General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic 3x Balanced 16/20 Week Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2011-04-06 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3429764

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Olympic 3x Balanced 16 Week Group
MalcolmG - 2011-04-04 8:19 PM

Having just finished my peak week, and the first brick session of the taper, I thought I might check in Last week was hard work, mostly just finding time for all the workouts, but I did them all  - 7.2km swimming, 170km riding and 40.1km of running, and am stoked to have accomplished that! Almost an Ironman ... spread across 7 days

Yesterday's brick was quite promising too; my legs were already tired from the weekend but I still managed to run pretty strongly off the bike, and managed to average 4:43min/km (somewhere around 7:40/mile I think) for just shy of 8km.

I'm still a little intimidated by the swim - I've done a couple of 1500m OWS and one 2000m, but with all of those I was pretty spent by the end. I'm usually easily sub 9min for a 500m in a sprint tri, so I hope I can be sub 30min for my Oly and still perform well on the bike and run! Really looking forward to it now, and feel well prepared and well pleased with the massive progress I've made on this program, thanks so much

Wow, you are doing really well! Thank you for sharing your accomplishments with us!

2011-04-09 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3053654

New user

Portland

Hey hey, just moved from Florida to Portland Oregon....found this site by chance. Wow very impressive...we are so lucky.

Finished week one on my own--not knowing what I was doing...at my age that can be dangerous..So excited there is a site like this. I will take it slow as Portland has killer hills and I don't want to blow out my knees. Can bike 20 miles w/out too much problem---flat, swim 1/2 mile easy--pool, and totally suck at running...a whimpy two mile run in like 30 mins... weight room going well, for a 49yr old mama who is 30lbs overweight. Good on gear.

Any tips for running, I'm all ears...

2011-04-13 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3437837

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
lynloprinzi - 2011-04-09 4:23 PM

Hey hey, just moved from Florida to Portland Oregon....found this site by chance. Wow very impressive...we are so lucky.

Finished week one on my own--not knowing what I was doing...at my age that can be dangerous..So excited there is a site like this. I will take it slow as Portland has killer hills and I don't want to blow out my knees. Can bike 20 miles w/out too much problem---flat, swim 1/2 mile easy--pool, and totally suck at running...a whimpy two mile run in like 30 mins... weight room going well, for a 49yr old mama who is 30lbs overweight. Good on gear.

Any tips for running, I'm all ears...

Welcome!! Take a look at the couch to 5K program here on BT and use that until you feel good going 30 minutes. When is your first triathlon?

2011-04-14 2:24 PM

User image

Hamilton
Hey all.,.,.   Just getting started on the 3x 16 week program and was curious where everyone was at in their training...   I hope to get a lot of help and encouragement through this site and so far, it seems promising..  
2011-04-14 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3447072

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

datafur - 2011-04-14 2:24 PM Hey all.,.,.   Just getting started on the 3x 16 week program and was curious where everyone was at in their training...   I hope to get a lot of help and encouragement through this site and so far, it seems promising..  

Hello again! I see you found your way to the forum! When is your race?

2011-04-14 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3447118

User image

Hamilton
Tri-Indy is the race that I am really concentrating on.  It will be my first Oly distance but I plan on doing at least one or two sprint distances before that race...    Race is Aug 7

Edited by datafur 2011-04-14 2:47 PM

2011-04-15 5:36 AM
in reply to: #3447134

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

datafur - 2011-04-14 2:45 PM Tri-Indy is the race that I am really concentrating on.  It will be my first Oly distance but I plan on doing at least one or two sprint distances before that race...    Race is Aug 7

Great! Let us know if you have any questions about the plan and be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

2011-04-17 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland, NZ
Well, I did my Oly yesterday and it was fantastic! The program did a great job of building my fitness to a level where I was able to surpass my expectations and perform really well Thanks for your help Jessica & BT! My race report is here
2011-04-18 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3451308

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

MalcolmG - 2011-04-17 4:48 PM Well, I did my Oly yesterday and it was fantastic! The program did a great job of building my fitness to a level where I was able to surpass my expectations and perform really well Thanks for your help Jessica & BT! My race report is here

Congratulations!! What's next for you?

2011-04-18 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland, NZ
Well tri season is over down here, and I'm planning to focus on running over autumn/winter. The big one is going to be my first marathon in October, but I'm also going to do a number of other running events along the way (at least one half marathon and probably a number of trail races)
2011-04-25 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3453250

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

MalcolmG - 2011-04-18 3:24 PM Well tri season is over down here, and I'm planning to focus on running over autumn/winter. The big one is going to be my first marathon in October, but I'm also going to do a number of other running events along the way (at least one half marathon and probably a number of trail races)

Best of luck in your running goals!

2011-04-26 11:41 AM

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Hi - I would like to join this group. 

I have signed up for 2 olympic triathlons this summer and will officially begin training for the first on May 9th (the Monday after a half marathon).  The first olympic tri is July 10th and the 2nd is August 28th.  I also have a sprint tri 2 weeks before the first olympic. 

I'm going to have to do an adjusted program for the first one.  I'll only have 9 weeks of the training plan.  I was going to do an olympic 3x run/bike 2x swim plan.  I figured this group is the closest to that plan, so I hope that's ok.  My schedule is pretty busy, so I'm hoping I can fit all of the workouts in as well as one strength workout a week.  I have a pretty good training base going in to the training plan, so I don't think I will have an issue with the 9 vs. 16 week. 

Thanks!

Ryan

2011-04-26 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3466659

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
rdietz - 2011-04-26 11:41 AM

Hi - I would like to join this group. 

I have signed up for 2 olympic triathlons this summer and will officially begin training for the first on May 9th (the Monday after a half marathon).  The first olympic tri is July 10th and the 2nd is August 28th.  I also have a sprint tri 2 weeks before the first olympic. 

I'm going to have to do an adjusted program for the first one.  I'll only have 9 weeks of the training plan.  I was going to do an olympic 3x run/bike 2x swim plan.  I figured this group is the closest to that plan, so I hope that's ok.  My schedule is pretty busy, so I'm hoping I can fit all of the workouts in as well as one strength workout a week.  I have a pretty good training base going in to the training plan, so I don't think I will have an issue with the 9 vs. 16 week. 

Thanks!

Ryan

Best of luck to you!

2011-05-22 11:45 PM

User image

Arizona

Hi!  I have done a couple sprint tri's but the olympic distance is a new beast for me.  The cycling is my weakest area by far, and my bike needs work (front derailleur broken).  The olympic distance triathlon I'm doing is in mid-August so I'm down to 12 weeks of formal training, but for the past month have been riding 3x/week and running 2-3x/week so am on course to pick up beginning month 2.  I also have been doing yoga once a week to stretch out all these new muscles/tendons/ligaments that have been working so hard for me.  Starting next week I'll begin adding in a couple swims in the evenings.

The area that I live in is pretty hilly, so it's pretty much impossible for me to get a long easy ride in, plus with the front derailleur broken it's pretty much guaranteed that I have to stand and pump to get up many of these hills since I'm not that strong of a cyclist.  I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of overtraining.  Yesterday I did a 14 mile ride (average 3% grade) in an hour and this morning my 3 mile run was r-o-u-g-h.  Don't know if it was an off-day or beginning signs of overtraining. 

I work 3/4 time and have a baby at home so am limited to riding near my house and doing so while the rest of the neighborhood is still sleeping.  I suppose I am looking for some feedback on my training schedule and cycling options.  I do plan on replacing my front derailleur - at first I was thinking I wouldn't and get in shape the old-fashioned way, but now I'm thinking perhaps it would be wise to do so.   Also, would you consider yoga on an off-day part of an easy workout?  How would you best fit that in?  Also I was thinking I would start once a week on short/med bike days on going directly into a 1-2 mile jog to help start training for the transition.  Would that be too much too?

ohhh - and lastly - I don't have a tri-suit, it seems like some tri-shorts would be nice.  Do you have a triathlon member market for people to buy/sell from other members?  I'm rather frugal and would prefer not to shell out the full price, when there is likely a very lightly used pair sitting neglected in someone's drawer.  Thanks!

2011-06-01 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3513024

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
raeray80 - 2011-05-22 11:45 PM

Hi!  I have done a couple sprint tri's but the olympic distance is a new beast for me.  The cycling is my weakest area by far, and my bike needs work (front derailleur broken).  The olympic distance triathlon I'm doing is in mid-August so I'm down to 12 weeks of formal training, but for the past month have been riding 3x/week and running 2-3x/week so am on course to pick up beginning month 2.  I also have been doing yoga once a week to stretch out all these new muscles/tendons/ligaments that have been working so hard for me.  Starting next week I'll begin adding in a couple swims in the evenings.

The area that I live in is pretty hilly, so it's pretty much impossible for me to get a long easy ride in, plus with the front derailleur broken it's pretty much guaranteed that I have to stand and pump to get up many of these hills since I'm not that strong of a cyclist.  I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of overtraining.  Yesterday I did a 14 mile ride (average 3% grade) in an hour and this morning my 3 mile run was r-o-u-g-h.  Don't know if it was an off-day or beginning signs of overtraining. 

I work 3/4 time and have a baby at home so am limited to riding near my house and doing so while the rest of the neighborhood is still sleeping.  I suppose I am looking for some feedback on my training schedule and cycling options.  I do plan on replacing my front derailleur - at first I was thinking I wouldn't and get in shape the old-fashioned way, but now I'm thinking perhaps it would be wise to do so.   Also, would you consider yoga on an off-day part of an easy workout?  How would you best fit that in?  Also I was thinking I would start once a week on short/med bike days on going directly into a 1-2 mile jog to help start training for the transition.  Would that be too much too?

ohhh - and lastly - I don't have a tri-suit, it seems like some tri-shorts would be nice.  Do you have a triathlon member market for people to buy/sell from other members?  I'm rather frugal and would prefer not to shell out the full price, when there is likely a very lightly used pair sitting neglected in someone's drawer.  Thanks!

Great questions!

First, get your bike fixed! You are getting some great training in on the bike, but it is hurting your running, so it's time to fix the bike.

If you want to do yoga, it's ok to do it on your off day as long as it's not really difficult yoga.

Once a week or once every two weeks is enough for running off the bike. It's not necessary at all, so don't feel as if you MUST do it. If you WANT to do it, start with every other week and see how you like it.

We have a forum here on BT for classifieds. You should be able to find some shorts there if you are patient.

2011-12-03 10:51 PM

Hey, I'm Chad... I'm a veteran of quite a few multi-day cycling events but I just started tri this last season. I did my first sprint with respectable times using a training plan I found here and it went great! I've decided to go for an olympic distance at WILDFLOWER next year so I plan on starting this training plan in January... using December to ramp up a bit after some time off. Looking forward to all the help I can get!

One question for clarity. When I did the sprint program I ALWAYS did the two-a days back to back because I assumed they were meant to be done that way. Its true that we should attempt to separate them for better results and only to them back-to-back on the days hi lighted? thx, chad

2012-01-10 5:48 PM

I have just completed my first seson (sprint and relays only).

I am still a little apprehensive with the swim but I do look forward to increasing my skill level in all events.

[email protected] 

2012-02-01 3:50 AM

Subject: RE: Olympic 3x Balanced 16/20 Week Group

HI all

Looking to do my first triathlon this year and thinking of starting this plan.

Any feedback on the plan? I am not a total beginner, running distance is no problem, cycling should be fine with a bit of training.... its the swim,,, but I dont want to do the swim concentrate plan as it seems to have too little bike.

Thoughts? any help?

Ian

2012-02-01 4:14 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
12 week RPE Oly plan here, hopefully I'm welcomed also =)
2012-02-15 3:49 PM

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
Fifetriguy, Fife Scotland.  Using the 20 wk plan for Tristar Orly 111 in July.  Been competing since 2009.  Entered an olympic last year only to have the swim halved due to weather conditions.  Swimming defo my weakness.  Have just completed a Tri camp with Joe Beer and Dan Bullock in Lanzarote.  Swim coaching was A1 hoping to keep on improving.
2012-02-15 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4022466

User image

Regular
Melbourne
Hey Ian,

If you do all the times (dont worry about distance too much), but be consistent in achieving the swim time goals, you will improve significantly over the 16/20 weeks. Your volume will increase at a manageable rate, your distances will be enough (based on the times allocated), to get you to race day the best you've been. Have faith in the plan - try and be as consistent as you can....... and of course - ENJOY

Edited by anturtle 2012-02-15 7:11 PM

2012-04-30 7:59 AM

New user

Needham, MA

Hello all...I'm just entering this Tri-world. Excited to regain fitness and use the 16 week program to prepare for an Olympic distance in the fall. Question...I'm losing some weight right now...should I minimize my running training early on? I've got a strong cycling background and running too (but long ago) and I know the swim will likely be my most difficult segment. So, would I be well served to focus on swim-bike initially until a little aerobic form is established before running?

Thanks,

Ehren

2012-05-18 12:14 AM

Hello, I am about to start this program for my first tri in November. I am an expat Canadian living in Thailand. Looking forward to reading and learning about this fantastic sport.
2012-10-15 5:13 AM

\

Hi Guys,

I'm starting this program on Tuesday of this week. I'm a bit scared and a bit excited!

Cool

2012-10-15 11:46 PM

I'm on week 3 of the 20 week. Changed around the days of the week slightly to coincide with my schedule. I think I will repeat the first month for a couple reasons: 1)It will give me more volume training for the next harder months, and 2)It will get the schedule closer for next tri season. I am starting to train more and more indoors also (stationary bike, indoor track/treadmill). I did my first sprint tri a month ago and want to work my way up to Oly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic 3x Balanced 16/20 Week Group Rss Feed  

of 8