BT Development ARE YOU NEW? Beginner Triathlete Group Training » Getting Started Rss Feed  
Moderators: Tri Take Me Away, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-08-19 12:05 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: Getting Started
Welcome to the Beginner Training Plan Forums. My name is Jessica Herschberg and I will be one of the members helping to answer your questions and facilitate conversation among new users. I am a USAT Level 1 Coach and I have been an active member of Beginner Triathlete since 2005.

Some things we can help you with:
1. Learning how to use the training log features of BT
2. Understanding terminology
3. Answer questions about how to use your training plan
4. Help you understand the basics of your training plan

The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for you to talk about your training plan with other people that are using the same plan or that have used the plan in the past. We hope this forum will help you make the most of BeginnerTriathlete.com and it’s free features as well as provide you an avenue to begin participating in our supportive community. Directly connect with other members on the same training plans that are going through the same experiences to share information and get motivated.

Your next step is to register if you haven't yet and start posting on the thread that has your plan within this forum.

What will help other members?

Keep a Training Log
All of your posts and others in your group will have a 'Log' link directly to their training log.  Feedback is always better if people can see exactly what you have done.
Add your group members to your 'Friends' List
Add friends to your training log by going into your 'Settings > Training Blog Customization > Friends'    Direct link

CURRENT MEMBERS
Have you used one of the plans in the past?  We would love your help in helping the beginners.  Feel free to jump in if this is of interest.

2010-08-19 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3052855

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Subject: RE: Getting Started
Hi Jessica!
I think this is a great forum to add.  If I could make a request, could the "Olympic - 3x Balanced - 16 Week" Program be added?  I've been following it for the past couple of weeks and I'd love to see it as one of the forum topics.

Thanks for all you, and everyone else here, do to make this sport accessible to us noobs!

Byron
2010-08-20 6:37 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Byron, I added the forum for you.
2010-08-20 1:06 PM

New user

Hi Jessica,
My name is Shawna and I have never done a triathlon before but I just started training for my first one at the beginning of August. However I am using the 16 week 3x Sprint Plan and was wondering if you could add that one.
Thank you,
Shawna
2010-08-20 1:21 PM

New user

Thank you very much Jessica! I think that this is such a wonderful idea!
2010-08-24 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Super Cool, Jess, you are JUST the person to be overseeing this!

2010-08-25 7:40 PM

Veteran

Hello,

I am having a hard time contemplating which training program to use for next year. Currently I am using the 20 wk sprint plan to build a base. My goal is to enter the Steelhead 70.3 next August. This winter I want to transition into a plan that will prepare me for an oly in June, sprint(s) in July, and my HIM in August. My thought is to use the 20 wk. HIM plan to prepare for all of these events. I have competed in sprint events, but it has not been since 2006. Should the main focus be the oly and build from there? Or should the main focus be the HIM and use other events as training?

2010-08-26 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3064180

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
crlarner - 2010-08-25 7:40 PM

Hello,

I am having a hard time contemplating which training program to use for next year. Currently I am using the 20 wk sprint plan to build a base. My goal is to enter the Steelhead 70.3 next August. This winter I want to transition into a plan that will prepare me for an oly in June, sprint(s) in July, and my HIM in August. My thought is to use the 20 wk. HIM plan to prepare for all of these events. I have competed in sprint events, but it has not been since 2006. Should the main focus be the oly and build from there? Or should the main focus be the HIM and use other events as training?

Hi crlarner,
The first thing you need to do is decide which of these races are your "A" races, the most important ones where you want to do your very best effort. The other races can be "B" or "C" priority races, which means you might not taper for them, you are using them as race practice, to practice race nutrition, to get racing experience, or just to have fun.
It is possible to have more than one "A" race, but usually one will be at the beginning of the season (April, May, June) and one at the end (Aug, Sept, Oct). Since your Oly distance race is only two months from your HIM, it sounds to me that the HIM will be your "A" race for the year. If that is the case, you should use a 20 week HIM plan to get through all of those races, with some adjustment IF NEEDED to the schedule to give you a recovery week leading into the Oly. You could use the plan as is with the understanding that your Oly will not be you absolute best performance because you will not be following a plan specifically for that race.
Does that make sense?
Also, you will bein good company with the HIM plan as that is our busiest forum so far!
2010-08-26 10:21 AM

Veteran
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same along those lines. I do want to do well at the Oly in June, but my "A" race is the HIM in August.
2010-08-28 1:25 PM

Veteran

After further research, how much further behind would I be if I used the 20 wk. OLY plan and then bumped up my workouts in June and July to prepare for the HIM in Aug.? This plan seems to fit better in my schedule. My goal is to complete an ironman by the age of 40, which is in 2012. Should I focus on a HIM and Ironman in the same year? I want to finish next year with the goal of completing a HIM next season, but have to be realistic too.

2010-08-29 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3069070

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

how did i miss this from earlier...about myself...i often tell people that my coaching season is 'my' off season...so i am trying to swing this with caution...If you think i am biting too much let me know...

My focus has always been just training and staying fit and jumping in on some short sprints.  My monster is and will always will be the swim...pool swim,,,,let alone open water swim.  I've done a few marathons so i know how they feel...soooooo,  no, no full IM for me.  But in the back of my mind, i would like to be able to get to do at leat Oly distance....Here is a glimpse of what I do:

8/30/2010 Swim BikeRun 
 Sun  6
 Mon 40 minAM/PM spins 
 Tues90 min4
 Wed am / pm spins 
 Thurs40min  4
 Fri4590 min 
 Sat  2hrs 

All of this is pool swims,,,when there are pool swims.  Swims are usually broken down into 300s.  Biking is getting fun...run is not too much of a problem as that is what my main background is in....

Is an Oly dist mid May doable....One of my big concerns is my coaching season..Track season takes a lot of time..so this would be a stretch..

Just trying to get a feel for what you think.
Marcelo

2010-08-30 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3069070

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
crlarner - 2010-08-28 1:25 PM

After further research, how much further behind would I be if I used the 20 wk. OLY plan and then bumped up my workouts in June and July to prepare for the HIM in Aug.? This plan seems to fit better in my schedule. My goal is to complete an ironman by the age of 40, which is in 2012. Should I focus on a HIM and Ironman in the same year? I want to finish next year with the goal of completing a HIM next season, but have to be realistic too.

Here is what I would suggest if you want to consider using the 20 week Oly plan and switching to HIM training with two months to go:
Find your highest volume week in the Oly plan.
Compare that week to HIM plan you were considering, right around 8 weeks out or at whichever point you will be switching to that plan.
If they are somewhat compatible and not more than 10-15% apart in volume, then you should be ok. From a quick peak at the volume graphs for each plan, I think the transition will be fine for you.
2010-08-31 8:27 PM

Veteran
Thanks Jessica. Perhaps I am looking into this too much, but the more postings I read, the more I become overwhelmed. I want to make sure I really know what I am in for for a longer race. The thought of 3 hours on a bike seems daunting the more I focus on it.  
2010-09-01 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3074841

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
crlarner - 2010-08-31 8:27 PM Thanks Jessica. Perhaps I am looking into this too much, but the more postings I read, the more I become overwhelmed. I want to make sure I really know what I am in for for a longer race. The thought of 3 hours on a bike seems daunting the more I focus on it.  

One day at a time, one week at a time. Focus on that. Really. You WILL get where you want to go if you tackle it in bite-size pieces.
Jessica
2010-09-01 5:38 PM

Regular
Raleigh
Hello Jessica,

I'm a newbie and have my first two sprint events coming up in September.   50 next week.  Ran a couple of half marathons last year (~10 min/mile pace);  bike average but improving (18 mph group rides) ; swim needs work.

I have been following Tom Holland's 12 week plan (the Olympic distance plan actually) and feel that I am in good shape to finish the two upcoming events and use them as benchmark and learning experiences.  I'm more concerned about developing a 12 month plan from here.

My ambitions for next year are to do some more sprints early season and work up to Olympic distance and, just possibly, a half distance next fall.

Love the site and am looking to sign-up as a member.  Here are my questions:

(i)   do the plans include any "winter work out" plans/schedules?  My main objectives are to improve swim technique (I'm taking classes locally) and endurance and to build miles of the bike - esp. in aerobar position.

(ii)  any particular plans you recommend for my 2011 objectives?  I would like to think that I can become somewhat competitive in my age group rather than "just a finisher".

Thanks!   Any advice gratefully received.

Roger

PS   I currently track my workouts using Garmin Connect - I assume that it's just a case of manually adding the data here too?

Edited by JollyRoger 2010-09-01 5:40 PM
2010-09-01 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3077113

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
JollyRoger - 2010-09-01 5:38 PM Hello Jessica,

I'm a newbie and have my first two sprint events coming up in September.   50 next week.  Ran a couple of half marathons last year (~10 min/mile pace);  bike average but improving (18 mph group rides) ; swim needs work.

I have been following Tom Holland's 12 week plan (the Olympic distance plan actually) and feel that I am in good shape to finish the two upcoming events and use them as benchmark and learning experiences.  I'm more concerned about developing a 12 month plan from here.

My ambitions for next year are to do some more sprints early season and work up to Olympic distance and, just possibly, a half distance next fall.

Love the site and am looking to sign-up as a member.  Here are my questions:

(i)   do the plans include any "winter work out" plans/schedules?  My main objectives are to improve swim technique (I'm taking classes locally) and endurance and to build miles of the bike - esp. in aerobar position.

(ii)  any particular plans you recommend for my 2011 objectives?  I would like to think that I can become somewhat competitive in my age group rather than "just a finisher".

Thanks!   Any advice gratefully received.

Roger

PS   I currently track my workouts using Garmin Connect - I assume that it's just a case of manually adding the data here too?

Hi Roger, and welcome to BT and the forums! I will try to answer all of your questions, but remind me if I forget one:
1. As a free member, you have access to a number of awesome training plans, including Olympic and HIM distance plans. These forums are for people using those plans to share their experiences with each other. If you become a paying member, there are more plans for you to choose from. With the Silver membership, you will have access to 5 different Winter Maintenance plans ranging from 8 weeks to 20 weeks. One of them is a bike-focused plan. You can see all the plans by membership type by visiting this page.
2. If you use the free HIM plan, I definitely recommend you join the group associated with that plan. It is so far the busiest thread in this forum. You can find it here.  Since this will be your first HIM, you will really benefit from the company of others also preparing for their first, even if you find that you are faster than most of them. You can also start spending time in the Iron Distance forum, which you can find here. It is not plan specific, but you will learn a lot there. Once you choose your HIM race, you can join the group specific to that race, but everyone will be using different plans. That forum can be found here.
3. Once you are through the winter and have finished your first races of the early season, take stock of your fitness and choose a plan then. The beginner plan is time based, so it works for athletes of many abilities.  You may decide an intermediate plan is best for you if you trained well over the winter and have great early season races.

Garmin Connect: When you become a paying member, you can automatically upload data to BT from your Garmin!
Jessica

2010-09-02 6:38 AM

Regular
Raleigh
Thanks Jess - some great info.

It looks as if silver membership should do it for me.  I have the Outer Banks half marathon coming up in November and after that I can see transitioning into something like one of the winter plans with bike or swim emphasis, followed by one of the "improve your spint" plans and then the sprint to olympic bridge plan. 

I obviously haven't looked to see how the timing looks relative to the events I'm considering next year (I think that I have a rough idea of my "A" and "B" targets) but this should really help my planning.

Cheers,

Roger
2010-09-02 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3077760

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
JollyRoger - 2010-09-02 4:38 AM Thanks Jess - some great info.

It looks as if silver membership should do it for me.  I have the Outer Banks half marathon coming up in November and after that I can see transitioning into something like one of the winter plans with bike or swim emphasis, followed by one of the "improve your spint" plans and then the sprint to olympic bridge plan. 

I obviously haven't looked to see how the timing looks relative to the events I'm considering next year (I think that I have a rough idea of my "A" and "B" targets) but this should really help my planning.

Cheers,

Roger

Definitely once you get your top races settled, work backwards to find out plan starting points. Also a great idea to consider some focus months in the "off" season to get really fired up for the new season!

John
2010-09-04 8:47 PM

User image

Fall River, WI

Hi Jessica,

I quit smoking 2 weeks ago, am cutting back on alcohol to facilitate the quitting of cigarettes and live a somewhat sedentary lifestyle.  I'm 31 y/o 6'3" 250lb.  I am getting married in April looking to lose some weight and over make a positive lifestyle change.  I would much prefer to not be an overweight lazy father when we decide to have children as well.  I have lost 60lbs in the past through eating right and exercise but then quit smoking and gained all the weight back plus some.  Obviously the quitting of smoking didn't last, but the weight did.   Anyway, I am wanting to compete in a sprint next spring and an Oly in the fall with the ultimate goal being a HIM in the summer of 2012.  I have always thought about doing a triathlon and since I need some goals for myself right now I think now is as good a time as any to start. 

Recently I started a 9 week run/walk 5k program that I will most likely stretch out to be a few weeks longer.  Since then we, ( the fiance and I) have bought road bikes and I would also like to do the beginner cycling training program as well as a 3 day upper body/core lightweight high rep training program. 

Does this sound like too much for a beginner?  When I look at it written down it looks like a lot, but the actual time of working out really isn't that much, and time is something that is not a factor.  We have a full gym set-up at work that I have full access to while on duty.  I work 24 hour shifts and only work 10 days a month, so time is something I have plenty of, which is not the greatest thing for me at the moment.  With quitting smoking I would much rather be busy doing something and there's only so much laundry, yard work and cleaning that needs to be done.  So with all that said (sorry to get so wordy), does this seem reasonable or am I setting myself up for trouble?

Thanks

Brent

2010-09-05 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3082448

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
inmyelement - 2010-09-04 6:47 PM

Does this sound like too much for a beginner?  When I look at it written down it looks like a lot, but the actual time of working out really isn't that much, and time is something that is not a factor.  We have a full gym set-up at work that I have full access to while on duty.  I work 24 hour shifts and only work 10 days a month, so time is something I have plenty of, which is not the greatest thing for me at the moment.  With quitting smoking I would much rather be busy doing something and there's only so much laundry, yard work and cleaning that needs to be done.  So with all that said (sorry to get so wordy), does this seem reasonable or am I setting myself up for trouble?

Thanks

Brent

First, congratulations on the decisions! Sounds like you've got some fun times ahead of you!

And, as to whether its a lot, that depends on you. If you go all out on every workout, hammer it any time you get near an exercise, yeah, it's gonna wear you down. Push yourself some, but be reasonable about it. Don't be afraid to back off or skip a workout in the beginning if you are just not feeling it. In time you'll learn the difference between "Ok, a bit sore but I can still push", and "OMFG, I need a day off!"

And again, welcome!

John
2010-09-06 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3082448

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
inmyelement - 2010-09-04 8:47 PM

Hi Jessica,

I quit smoking 2 weeks ago, am cutting back on alcohol to facilitate the quitting of cigarettes and live a somewhat sedentary lifestyle.  I'm 31 y/o 6'3" 250lb.  I am getting married in April looking to lose some weight and over make a positive lifestyle change.  I would much prefer to not be an overweight lazy father when we decide to have children as well.  I have lost 60lbs in the past through eating right and exercise but then quit smoking and gained all the weight back plus some.  Obviously the quitting of smoking didn't last, but the weight did.   Anyway, I am wanting to compete in a sprint next spring and an Oly in the fall with the ultimate goal being a HIM in the summer of 2012.  I have always thought about doing a triathlon and since I need some goals for myself right now I think now is as good a time as any to start. 

Recently I started a 9 week run/walk 5k program that I will most likely stretch out to be a few weeks longer.  Since then we, ( the fiance and I) have bought road bikes and I would also like to do the beginner cycling training program as well as a 3 day upper body/core lightweight high rep training program. 

Thanks

Brent

Hello, Brent! Welcome to BT!! We are very happy to have you here in the forums. Congratulations on quitting smoking! I've had to do it myself, so I know what a HUGE endeavor it can be but also how WONDERFUL a smoke-free life is!
I honestly think you will be ok with both programs, as like you said the hours aren't too long. If anything, I would ditch the traditional weight training program and stick with 15 minute core or bodyweight sessions for now. Maybe just work on pull ups and push ups.
Pick a race! Once you do that, count back 16 weeks. Look at the first week of the 16 week Sprint plan and plan to be able to easily handle that volume 16 weeks before your first race. Your goal over the winter should be to get you in enough shape to be able to handle that volume, which should be very do-able if you are doing a 5K and the Cycling plan.
Jessica

2010-09-09 11:21 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to forums and sprint tris. I'm in my first week of the 13-week program and I have a question. I've read that you should train at 70 to 80 percent BPM it because it's ideal for endurance training and burning fat. But when I workout, I consistently go over the rate by about 10 beats per minute. Is this bad? Should I slow down?
2010-09-09 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3089302

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
keysara - 2010-09-09 11:21 AM Hi everyone,

I'm new to forums and sprint tris. I'm in my first week of the 13-week program and I have a question. I've read that you should train at 70 to 80 percent BPM it because it's ideal for endurance training and burning fat. But when I workout, I consistently go over the rate by about 10 beats per minute. Is this bad? Should I slow down?

Welcome to BT!! To answer your question about slowing down...it depends! Most beginners have a very hard time staying under target heart rate zones. It's one of the main benefits of heart rate training, that it forces you to slow down and work only in your aerobic zones.
That being said, many beginners will also use the standard 220-age formula to calculate max heart rate, which can be pretty inaccurate. In my personal example, it's 10 beats off and always has been. The best solution is to test your heart rate yourself and calculate zones based on that. You can find a great resource on this subject here.
Jessica
2010-10-06 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Hello! Is anyone else following the conservative couch to 5k program?
2010-10-06 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3136746

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
TheSchwamm - 2010-10-06 12:28 PM Hello! Is anyone else following the conservative couch to 5k program?

Hmmmm.....

something doesn't seem right. 7300+ posts, and you're following the "conservative" C25K program?

qua? :p

John
New Thread
BT Development ARE YOU NEW? Beginner Triathlete Group Training » Getting Started Rss Feed  

of 7