United States
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 28m 20s
Overall Rank = 76/182
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 65/103 M
Pre-race routine:

Took entire family to course at 5:45 to meet up with mother-in-law as well as bro/sis-IL & their 2 kids. After getting stroller/kids/etc. set-up, just chilled out with family & friends. Race began at 6:45 pm.
Event warmup:

Ran some out & backs with BIL and solo.
Run
  • 28m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, tough course given the height of the grass. Felt kinda like running in shoe. My run itself was solid: started off conservative enough and after 1st 1/4 mile passed 20-25 folks but only passed by 1, maybe 2.
Post race
Warm down:

Went back out on course and tracked down my 9-year-old daughter and wife - both of whom were doing their first 5k race (or ever). Continued to mill about for 30 minutes or so.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, really.

Event comments:

Solid small town race. Lots of folks from gazelles to grandmas on the course. Unique feel to race with it being at the grandstand of the race which allows for spectators to sit and watch everyone run around the track. In fact, a horse was out on the course to act as the pacer. While I wish the grass was shorter, that made this a different challenge to your average 5k race. All in all, I'd say this is a fun but challenging race in which you won't PR but is different enough to merit a try.

Last updated: 2010-08-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:20 | 03.1 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/103 M
Overall: 0/182
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop course at Springdale Horse track - site of Carolina & Colonial Cup (largest steeplechase events in US). Very tall grass - 6"+ - in play for about 3/4 of course. Remaining 1/4 on gravel and/or sand dirt road through course area. The tall grass made it pretty tough. Mostly flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes