General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic 3x Balanced 16/20 Week Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2012-11-02 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3053654

Subject: RE: Olympic 3x Balanced 16/20 Week Group
I have been training for a tri in March 2013 in Ocala, FL. I am going to start this plan on Monday and see how it goes. I liked the excel sheet that one triathlete posted. It was a 16 week program and I am doing the 20, but it saved me a lot of time on making a plan. Thank you. I will post in a few weeks to update how my training is going. Tongue out

2012-12-19 10:52 AM

User image

New user

Hi Guys,

Names John I'm Personal Trainer by trade and looking to become a Tri Coach in the New Year. I just love pushing myself to the limit guess why I chose to do Tri's My Tri goal is to do an Olympic distance by Sept. So my training starts on the weekend if my therapist allows it (dislocated shoulder).

2012-12-20 1:54 PM

Hi guys,

After a break of several years I am ready to get back into the EXCITING world of tris and aquabike.  Can't wait to get started!!!  I hope this is the place to  get the encouragement needed to make it through a successful 2013 season.  My lofty goal is to beat out four other women in my age group. I have their names hanging in my office, I have the vision, now I need to produce.  GAME ON!!!!!

See ya.

G

2013-01-02 6:20 PM

I am interested in joining this group. I have completed sprints and I am ready to try this distance.
2013-01-08 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Lack of time, etc. causes me to make this short! I did a HIM last year (June, 2013) ...injury and circumstance have led me back to being pretty out of shape. HIM training was pretty hard on my family, so I think this time I will go for an Oly. I would like to do well, and the competition where I live in Massachusetts is pretty tough. So, here goes something, right?
2013-02-18 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Hey all,

I would like to join this group. I have been building a base since the beginning of the year. I completed 1 sprint a couple of years ago. I am registered to do HIM in August. I will be completeing in an olympic in March, so I am condensing this to a 12 week plan. i am starting on week 5 due to the base established. I am looking foreward to training with you all and all the input you may have.

Thanks

2013-06-04 2:54 PM
in reply to: mbehr1983

I've just begun my training. I have a question though - what's the nutritional requirements for this program?
2013-06-05 12:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion

I guess it depends on your goals.  Be careful if you are already trying to cut back on calories for weightloss WHILE increasing your triathlon training...too much of a deficit and you will be tired, hungry and grouchy and your workouts will suffer.  

On the longer runs, rides, swims...longer than 30-45 minutes, make sure you have eaten something (full meal or even a snack) a few hours before - don't do the long workouts on an empty stomach.

2013-06-05 7:31 PM
in reply to: Ron

User image

New user

Richmond
As for nutrition, what are some good ideas? I have am trying to use my training as a way to drop a few pounds but it seems that there are days that I am starving and other days that I am not. I have been trying to incorperate lots of protein but it seems that I am not getting enough. I am just afraid that I am not fueling myself enough on the 1800 calories that I am eating a day. Any ideas on how to add nutrition and get the fuel I need to train correctly?

Victoria
2013-08-21 4:58 AM
in reply to: victoriarn1019

User image

Hi all.

I am completly new to tri. I am 28 years, 180 cm, and weighs around 75 kg.
I have been researching for the past couple of days and have now found this program.
I have been a bit lazy this summer, but am used to running. I run a 10 km around 55 minutes and i usually train crossfit 1-2 times a week.
I can swim, but mostly breast stroke, so I am not very fast. I want to learn to be good a crawl, but I guess it will come at some point.
I am fairly new to cycling, I had a mtb, but it got stolen around 2 years ago, and since then I haven't really been on a bike. So I have to go out and get a new one.

My goal is to be able to run an olympic tri within the next year.

My question about this program is if I should do the 16 or the 20?

I work 12 and 24 hours shift, I can run and bike at work, in our workout room. But swimming will be a problem. I can move it to the day after work, and then swim and run the same day.
I plan on continuing with crossfit on tuesdays and thursdays.

So lets say I have a 24 hour shift on a monday, then I'll do the biking on work. But I would have to do the run, swim and cross fit on tuesday. Would that be too much?
Would it be better to move it around so that I would bike and do some muscle workout at work, and then run and swim tuesday?
Should I rather take the 20 week schedule, and then once in a while cut swim or crossfit out?

I apricate any help, and I am really glad that I found this page, so much awesome information!

Mikkel Schreiber
2013-08-21 7:10 PM
in reply to: Schreiber77

User image

Champion

When I lift (crossfit) and swim on the same day - the swim suffers if the strength workout is first - especially the harder the workout is.  Either have the strength workout later in the day or on a different day.  

Run and swim on Tuesday sounds better.  Though try not to cut swimming at this stage too much, getting those workout in will be critical to develop a good crawl.  

2013-12-19 10:20 AM

Just finished my first sprint. Looking to do an Olympic next.
2014-02-08 6:16 AM

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

Might be a silly question but are the times provided in the plan inclusive of warm up and cool down or should I add additional 10 minutes on the beginning and end of each workout?

Thank you. :)

Edited by Karolstopa 2014-02-08 6:33 AM
2014-02-08 10:08 AM
in reply to: Karolstopa

User image

Champion

The times do include the warmup and cooldown.

2014-02-14 10:12 AM
in reply to: Tri Take Me Away

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ready to start training for the summer triathlons here in Miami. How has the plan worked for everyone?
2014-02-19 8:37 PM

Hi,
I'm 46, female prepping for my first Olympic, having completed two sprints last year. One was the lovely Jersey Girl, the other in Hightstown, NJ. I surprised myself with competitive bike times for my age and a reasonable run. But, lousy swim, so I've been taking swim lessons. Now, it's time to get focused on the May race.

Clearly, I'm setting out too late for a 16 week program. I'm entered for my first Olympic tri in mid May. I've been training indoor rowing, weights and swimming through the winter, so I'm fit, but just now embarking on prep for the race. I sat down to look for guidance and discovered that I should have done that 4 weeks ago. I'm going to jump in at week 5 and hope for the best, I think. I'm probably somewhere between the 2x and 3x programs, and I don't understand all the language in the instructions. All the guidance is a little daunting. But, not as daunting as a cold lake in May, so I guess I'm on the wagon now.

Advice to someone new to the distance would be welcome. I'm still getting used to putting on a wet suit and figuring out what to wear. I'd love to meet a buddy, particularly anyone who's going to the Harry Man in NY State this May.

2014-02-20 8:21 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Champion

Originally posted by [email protected] Hi, I'm 46, female prepping for my first Olympic, having completed two sprints last year. One was the lovely Jersey Girl, the other in Hightstown, NJ. I surprised myself with competitive bike times for my age and a reasonable run. But, lousy swim, so I've been taking swim lessons. Now, it's time to get focused on the May race. Clearly, I'm setting out too late for a 16 week program. I'm entered for my first Olympic tri in mid May. I've been training indoor rowing, weights and swimming through the winter, so I'm fit, but just now embarking on prep for the race. I sat down to look for guidance and discovered that I should have done that 4 weeks ago. I'm going to jump in at week 5 and hope for the best, I think. I'm probably somewhere between the 2x and 3x programs, and I don't understand all the language in the instructions. All the guidance is a little daunting. But, not as daunting as a cold lake in May, so I guess I'm on the wagon now. Advice to someone new to the distance would be welcome. I'm still getting used to putting on a wet suit and figuring out what to wear. I'd love to meet a buddy, particularly anyone who's going to the Harry Man in NY State this May.

Welcome!  I did put together the 16/20 week plans, so if you have any questions specifically, please post them here.  It looks like you are maintaining good fitness throughout the winter and working on the swim.  What yardage are you up to?  How many times per week are you swimming?

You should be fine jumping in at week 5 - assuming the volume isn't a jump from what you are currently doing - especially for the run .

2014-02-20 9:46 AM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Ron,
I'm doing this plan and love it so far. I've always converted time based plans to distance based in the past, but decided to just use the time this go around.

One of the modifications that I made to the plan is that on the short SWIM-BIKE day and the long SWIM-BIKE day I have added a run brick to the workout. Nothing major, initially started time based and followed your percentage increase (and decreases), but found that the run brick just got pretty long by the end of the training plan. Right now I'm something like 1.5 miles on Monday and 2.5 miles on Friday

I was thinking about just capping the runs at 2 and 3 miles on those days, since the point is just really getting that initial transition in so the legs get used to it. I also had built my running up quite a bit and was scared to move back to three days of it!

What say you? Should I keep making those runs longer? Is it bad that I've modified the plan in this way?
2014-08-06 10:01 AM

User image

I used this plan starting in March 2014 and just completed my first triathlon at New York City in 2:54 last weekend. I basically took this plan and put it in my work outlook calendar each day. I probably hit 80-90% of the plan with some shuffling due to personal schedule. I recommend this plan if you are a beginner and can complete the min requirements and can look at 6 months to a race. I never felt over stressed but I did make sure to listen to my body and not overdue it and trust the plan.

2014-08-06 11:09 AM
in reply to: thedobler

User image

Champion

Originally posted by thedobler I used this plan starting in March 2014 and just completed my first triathlon at New York City in 2:54 last weekend. I basically took this plan and put it in my work outlook calendar each day. I probably hit 80-90% of the plan with some shuffling due to personal schedule. I recommend this plan if you are a beginner and can complete the min requirements and can look at 6 months to a race. I never felt over stressed but I did make sure to listen to my body and not overdue it and trust the plan.

That's awesome!  And you seemed to be consistent in hitting most of the workouts.  Though I would have to say that actually missing a few workouts of any training plan is a good thing - a little bit of extra rest goes a long way.  We tend to keep pushing ourselves until we get injured...it's hard to take a rest day when you have nailed 100% of the workouts and you want to exceed last weeks training volume.

Good job!

2015-06-11 6:57 AM
in reply to: cjwalker247

Good day,

please could share this excel sheet?

[email protected]

Rgds

2017-12-30 4:46 AM

Hi,

anyone starting this plan for the 2018 season?

Peter
2019-02-06 9:44 PM

User image

56yrs, started program beginning of year, about to finish month 1 (repeated week 3 due to travel). Have only done 2 sprints before, both over 4 years ago. Enjoying it so far and slowly the weight is coming off. Following the program almost to the letter and so far no injuries or even excessive soreness. Need to drop another 15 so I can fit into my tri suit from 4 years ago.

The swimming is the time consuming event - its almost an hour drive each way to the pool that is US Masters, and they start at 5am MWF so I'm on the road a tad after 4am.

So far all of the jogging/walking is on a treadmill and most of the biking is on an spin stationary. Don't have a road bike, using an old 1983 Specialized StuntJumper that I had from college that I have turned into a commuter bike for when I travel to the Bay Area.

Edited by tyab 2019-02-06 9:49 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic 3x Balanced 16/20 Week Group Rss Feed  

of 8