United States
Tri Utah
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 41s
Overall Rank = 89/135
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/16
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30, loaded the truck and headed out. Had a full cup of coffee from the local gas station before leaving the valley. Bad idea when you have an hour + drive, and no potty stops... Visited with friends/members of the local tri club, nibbled on a pb&h sandwhich, sipped on some water, then took a gel about 10 minutes before getting in the water.
Event warmup:

Casual bike ride 3.5 miles from the parking area to the registration tent, then another 0.5 miles to the transition area.
Swim
  • 17m 21s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

First leg of the triangle was great. I felt good, I could tell I had been swimming more. I did have to stop once to fix my timing chip. It was a little loose, and my wetsuit was up a little higher on my leg than usual. I was feeling some serious drag from that silly chip. I stopped and shoved it up under the wetsuit, then went on with the task at hand. Second leg was not as good. Had to do some sidestroke, my rhythm was off and breathing was not easy and flowing like usual. The sidestroke just made me dizzy. By the third leg I was just wanting to be done. I didnt have any panick about the OW during this tri, and kept my eyes open underwater most of the time. I caught up to the wave ahead of me, and passed a few people from that wave. Including my hubby. About 15 yards away from the boat ramp, I managed to swallow a bunch of water. Then I tried to breathe some water in through my nose. Ugh. At least 6 people from my wave passed me because of that. Sighting was great throughout the swim. I ran up the boat ramp, then needed to walk into transition. :( I do have to say that my new goggles rock!!! I love love love them. They were well worth the arm and leg I had to pay for them. ;)
What would you do differently?:

Increase the yardage of my swims, and maybe the frequency. I have been much more consistent this summer, and it is definitely showing, but I can do much better. I could probably shave an easy 2 or 3 minutes off my swim time just by avoiding sidestroke and the need to stop.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

This is slightly faster than my usual. By about a minute. I feel like I still need to work on it though. There's room for improvement.

I think the lack of distance in my swim workouts is making me more fatigued at the end of the swim than I need to be. I have used T1, in the past, as a time to regroup and calm my heart rate, not as the quick transition to the rest of the race it is meant to be.
Bike
  • 52m 31s
  • 13.43 miles
  • 15.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a hard time on the false flats on the way out. I remember a friend telling me it would feel like I had a flat tire, and could be very frustrating and, well, demoralizing. It was a little of both, even being prepared for it. My hubby caught up with me about 3 miles into the ride, then decided to stay with me. I had to keep reminding him not to draft off me. The USAT officials were very present and visible on this course. There was one guy who passed me on the way out the first long false flat who commented on the fact that my hubby and I have matching bikes. "You two must know each other", he said. :) I managed to get behind some slowpokes a couple times, then had speedsterss passing me while I was passing someone else. Seriously. I waited for my chance, and you can't do the same? Where were the refs when I needed them? *sigh* So at the uphill in the middle of the ride, I started feeling pretty good. I even passed a few people on the way up. :) From there on out my speed was good, I felt really good, and my spirits picked up a bit. Hubby quit hugging my rear tire, too. I hit 42 mph on the way down the big downhill. FUN!!!

I need to do more core work. I had flank pain on the right side again. And I should probably get that shorter stem for my road bike and a bike fit while I'm at it... Also, doing speedwork on the bike would be a good idea.
Transition 2
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

This was so much slower than it felt. Not sure why.
Run
  • 38m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out running, feeling like I could probably run the entire 5k with walks only at the aid stations. After a couple of mintes, I started to get cramps in my calves. Walk break. Run. Foot cramp. Walk. Run. Calf cramp. And so on and so forth. I ended up deciding to do a one minute run, one minute walk routine. Hubby wanted to stay with me, even though my run pace was painfully slow for him at the beginning. I used lots of water at all 3 aid stations to dump over my head. I didn't want to get overheated like I did at the last tri a few weeks ago. It worked, and I felt better and better as the run went on. By the last mile, I was feeling downright good. Tired, but good. :) The finish line surprised me, becuase I thought I had a ways left to go, and I was saving something for the finish chute. I turned a corner and there it was. No big push to the finish, as it was only a few feet away. I got a kick out of the announcer's giggle when she realized that it was a husband and wife crossing the finish line together. :)

Walk less.
Post race
Warm down:

Got an ice cold water bottle, my race shirt, goody bag. Grabbed a banana and a bagel, more water, and later more water. Hugged some friends, cheered a few friends across the finish line. :) Then just sat and watched awards and visited.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have been really tired this week, and have been feeling like I was coming down with something. Also, I could be better about core work, and longer swims.

Event comments:

Someone needs to give those volunteers a red bull or something. Most of them were teenagers. all of them were lackluster in their enthusiasm for the race. But at least they were there, and they were cheering us on. A little. The sheriffs and highway patrol doing traffic control were awesome. They smiled, and answered back when I thanked them as I went by.
At the next race, I should really have someone else spray my sunscreen on for me. I have 2 crispy shoulders. I can't even wear a normal bra because it rubs. :( My poor shoulders.

Last updated: 2010-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:21 | 820 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 0/135
Performance: Average
Suit: Full sleeve zoot
Course: Triangle swim in Jordanelle Reservoir.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:31 | 13.43 miles | 15.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/16
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out through the countryside, false flat to the turnaround, then up a nice little hill, followed by some more false flats uphill. One large, 10% grade downhill followed by more false flats the rest of the way back.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:38:59 | 03.11 miles | 12m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/16
Course: Pavement for a mile and a half, followed by rolling trail through a primitive campground and on a boardwalk through the marshes. Finish line at a nice flat grassy area, perfect for spectators.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes