General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic 3x Balanced 16/20 Week Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2011-01-13 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3296297

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Olympic 3x Balanced 16 Week Group
kcnewbs - 2011-01-12 11:08 PM Started a modified version of this plan last week. Week 1 hurt a little bit since it had been a while since I've biked or swam. Week 2 feels much better though. I have a couple half marathons scheduled February and March, sprints April and June, but the Oly isn't scheduled until September. Will see how I feel as the plan progresses on whether or not I can add other running or tri events. 

No questions yet but I'm sure I will have some eventually. Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Welcome! I am glad the plan is feeling better for you already. Very cool. Using this plan will get you in great shape for your early season triathlons.

2011-01-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3296342

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
MalcolmG - 2011-01-13 2:36 AM
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-01-09 4:11 PM How is everyone doing? Check in and let us know if you have any questions.

I started the program about 4 weeks ago (most of the way through the 1st recovery week right now). So far it's been going well, I missed a few workouts when I went away over New Years but the time was spent at a beach being quite active and doing a bit of swimming so I didn't feel too bad about it. It's been good to have a structured plan so I don't have to think too much about what I'm going to do each day, but just consider the logistics of when/where I'm going to do the workout. I've rearranged the days so Friday is my rest day, Saturday is long run, Sunday is long ride and the long swim fits in on whichever day works best

I did have some questions about incorporating "B" races into the program. At the moment I am planning two sprint tris before the Oly - one in week 9 and one around 4 weeks out from the Oly. Neither of these is going to be anywhere near the scheduled workout time for the weekends they fall on - my last (and first) sprint was 1:09 and these weekends are both over 4 hours. Should I look at shifting the long workouts that should be on the weekend to the following week, perhaps to replace the short workout at the start of the week? Or should I just skip them?

And to add another spanner into the works, there's an awesome 33km coastal/trail run I was thinking of doing too, not attempting to "race" it but just to complete it with a few of my buddies. This falls on week 11. I actually screwed up a little and started the program a week early, so my Oly falls on week 17. I was thinking of basically stretching week 11 out to cover two weeks, with the 33km in the middle of them. I would probably only do a few short runs within these two weeks (excluding the 33km), spread the 3 bike workouts across the two weeks, but try and swim at least 5 times within the 2 weeks (swim is the only part of the Oly I'm really worried about - I did a 40km/7km brick last week). How does that sound?

There's also a couple of "C" races I'm going to throw in to the mix, just 5-10k fun-runs, OWS races etc, but these will just replace a single workout and I don't intend to alter the plan around them at all. There was a 100km cycling race I was considering but it's at the end of my peak week and seems like it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

The sprint tris, whenever possible, should be at the end of a recovery week. If you have already planned or paid for the races, though, you can rearrange the week to still get in your most important training, the long ride and run, and still race on the weekend. Or at the very least, just miss ONE of your long weekend workouts. It's ok to race on Saturday and still go long on the bike on Sunday.

The trail run: Yes, it is absolutely ok to repeat a week of the plan, but I like it best when it's the first week after a recovery week rather than the last week before a recovery week. It just means you aren't doing your highest mileage to date two weeks in a row.
2011-01-18 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3053654

Hi everyone my name is James. I started the 16wk oly 3x plan yesterday to get prepared for my first oly in May. Last season I did a few sprints and fell in love my goal this year is to do a half ironman towards the end of the year.
2011-01-19 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3307268

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
nasherism23 - 2011-01-18 4:32 PM Hi everyone my name is James. I started the 16wk oly 3x plan yesterday to get prepared for my first oly in May. Last season I did a few sprints and fell in love my goal this year is to do a half ironman towards the end of the year.

Hi James. Thanks for joining us! Sounds like you have the triathlon bug - awesome! Keep us up to date on how the plan is working for you.
2011-01-20 9:46 AM

Hello to all.
Getting my head in planning mode for two triathlons this summer. One in June (philly) and one in August ( nyc). Has anybody done the philly's olympic? I know last year they had to cancel the swim due to a drowning from the sprint, sadly. I've done nyc's twice. wanted to know how this 3x balanced program has worked for those who've used it. Really want to incorporate 2 a days and stay healthy, no injuries.
many thanks and good luck to you all!
tielai
2011-01-20 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3310873

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
tielai - 2011-01-20 9:46 AM Hello to all.
Getting my head in planning mode for two triathlons this summer. One in June (philly) and one in August ( nyc). Has anybody done the philly's olympic? I know last year they had to cancel the swim due to a drowning from the sprint, sadly. I've done nyc's twice. wanted to know how this 3x balanced program has worked for those who've used it. Really want to incorporate 2 a days and stay healthy, no injuries.
many thanks and good luck to you all!
tielai

Welcome to BT! We are happy to have you here in the forum! If you want to learn more about the Philly Tri, you can visit THIS link and find out who has done the race, who is doing it this year, and read prior race reports.  

2011-01-24 2:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland, NZ
I had been wondering about the grouping of the swim, bike and run workouts. Is there any particular reason why the swim and bike are on the same day, with runs on their own days? It leads to the workouts being 3 times longer one day than the following day, whereas if the swim and run were on the same day and the ride on its own, the successive days would be about the same duration.

2011-01-24 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3317338

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
MalcolmG - 2011-01-24 2:15 AM I had been wondering about the grouping of the swim, bike and run workouts. Is there any particular reason why the swim and bike are on the same day, with runs on their own days? It leads to the workouts being 3 times longer one day than the following day, whereas if the swim and run were on the same day and the ride on its own, the successive days would be about the same duration.

Generally, it's because the run is more physically demanding. But I have followed plans with run and swim on one day and bike on the other and find it works great, too. If you think that will work better for you, just swap the bike and run portions of your workouts.
2011-02-06 1:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland, NZ
Thanks for your help so far, thought I'd just check in to say the program is going great! I just finished week 7, milage for this week was 31km running (19.3 miles), 138km riding (85.8 miles), and 5km swimming (3.1 miles), biggest training week ever and I feel great! I've made massive progress on the swimming lately and now really look forward to each swim, completed a 1km OWS race this week too. Not quite half-way through the program and feel like progress has been excellent, can't wait for the Oly in April!
2011-02-07 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3341211

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
MalcolmG - 2011-02-06 1:43 AM Thanks for your help so far, thought I'd just check in to say the program is going great! I just finished week 7, milage for this week was 31km running (19.3 miles), 138km riding (85.8 miles), and 5km swimming (3.1 miles), biggest training week ever and I feel great! I've made massive progress on the swimming lately and now really look forward to each swim, completed a 1km OWS race this week too. Not quite half-way through the program and feel like progress has been excellent, can't wait for the Oly in April!

I LOVE to hear this stuff! Thank you so much for sharing your successes with us! You will motivate all the other people that use this plan after you!
2011-02-14 4:48 PM

New user
I've just decided to do Escape from Alcatraz (I won a lottery spot) but haven't done any tri training in about 2 years. Have been doing basic strength workouts and cardio but nothing specific. I have 16 weeks starting tomorrow. Swim is 1.5M, bike 18M and 8M run I'd like to follow some plan or at least have some guidelines for my training. What are you thoughts on substituting spin class for 2 of the bike workouts and masters for 2 of the swimming workouts and the other just do a moderate workout?

2011-02-15 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3354992

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Kidblue - 2011-02-14 4:48 PM I've just decided to do Escape from Alcatraz (I won a lottery spot) but haven't done any tri training in about 2 years. Have been doing basic strength workouts and cardio but nothing specific. I have 16 weeks starting tomorrow. Swim is 1.5M, bike 18M and 8M run I'd like to follow some plan or at least have some guidelines for my training. What are you thoughts on substituting spin class for 2 of the bike workouts and masters for 2 of the swimming workouts and the other just do a moderate workout?

Congrats on getting into the race! Given that you haven't done any specific triathlon training in awhile, I think two Masters classes would be a GREAT idea. Spinning is fine, but it's not a replacement for outdoor riding. Do you live somewhere cold? If so, do whatever it takes to stay motivated, whether that is spinning 2x a week or whatever. Just make sure you are doing your long rides on your own bike, and maybe add some time to the plan on the long days to get closer to the distance in training. Good luck and have fun!
2011-02-16 10:56 AM

New user
I live right outside of Boulder so usually it's nice enough on the weekends to get a long ride in. I'll keep you posted. Going to follow the program for the first two weeks pretty closely while I get some of my endurance back then will add masters for swimming and stick to the run and bike portion. I've swam Alcatraz before and trained at Masters (with some OWS added) and I felt more than prepared. It's the run and biking I'm most concerned about. Apparently the sand ladder is a killer.
2011-02-17 12:09 PM

New user
Quick question, what weight training should I do? I was thinking the basics bench, shoulder press, pull ups, squats or lunges, etc. Also can you recommend a solid core workout that is geared toward tri's?

Thanks!!!
2011-02-22 5:23 PM

User image

New user

Birkenhead
hi all I also have started this program but with a little tweeking. The bike and the swim are ok for me but at 260lb the running is an issue so im replacing the runs with the couch to 10k program. Its still  3 runs a week and should finish 4 weeks before the triathlon ive sighned up for which is the liverpool triathlon on the 26th June. So here we go wish me luck LOLWink
2011-02-23 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3360042

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Kidblue - 2011-02-17 12:09 PM Quick question, what weight training should I do? I was thinking the basics bench, shoulder press, pull ups, squats or lunges, etc. Also can you recommend a solid core workout that is geared toward tri's? Thanks!!!

Body weight strength training that is multi-joint, multi-muscle work well for triathletes and can be done anywhere. Check out the Strength Training forum for some good ideas and places to look. There is a core workout here on BT called Around the World that is a good, basic routine.

2011-02-23 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3367677

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
tri.dreamer - 2011-02-22 5:23 PM hi all I also have started this program but with a little tweeking. The bike and the swim are ok for me but at 260lb the running is an issue so im replacing the runs with the couch to 10k program. Its still  3 runs a week and should finish 4 weeks before the triathlon ive sighned up for which is the liverpool triathlon on the 26th June. So here we go wish me luck LOLWink

Good luck!! I think you made a good choice by combining the two plans. Please let us know what questions you have along the way and how you are progressing with the training.
2011-03-04 9:08 AM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Hey all, newb here living in Japan and signed up for my first tri in June. Olympic length. So, I started my training (Olympic 3x Balanced 16 week) 3 weeks ago, and at the end of the second week I realized that I had gotten my race date wrong (I misread the Japanese and took the last sign up date for the race date) and consequently started training two weeks early. So, now I'm worried that my final taper will be off...

What's the best way to fix this? When I tried to reprogram with the new (actual) race date in the personal program designer it told me to do one week of training followed by a taper week and then start the 16 week program, but it's already too late for that. So, what should I do?

I assume I should throw in a week 1 immediately followed by a taper week somewhere in the middle of things, but where would be better? Should I do it soon (between month one and month two) or should I wait and do it later on (between months 2 and 3 or 3 and 4)? Suggestions? I don't want to lose any of the hard work I've already done/will do, but I also don't want to tire myself out with over-training. I know the final taper is super important and I want to make sure I get the most out of this program.

Am I making too big a deal out of this? What should I do? Thanks for your time and help!

~Gwen

PS. Just to make things clear, I started my training on Feb. 13th and my race is Jun. 19th

2011-03-07 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3382390

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
gwenwhyvar32 - 2011-03-04 9:08 AM

Hey all, newb here living in Japan and signed up for my first tri in June. Olympic length. So, I started my training (Olympic 3x Balanced 16 week) 3 weeks ago, and at the end of the second week I realized that I had gotten my race date wrong (I misread the Japanese and took the last sign up date for the race date) and consequently started training two weeks early. So, now I'm worried that my final taper will be off...

What's the best way to fix this? When I tried to reprogram with the new (actual) race date in the personal program designer it told me to do one week of training followed by a taper week and then start the 16 week program, but it's already too late for that. So, what should I do?

I assume I should throw in a week 1 immediately followed by a taper week somewhere in the middle of things, but where would be better? Should I do it soon (between month one and month two) or should I wait and do it later on (between months 2 and 3 or 3 and 4)? Suggestions? I don't want to lose any of the hard work I've already done/will do, but I also don't want to tire myself out with over-training. I know the final taper is super important and I want to make sure I get the most out of this program.

Am I making too big a deal out of this? What should I do? Thanks for your time and help!

~Gwen

PS. Just to make things clear, I started my training on Feb. 13th and my race is Jun. 19th

Hi Gwen. Yes, you should add the two weeks now and then proceed with the plan according to schedule until race day. Your plan has three weeks of increasing volume followed by one week of decreased volume. At the end of the three weeks this month, instead of doing the taper week, start back 2 weeks and repeat the two weeks you just did, then do the taper week.

2011-03-07 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3386107

User image

Regular
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Thanks so much Jessica! Unfortunately, I had already done my workout today for the first day of the taper week before I read this, but I only did the swim and it was only 9 minutes shorter than week 2 would be anyway so I doubt it will make much difference.

I'll do the rest of this week as though it were week 2, then do week three again next week and then do the taper. Thanks again for taking the time to answer! I really appreciate the help.

~Gwen

2011-03-07 12:27 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Hi all! Thought I'd pop my head in here ... Jessica, thanks for the amazing stuff you're doing with the training groups, and Gwen, glad to see you jumping into training and the forums here

I just started on this plan for my Oly 6/26. I may be seriously deluded, but we'll see. I had a very nasty tropical virus that has degraded the cartilage in my joints (so basically I've got osteoarthritis now, not the end of the world, just needs adjustment, planning, and certain types of strength training). Anyhow, I'm going to do the training, but take it easy, just try to get the workouts in, and keep a real sharp eye on how I'm doing and how it's going.

Hope to get to know some of you better on our mutual journeys.

2011-03-10 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3386525

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
TriAya - 2011-03-07 12:27 PM

Hi all! Thought I'd pop my head in here ... Jessica, thanks for the amazing stuff you're doing with the training groups, and Gwen, glad to see you jumping into training and the forums here

I just started on this plan for my Oly 6/26. I may be seriously deluded, but we'll see. I had a very nasty tropical virus that has degraded the cartilage in my joints (so basically I've got osteoarthritis now, not the end of the world, just needs adjustment, planning, and certain types of strength training). Anyhow, I'm going to do the training, but take it easy, just try to get the workouts in, and keep a real sharp eye on how I'm doing and how it's going.

Hope to get to know some of you better on our mutual journeys.

Hi Yanti! So glad to have you here!!

2011-04-02 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Sykesville, MD

My first day with BT! Trying to find my way around the website. There's so much! I am competing in my first olympic tri on 5/22/11 - the Columbia Tri in Columbia, MD. My first tri of any kind. I have been training since 1/30, but signed up with BT becuase I think I need additional support and direction w/ my training.

Glad to be here.

Brian

2011-04-04 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3426924

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
SYR44 - 2011-04-02 7:14 PM

My first day with BT! Trying to find my way around the website. There's so much! I am competing in my first olympic tri on 5/22/11 - the Columbia Tri in Columbia, MD. My first tri of any kind. I have been training since 1/30, but signed up with BT becuase I think I need additional support and direction w/ my training.

Glad to be here.

Brian

Welcome, Brian! Very glad to have you here on BT!

2011-04-04 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Having just finished my peak week, and the first brick session of the taper, I thought I might check in Last week was hard work, mostly just finding time for all the workouts, but I did them all  - 7.2km swimming, 170km riding and 40.1km of running, and am stoked to have accomplished that! Almost an Ironman ... spread across 7 days

Yesterday's brick was quite promising too; my legs were already tired from the weekend but I still managed to run pretty strongly off the bike, and managed to average 4:43min/km (somewhere around 7:40/mile I think) for just shy of 8km.

I'm still a little intimidated by the swim - I've done a couple of 1500m OWS and one 2000m, but with all of those I was pretty spent by the end. I'm usually easily sub 9min for a 500m in a sprint tri, so I hope I can be sub 30min for my Oly and still perform well on the bike and run! Really looking forward to it now, and feel well prepared and well pleased with the massive progress I've made on this program, thanks so much

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic 3x Balanced 16/20 Week Group Rss Feed  

of 8