BLT
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 44s
Overall Rank = 95/362
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/29
Pre-race routine:

My pal Jennifer picked me up early, and as our routine is, she had a grande Americano waiting for me. I had already had a pbj for breakfast, so it was a good combo. Got to the race really early, scored the best spot on the end for my bike, and since there was a ton of room in transition, I could put all my stuff on the outside of the racks, plenty of room to change, etc.
Event warmup:

Is socializing a warmup? Cuz that's what I did. Being a race that is less than five miles from my house, I was fortunate to know a ton of people who were there both as participants and as cheer squads. I felt very popular! Of course, all the talking limited my warmup to stretching my arms and back once I got my wetsuit on! I was in the 9th wave, so I had plenty of time. I chose to race AG this year instead of Athena so I could go head to head with my AG friends!
Swim
  • 07m 42s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started in the front but off to the side....and sprinted my brains out at the beginning....I didn't want to get stuck in the middle of the group so decided to try this technique. It kept me pretty clear of others and I had no trouble with the pack. I did, however, find that I was all of a sudden super tired after rounding the first buoy. Mind you, 3 days earlier I had swum 2.7 miles in huge whitecaps, so my body was tired...I hadn't noticed the tiredness until then, of course! But I kept on plowing through the water and was at the shore in no time. The swim was about a minute faster than last year!
What would you do differently?:

Go into the race fresh! Swim faster. I did feel that I swam very straight, not off course at all, which was nice. Even passed a few of the men from the wave before us.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

It was a long run to the transition, so the time is long! It took me a minute to catch my breath, and one of my shoes was hard to cinch up (ratchet closure) but otherwise I was outta there pretty quickly.

Practice some more transitions, but I think it was ok.
Bike
  • 45m 38s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 18.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the ride, but was still feeling tired after Wednesday's event, so I think I could have gone faster if I had just tried a little more. Still, it was good, and my time on the hill was just 15 minutes, which is nearly my fastest! (Once, on fresh legs, I did 14 minutes). This was the first time I raced without socks on the bike, it was nice.

Push a wee bit harder. I've ridden that blasted hill so many times in the past few years that I know exactly how to get up it....just need to increase the speed....
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Nothing crazy, just got in and got out. Grabbed race belt, hat and Garmin to put on while on the course. Put socks on for the running shoes.
Run
  • 34m 58s
  • 4.3 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

My feet were cold/numb when I got off the bike, so it took about a mile to get that resolved. Still, I worked hard to keep a high cadence, as I know that keeps my times fast. I passed a lot of people during the run, and only a few passed me. In particular, two from my AG! One whizzed by so fast I knew I couldn't keep up, but the other was a woman who had been trading places with me on the bike....and I hung on her heels for the next while--she passed me at about 1.5 miles....so at around 3 miles I passed her and took a few long strides downhill, and she couldn't hang on to me. I kept running fast to the finish...sometimes I was checking the Garmin and it was reading 7 min miles! Wowsa! There was no way I was going to have another race where I was beat at the finish line by a second or two! Sure enough, I managed to beat her by about 40 seconds on the run.

Faster on the first couple of miles. Probably need to do more bricks! The run went really fast, though. In fact, the race was over very quickly!
Post race
Warm down:

More socializing! Drank water, got my jacket, ate an orange.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being tired from the Swim for Life on Wednesday.

Event comments:

It was so much fun having lots of friends cheering on the course! I felt like a minor celebrity at times! My family came, including my mom, which was her first time seeing me do a tri in all these years. That was great.

I just love this race, and will do it annually!

Please note that I took almost FIVE minutes off my time from 2009!! And I was 7th in Master's women!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:42 | 400 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/29
Overall: 127/362
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot full
Course: Counterclockwise triangle. Hard to see the first buoy due to sunshine.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:38 | 13.8 miles | 18.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/29
Overall: 103/362
Performance: Average
Nearly 3 minutes faster than 2009!
Wind:
Course: Rollers to a big downhill, then a huge stairstep uphill 3 miler back to rollers. The "Beaver Lake Hill" is notorious for being really, really challenging.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:58 | 04.3 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/29
Overall: 128/362
Performance: Good
Wow, check out that split time! Considering the first two miles were slower....the last one was sub-8 easy! I wore my Garmin to keep an eye on my speed, as I knew I had to go faster than an 8:30 average to beat last year's time!
Course: Around the lake, rolling hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-21 7:49 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: Beaver Lake Triathlon

2010-08-21 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3056799

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Beaver Lake Triathlon

Pictures soon!

2010-08-22 10:52 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Great race and super fast run. One of these years I'm going to come down and do this race. Congrats on smashing last year's time.
2010-08-23 12:23 PM

User image

Olympia, WA
Wow, excellent job!
2010-08-24 4:44 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}