General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-05-01 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3476263

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group
goofee girl - 2011-05-01 5:43 PM

Hi all! I'm new to this group and new to Triathlons. To be honest, I'm about to participate in my very first Triathlon in 2 weeks. It's Olympic distance and I know I'm crazy to start high and go low later, but it was in the stars for me.

Anyway, I'm joining this group because I have a Sprint Triathlon in exactly 13 weeks from today and will be starting my training this week since it matches my taper for the Oly. I'm doing a custom plan since I had that option and really want to see myself learn how to run a full 5K since right now I'm mostly run/walking the run section... more walking than running... I might do the C25K while training since I need to learn how to run that distance.

Looking forward to learning from all of you!

Welcome! This group uses a specific plan, but you will still learn a lot by hanging out here, even if you aren't using the same plan as the rest of us. Good luck in your first race!

2011-05-10 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3052887

User image

New user

Columbus

Hi everyone!

I've recently found this site and have already found it extremely useful for my training.  After doing a modified tri with canoeing instead of swimming and then a duathlon I've finally decided to sign up for one.  I've found a spring tri at the end of July and am doing the 13 week plan.

I've also just started using a heart rate monitor for training and am having some initial difficulty with it.  In the past during my workouts, mainly running, I would maintain an average HR of 170-180.  Now trying to keep it at low 150s I am having to jog at such a slow pace.  I know that over time it should improve and I'm okay with waiting, it's just tough.

I had originally planned on adding some extra runs into the plan as the couple per week didn't feel like enough, but today I ran into another issue.  The day after my duathlon a couple weeks  ago I had a vague pain in the lateral aspect of my left knee.  During the end of one of my runs last week and again today that same pain came back.  I'm pretty certain it's Iliotibial band syndrome and am worried how it's going to affect my training.  I'm wondering if I should take some time of running for the next week and substitute the runs with biking or some other cross training activity.  

I'll post more about my background later, but for now I'll leave it at that.

-Trevor

2011-05-17 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3492585

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
trevorm02 - 2011-05-10 8:41 PM

Hi everyone!

I've recently found this site and have already found it extremely useful for my training.  After doing a modified tri with canoeing instead of swimming and then a duathlon I've finally decided to sign up for one.  I've found a spring tri at the end of July and am doing the 13 week plan.

I've also just started using a heart rate monitor for training and am having some initial difficulty with it.  In the past during my workouts, mainly running, I would maintain an average HR of 170-180.  Now trying to keep it at low 150s I am having to jog at such a slow pace.  I know that over time it should improve and I'm okay with waiting, it's just tough.

I had originally planned on adding some extra runs into the plan as the couple per week didn't feel like enough, but today I ran into another issue.  The day after my duathlon a couple weeks  ago I had a vague pain in the lateral aspect of my left knee.  During the end of one of my runs last week and again today that same pain came back.  I'm pretty certain it's Iliotibial band syndrome and am worried how it's going to affect my training.  I'm wondering if I should take some time of running for the next week and substitute the runs with biking or some other cross training activity.  

I'll post more about my background later, but for now I'll leave it at that.

-Trevor

Hi Trevor. How is your knee feeling? Has the pain continued? It's always a good idea to back off if you are feeling some pain, but it's hard to know whether something is temporary or the beginning of a serious issue. It might have just been the exertion from the race. Let us know how things are going.

2011-05-17 7:33 PM

User image

New user

Columbus

The knee feels ok now, but I've been taking it pretty easy.  I'm going to go for a run later this week so I'll see how it goes.  The other disciplines are going well though.  Got clipless pedals and went for my first ride on them today.  Took one tumble at a stop sign and made a fool of myself, but not too much that I couldn't laugh it off.  I'm going on vacation in florida for a couple weeks and am taking my bike down, hopefully going to be able to find some trails to ride on.

2011-05-24 1:38 PM

Hello!  Brand new and giving the TRI a try Labor Day Weekend.  I'm doing a spint tri that's 3.5 mile run, 10 mile bike, 0.3 swim.

I'm an avid runner and casual biker so this will all be new to me.  Starting training this week!

2011-05-26 11:34 PM

User image

New user

The Woodlands, Texas
Hello everyone!  My name is Adrianne and I'm a tri-newbie (kind of)  I did my first sprint in April - the Lonestar Sprint in Galveston, TX.  I was SUPER slow but I finished!  I am planning on doing another sprint in early August (not an open swim - yeah!).  I have taken more time off than anticipated (for many reasons) and need to get back on track so I will jump into this 13 week program late turning it into a 10 week program.  What I like about this program is it's do-able and not overwhelming.  I look forward to sharing my training with y'all and reading about everyone's adventures!

2011-06-01 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3521182

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

adkuch - 2011-05-26 11:34 PM Hello everyone!  My name is Adrianne and I'm a tri-newbie (kind of)  I did my first sprint in April - the Lonestar Sprint in Galveston, TX.  I was SUPER slow but I finished!  I am planning on doing another sprint in early August (not an open swim - yeah!).  I have taken more time off than anticipated (for many reasons) and need to get back on track so I will jump into this 13 week program late turning it into a 10 week program.  What I like about this program is it's do-able and not overwhelming.  I look forward to sharing my training with y'all and reading about everyone's adventures!

Hi Adrianne. Welcome to the forum! It's hard to get motivated to do your second triathlon. Fear is a great motivator, but once you get your first race done that fear goes away! Great job getting back on track and good luck with the plan!

2011-06-07 4:04 PM

STL, MO

Hello.  I have a couple of questions as I'm a beginning swimmer (meaning I have no technique but can survive in the water). How do you recommend getting starting on the swimming portion of a sprint-tri? I'm already in love with running 5 and 10Ks and I bike often (spin as well).  I'm in dire need of assistance with the swimming.  What stroke and is there an instruction sheet for that stroke?  What type of swim suit for a novice....is a tight one-piece sufficient to begin?  Many questions...I'll start here.

Thanks

2011-06-08 8:07 AM

User image

corpus christi area

does this count if im doing the sprint 16 week swim heavy?

2011-06-09 2:10 PM

User image

Hi! I'm new here!  I signed my hubby up for an account to!  We have commited to doing our first sprint July 17th!  Crazy I know, but I figure, if we don't just dive in, we'll never do it.  I have some swimming and running in my background, and I'm decent at biking...and since I just want to finish to say that I did it, I figure as long as I can build up the endurance to swim the 500m then I should be able to do that.   Running is definitely my weak Hubby has running in his background, but swimming will be his challenge. 

I KNOW this is ambitious...but I am very much the type of person that if I give myself too much time, I will procrastinate and won't train anyways...I think if I just jump in, and have a short term goal it will keep me going. This might be the only triathlon we ever do, or it might be the start of a new hobby for us to do together, I'm not really sure yet.

Lots more background info to give, but to sum it up for now, we have four kids, have been married 6 years, our kids are 5, 3, 18 months, and 10 weeks.  Now I have to run to take care of them! Oh, and you'll probably see the hubs around too...he's "teamHaggiethemr"  I have a lot of questions, but until I know if anyone is really going to be around here I'm not going to bother posting.

2011-06-16 3:02 PM

Hi everyone!  Another tri newbie!  I've signed up to do my first sprint tri on October 9th.  I run pretty regularly (3x a week) and I'm mostly concerned about the swim portion.  Oh and I need to buy a bike!  Laughing  So I definitely need a lot of help!

2011-06-19 2:50 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I'm a newbie too, although I've jock-strapped for my sweetie a few times. Just started the couch-to-sprint plan last week & signed up for my 1st race today. The race is 9/11 so I should be in good shape (I hope!!). Now if I can just stop aching, that'd be good!! Had a massage yesterday - made me even more sore. What's up with that?!

I live in the Denver area and am doing the Fort Collins Sprint. I'm 42 and not too athletic although I'm really enjoying the workouts. They're a great way to get the blood flowing after work. I work in a call center helping people stop using tobacco. Pretty heavy stories sometimes, so the workouts are a great stress reliever as well. So far all my workouts have been at the gym, but hoping to get outside soon to do some runs and rides. My race has a pool swim, which is definitely much less intimidating.

Anyway, glad to find a forum like this. Looking forward to getting to know you all. Is anybody here in CO and doing the same race I am? Would love to meet up if you are.

Mary

2011-06-19 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3537637

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
newtoness5 - 2011-06-07 4:04 PM

Hello.  I have a couple of questions as I'm a beginning swimmer (meaning I have no technique but can survive in the water). How do you recommend getting starting on the swimming portion of a sprint-tri? I'm already in love with running 5 and 10Ks and I bike often (spin as well).  I'm in dire need of assistance with the swimming.  What stroke and is there an instruction sheet for that stroke?  What type of swim suit for a novice....is a tight one-piece sufficient to begin?  Many questions...I'll start here.

Thanks

Hi there! Have you taken a look at the Learn To Swim plan? Some people like to use that as their swim training. I think it would help you a lot.

2011-06-22 7:09 PM

Hi,

I am going to work may way to begin this training plan.  I am good on the running and cycling but haven't been in the pool since last summer.  I need to get up to 20mins non-stop.  I hope to start training in earnest by Aug 1st.  I am 35 and this will be my 1st attempt at the tri-athalon world.  wish me luck.  Looking forward to communicating with you all.  I am new to the site and group, but I am  serious about getting started.  Thanks!

2011-06-23 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
Annapolis

Hey Y'all!!!

Just wanted to say hi, I'm new here. Doing my first sprint-Tri in October, and I'll be starting the "formal" 13 week training plan in mid-July.

One of my best friends believes in me more than I believe in myself and she says I can do it. I've been spinning at the gym for about 3 years now, and I did my first 5k in May. Swimming will be my weakness as far as training goes, but I know I can conqour it between now and then.

I'm 31 female, married, with a 4 year old son, who promised to cheer mommy on in the bike race. :-)

Happy to be here and learn from the wealth of knowledge that is BT!

2011-06-29 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3562858

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Boogie76 - 2011-06-22 7:09 PM

Hi,

I am going to work may way to begin this training plan.  I am good on the running and cycling but haven't been in the pool since last summer.  I need to get up to 20mins non-stop.  I hope to start training in earnest by Aug 1st.  I am 35 and this will be my 1st attempt at the tri-athalon world.  wish me luck.  Looking forward to communicating with you all.  I am new to the site and group, but I am  serious about getting started.  Thanks!

Welcome! I am so excited for you! Let me know if you have any questions about the plan.

2011-06-29 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3564199

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
kshuszar - 2011-06-23 2:05 PM

Hey Y'all!!!

Just wanted to say hi, I'm new here. Doing my first sprint-Tri in October, and I'll be starting the "formal" 13 week training plan in mid-July.

One of my best friends believes in me more than I believe in myself and she says I can do it. I've been spinning at the gym for about 3 years now, and I did my first 5k in May. Swimming will be my weakness as far as training goes, but I know I can conqour it between now and then.

I'm 31 female, married, with a 4 year old son, who promised to cheer mommy on in the bike race. :-)

Happy to be here and learn from the wealth of knowledge that is BT!

Your friend is right - you can do this! Welcome to BT and thanks for joining us here in the forums!

2011-07-05 12:44 PM

New user

Eastern Shore, MD

Hey Y'All!! 

New to the Tri thing too.  Did a 8K and a 10K this year and decided that a sprint tri before my 30th birthday was in order. I live on the Eastern Shore of MD and am planning to do the Osprey Sprint Triathlon in Snow Hill in October. Just joined a local pool to train (also going to do some harbor swims in the inlet near my home), am looking for a bike (don't have one yet) and am continuing to do the running thing. I'm most nervous about the transitions and am really unsure how they even work and what I'm supposed to do.  I read that someone here was going to volunteer at one first.. and I think I'm going to do that to get a sense of how things work. =)  Some guy at the bike shop also told me to check out triathlon transitions on you-tube. 

Happy Training everyone - and remember... there's no such thing as a rain day! =

2011-07-05 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3581417

User image

Regular
Annapolis
paxismyleader - 2011-07-05 1:44 PM

Hey Y'All!! 

New to the Tri thing too.  Did a 8K and a 10K this year and decided that a sprint tri before my 30th birthday was in order. I live on the Eastern Shore of MD and am planning to do the Osprey Sprint Triathlon in Snow Hill in October. Just joined a local pool to train (also going to do some harbor swims in the inlet near my home), am looking for a bike (don't have one yet) and am continuing to do the running thing. I'm most nervous about the transitions and am really unsure how they even work and what I'm supposed to do.  I read that someone here was going to volunteer at one first.. and I think I'm going to do that to get a sense of how things work. =)  Some guy at the bike shop also told me to check out triathlon transitions on you-tube. 

Happy Training everyone - and remember... there's no such thing as a rain day! =

I voluenteered at the Celebration Tri in Columbia, and it totally got my pumped for my race in October. There are plenty of them around. Nation's is coming up in DC, i think that's a HUGE race, so I'm sure they need tons of help.  Didn't think about the transitions on you-tube, that's a great idea! Best of luck to you!!!

2011-07-05 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3581417

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
paxismyleader - 2011-07-05 12:44 PM

Hey Y'All!! 

Welcome to BT! Yes, I really encourage you to go to a triathlon in your area and watch how things work. It will give you an immense sense of relief and take away a lot of anxiety so you can focus on the important stuff - training!

2011-07-06 10:24 AM

User image

Regular
Annapolis

Hey Tri Take Me Away, I got a question for ya. I started the "formal" 13 week plan on July 4th, well really on the 5th because I'm just not that dedicated to start on a fun outdoor holiday.

So... is the order of the week's workout important, or can I switch up my days? I get that you should have 2 rest days and that they should not be back to back, but I can only swim on my "gym days" which I have to share with my hubby, so I was thinking about switching up my order of the workouts.

Ideas on the importance of the order of the plan?

2011-07-08 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3582882

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
kshuszar - 2011-07-06 10:24 AM

Hey Tri Take Me Away, I got a question for ya. I started the "formal" 13 week plan on July 4th, well really on the 5th because I'm just not that dedicated to start on a fun outdoor holiday.

So... is the order of the week's workout important, or can I switch up my days? I get that you should have 2 rest days and that they should not be back to back, but I can only swim on my "gym days" which I have to share with my hubby, so I was thinking about switching up my order of the workouts.

Ideas on the importance of the order of the plan?

It's totally ok to switch up the days. We all have limitations on our time available, and the plan is only as good as your ability to follow it. Try to make sure you don't have both your swim workouts on back to back days as well as the runs and the bikes. But even that is fine if that's what works best for your schedule. I would suggest that once you find a routine that works, try to keep it consistent. It's much easier to follow a plan when you know you will be doing the same order every week (ie Wednesday is swim day, Thursday bike, Friday run, etc).

2011-07-08 6:35 AM

New user

Hi everyone, Melanie here.  I'm doing my first tri in Hopkinton, MA - the Title 9 Women Only Sprint Triathlon.  I'm based in Southeast Asia until mid-August so it's me against the heat here!  I've got a little less than 10 weeks til then so I will be modifying this plan slightly.  
2011-07-08 1:15 PM

Hi Everyone -

great to page through this forum, and see how long it's been going, and that it's still active!

I'm determined to do something epic for my 50th birth-year, which will be 2012. I've tentatively targeted Chelan Man 1/2 Iron man tri... a year away.

Background: last 3 years... done a couple half-marathons, then sat down too much and finished my master's thesis...now out of school, working (partly outdoors YAY)  and playing catchup.(Read: panting up hills after co-workers that can sprint like mountain-goats)

So... I have a bit of running and biking in my background, have done some fitness swimming...but never have put them together.

I'm starting with the sprint tri training plan... seems like a great way to get the "3" into my schedule and part of my life.

Anyone know a good site to find local events I can use to ease myself into the "big one"?

I'd like to find a sprint tri in Washington somewhere 'bout Octoberish.

Good luck all!

2011-07-10 12:56 PM

Hi All,

I'm starting this program tomorrow, but need to start on week 3.  My first tri is Sept 24 in Newport.  I'm a runner, and have been swimming in the pool for a few weeks (and have already gone from dying at 8 minutes to swimming 20 comfortably!)  and just bought a bike today.

Glad I found this group.  Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Judi

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 11