishing chute and I see jerky biker guy heading to the finish. All guilt went away and I gunned it to pass him. He's actually in the background of my finishing pictures! HA!

I should have gone slower but I don't think I would have done it any differently. I probably should have brought my own water bottle so i could get fluid in more regularly.
Post race
Warm down:

Not too much. I headed over to get food

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hrm. Not too much. My heel has been doing much better and this race was commensurate with my abilities.

Event comments:

This is a fun race. Being a ferry ride away makes the logistics a bit challenging but once there it's super fun and a great race venue. I could definitely do this one over and over again!

Last updated: 2010-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:12 | 750 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 301/424
Performance: Good
Includes run to transition (about 250-300m)
Suit: Nineteen
Course: Rectangular swim. Apparently this year they pulled it in a bit closer to shore due to water conditions. It's in Lake Ontario where the water is pretty cold all year and can be rougher.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:24 | 30 kms | 29.80 km/hr
Overall: 272/424
Wind:
Course: 5k out and back, three times. Very flat. Road is generally closed to cars and pretty smooth.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:30 | 07.5 kms | 05m 32s  min/km
Overall: 179/424
Course: Two loops on multi terrian at the west end of the island.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-19 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-08-19 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3052628

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great report Jen!!  You conquered the swim!
2010-08-19 1:12 PM

User image

Regular
Toronto
Great race, Jen. I'm so glad you passed jerky biker guy! That's sweeeet. If only you could have been really petty and said, "run much?" as you passed him - but that's just the 5-year-old in me... Tongue out

Conquering the swim is awesome - way to go.
2010-08-21 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Great race.  Let's both give ourselves a pat on the back for conquering the choppy waters, finally!  And congrats on a great run, passing that cyclist with heel issues and all.  I checked out your pix - the swim pix were great, and what a beautiful smile at the finish, what a contrast to the dying cyclist behind you!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed