General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint: 16/20 Week 2X or 3X Balanced Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-10-01 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3123253

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Sprint: 16 Week 3X Balanced
gk4455 - 2010-09-29 7:41 AM I'm Gerry. I am totally new to this tri stuff.  I went to see one on saturday in Tucson.  I have a strong base in cycling (about 200 mi a week on various club rides) and have swam for years.  Untill about a month ago, i had never ran further than a quarter mile so i am workiong on building my running  base.  I plan to start the Sprint: 16 Week 3X Balanced plan on the first of november with a goal of doing my first tri in march.  This plan fits my needs perfectly however I am curious that the plan seems to be directed at a particular event.  Since i plan on trying to compete maybe each or every other weekend,  how do I maintain the competitive level that I expect to have at the end of week 16 of this plan.

thanks
Gerry

Hi Gerry! Welcome to BT and to triathlon training. When training for a triathlon, it's important to use a periodized plan that prepares you systematically for a race. I don't know many people (if any) that race every weekend or every other weekend. It's just too draining - physically, financially, etc. Most people will not race more than once a month.
I would recommend you use the 16 week plan to prepare for your first triathlon, then decide that the rest of your season will look like and choose a race that you want to be your best race of the season. Train for that race and add in some others for practice along the way.

2010-10-05 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3123253

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
gk4455 - 2010-09-29 5:41 AM I'm Gerry. I am totally new to this tri stuff.  I went to see one on saturday in Tucson.  I have a strong base in cycling (about 200 mi a week on various club rides) and have swam for years.  Untill about a month ago, i had never ran further than a quarter mile so i am workiong on building my running  base.  I plan to start the Sprint: 16 Week 3X Balanced plan on the first of november with a goal of doing my first tri in march.  This plan fits my needs perfectly however I am curious that the plan seems to be directed at a particular event.  Since i plan on trying to compete maybe each or every other weekend,  how do I maintain the competitive level that I expect to have at the end of week 16 of this plan.

thanks
Gerry

Competing every weekend is tough but doable. It depends on what distance you are doing, about the most I would recommend for an every or every other weekend schedule is Olympic. Anything more than that (HIM, IM) and you will need recovery time after the race.

As far as what workouts to do, some of that is just going to be trying it out and seeing what works, but I'd pick a week from the plan that is at or near the peak for distances/times and use that, or a decent alternative is to do shorter but more intense workouts.

You're in Tucson, so there is a lot of support in the local area. Maybe one of these days I'll come down and you can school me up Mt. Lemmon! Make sure you stop into the Arizona forum and meet everyone!

John
2010-10-09 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3055175

Hey all, my name is Nick and I am a beginner.  Sounds like a twelve step program intro...LOL.  I have picked a race with plenty of time to train for it.  I am going to do the St Patricks Day Sprint Tri in Keler Texas.  I am probably not the average beginner, I think the swim will be the easiest for me and then the run.  I am working on the biking and I need to learn a LOT about nutrition.  Speaking of which, does anyone know what I should be taking or eating to help the healing process after training?
2010-10-09 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3142274

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
nickh68 - 2010-10-09 4:46 AM Hey all, my name is Nick and I am a beginner.  Sounds like a twelve step program intro...LOL.  I have picked a race with plenty of time to train for it.  I am going to do the St Patricks Day Sprint Tri in Keler Texas.  I am probably not the average beginner, I think the swim will be the easiest for me and then the run.  I am working on the biking and I need to learn a LOT about nutrition.  Speaking of which, does anyone know what I should be taking or eating to help the healing process after training?

Milk is about the best recovery drink out there, chocolate is slightly better than regular. If you don't want that, just work on replenishing fluids and getting some carbs/protein after your workout. Most of recovery is a good diet in an all around sense, and getting enough rest.

Welcome to the "program"! :D

John
2010-10-10 7:40 AM

Thanks John, I will try milk.
2010-10-11 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3142274

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
nickh68 - 2010-10-09 6:46 AM Hey all, my name is Nick and I am a beginner.  Sounds like a twelve step program intro...LOL.  I have picked a race with plenty of time to train for it.  I am going to do the St Patricks Day Sprint Tri in Keler Texas.  I am probably not the average beginner, I think the swim will be the easiest for me and then the run.  I am working on the biking and I need to learn a LOT about nutrition.  Speaking of which, does anyone know what I should be taking or eating to help the healing process after training?

Post workout is when you should have a nice dose of carbs and protein. Chocolate milk is pretty great, but not necessary after every workout. Best sources of post-workout carbs are whole foods like sweet potatoes and fruit.

2010-10-13 5:55 AM

New user

oro valley az
Subject: speed or distance
Although I am not planning to start the 16 week program until november 1, I am trying to build my running base, since I had never run more than a quarter mile and that was over 40 years ago.

I have built up my distance now to where I can run three miles but the time is very slow, more than  28 minutes.  Should I continue to work on incrasing the distance or work on lowering the time or some combination of both.

thanks
Gerry
2010-10-13 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3148865

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: speed or distance
gk4455 - 2010-10-13 5:55 AM Although I am not planning to start the 16 week program until november 1, I am trying to build my running base, since I had never run more than a quarter mile and that was over 40 years ago.

I have built up my distance now to where I can run three miles but the time is very slow, more than  28 minutes.  Should I continue to work on incrasing the distance or work on lowering the time or some combination of both.

thanks
Gerry

Keep working on increasing the amount you run at an easy pace. Your speed will increase as your endurance increases. You really aren't as slow as you think you are, btw.
2010-10-14 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3149614

New user

oro valley az
Subject: RE: speed or distance
thanks,

gerry
2010-10-23 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3125236

New user

oro valley az
fred,

i am just setting up my program to stsrt in november so i was looking at yours for some tips.  your swim times are great.  i use meters instead of yards, but it doesnt take alot of math to be impressed with your swim ability.  i am at about 24:30 or so for 1000 meters and am starting with a coach next saturday.  i would love to get somewhere under 20 minutes but i will see how it goes.

keep up the good work

gerry
2010-10-25 4:04 PM

New user
Valencia, CA
Greetings Sprint 16 Week Balanced group.  I just completed the couch to 5k aggressive program and am now jumping into my first tri training and am very excited.  I am doing the balanced 20 week, 2x program since my tri is in march and I have time constraints.  This seems to be the closest fit to that program.  I know this plan will be just as helpful as my 5k plan.  thanks for having me!

2010-10-26 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3171308

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
wskalsky - 2010-10-25 4:04 PM Greetings Sprint 16 Week Balanced group.  I just completed the couch to 5k aggressive program and am now jumping into my first tri training and am very excited.  I am doing the balanced 20 week, 2x program since my tri is in march and I have time constraints.  This seems to be the closest fit to that program.  I know this plan will be just as helpful as my 5k plan.  thanks for having me!

Welcome! Have you picked your first triathlon race yet? When is it?
2010-10-26 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3172138

New user
Valencia, CA
Registered for the Desert Tri on March 5, 2011. Its an OWS swim in La quinta California. 546 yards, 14 mile bike and a 5k at the end.  Very excited about it. Booked the hotel room as well.
2010-10-28 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3173154

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
wskalsky - 2010-10-26 1:09 PM Registered for the Desert Tri on March 5, 2011. Its an OWS swim in La quinta California. 546 yards, 14 mile bike and a 5k at the end.  Very excited about it. Booked the hotel room as well.

Awesome!!
2010-12-01 11:31 AM

Hi!

I've been a runner for about 2 years now, running another Half-Marathon this weekend and then going into this program on the 20th of December to participate in my first tri next year .

One of the questions I actually had is if anyone in here owns pets and how they manage that, training, and travel for their tris? My boyfriend and I were thinking about getting a dog, but we're worried if I'm training for a Sprint, he's training for an Ironman, and how having a dog would impact that.

So glad to see other people who are starting out just like me  
2010-12-01 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3232274

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
HenleyFenix - 2010-12-01 11:31 AM Hi!

I've been a runner for about 2 years now, running another Half-Marathon this weekend and then going into this program on the 20th of December to participate in my first tri next year .

One of the questions I actually had is if anyone in here owns pets and how they manage that, training, and travel for their tris? My boyfriend and I were thinking about getting a dog, but we're worried if I'm training for a Sprint, he's training for an Ironman, and how having a dog would impact that.

So glad to see other people who are starting out just like me  

Welcome to BT!
I know there are lots of dog lovers here on BT. Some bring their pets with them and stay at pet-friendly hotels, some use dog sitters, and some use kennels when they travel. A walk with your dog can be a great cool-down after a hard workout, too! Dogs need lots of love, and I know people that don't spend enough time with their pets due to leaving early in the morning for a workout, straight to work, and then another workout right after work. Since you will be training for a sprint, you will hopefully have more free time than your boyfriend, but it might make you mad to have to do more than your fair share! Just a lot to think about, isn't it?!

2010-12-08 5:55 PM

User image

New user

Oahu, HI
Hi everyone,

My name is Julie and I just started training for my first Tri (which is in March). I am so excited about it I can barely contain myself!! I am working off this program and so far so good. I definitely realize that my weakness is my swim. I am excited to progress and look forward to learning alot from people on this site!

Aloha,
Julie
2010-12-10 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3241982

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jestrella - 2010-12-08 5:55 PM Hi everyone,

My name is Julie and I just started training for my first Tri (which is in March). I am so excited about it I can barely contain myself!! I am working off this program and so far so good. I definitely realize that my weakness is my swim. I am excited to progress and look forward to learning alot from people on this site!

Aloha,
Julie

Welcome to BT, Julie! Thanks for joining the discussion. I am excited for you! Make sure to keep us up to date on how your training is going.
2011-01-03 10:54 PM

Hi my name is Frank.
I'm retired military. I always wanted to do a triathlon. I have been running and doing well but I got put down in August with Plantar Fasciitis (increasing my mileage too fast,I should know better). I got the go ahead from my doctor last week finally. My goal is race a triathlon sometime in August. I'm 77 very soon to be 78. If there are some super seniors in the group,it would be great to swap training tips.

2011-01-04 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3275772

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
anchorme - 2011-01-03 10:54 PM Hi my name is Frank. I'm retired military. I always wanted to do a triathlon. I have been running and doing well but I got put down in August with Plantar Fasciitis (increasing my mileage too fast,I should know better). I got the go ahead from my doctor last week finally. My goal is race a triathlon sometime in August. I'm 77 very soon to be 78. If there are some super seniors in the group,it would be great to swap training tips.

Hi Frank! SO happy to welcome you to BT! I wish you the best getting back into running. PF is such a nuisance!
2011-01-06 2:35 AM

User image

I always wanted to do a triathlon. I have been running and doing well but I got put down in August with Plantar Fasciitis (increasing my mileage too fast,I should know better). 

Hi Frank

For me it all started with plantar fasciitis. The best cardio exercise for someone with plantar fasciitis is swimming and riding a bicycle. I used to run and I got plantar fasciitis so I started to swim and cycle. Today I’m better with my PF so I ended up as a triathlete. I have finished my first olympic triathlon race two months ago.

Good luck

Edited by Ezrida 2011-01-06 2:35 AM

2011-01-06 9:23 PM

New user

Hello everyone,

I've been a runner for some time and ran a few half-marathons. I got injured last fall while doing one (meniscus). I've been off from running for several months and a friend suggested to try a triathlon training and here I am.  My swimming is weak but I am improving. Very excited to finish a tri. I'm getting butterflies in the stomach.

Gabriela 
2011-01-08 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3283581

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
gigifonseca - 2011-01-06 9:23 PM Hello everyone,

I've been a runner for some time and ran a few half-marathons. I got injured last fall while doing one (meniscus). I've been off from running for several months and a friend suggested to try a triathlon training and here I am.  My swimming is weak but I am improving. Very excited to finish a tri. I'm getting butterflies in the stomach.

Gabriela 

Hi Gabriela, and welcome to BT! Thanks for joining us. Glad you are taking well to triathlon training. Your running strength will help you a lot - just keep working on that swimming and get on your bike as much as you can over the winter.
2011-01-08 10:49 PM

Hi Frank, Really admire your spirit. 77 and still going strong. I just turned 27 and have severe PF for a few years. I think I got it from running around in combat boots. I have tried countless therapy but doesn't really permanently work.  It doesn't really hurt but just annoying every morning. I'm still on a conquest to find a better cure. Anyways,  I just started signing up a gym membership at YMCA and started with the program, hopefully this will get my ready in a few months for my first tri.  All the best! 
2011-01-11 7:15 AM
in reply to: #3287518

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
tomlin83 - 2011-01-08 10:49 PM Hi Frank, Really admire your spirit. 77 and still going strong. I just turned 27 and have severe PF for a few years. I think I got it from running around in combat boots. I have tried countless therapy but doesn't really permanently work.  It doesn't really hurt but just annoying every morning. I'm still on a conquest to find a better cure. Anyways,  I just started signing up a gym membership at YMCA and started with the program, hopefully this will get my ready in a few months for my first tri.  All the best! 

Welcome to BT! Sorry you have been struggling with PF for so long. That's got to be very frustrating.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint: 16/20 Week 2X or 3X Balanced Rss Feed  

of 7